macOS Big Sur and TVPaint Animation 11

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Thierry
Site Admin

macOS Big Sur and TVPaint Animation 11

Post by Thierry »

Hello everyone,

Apple will release their next version of macOS, Big Sur, today.
As with each major release of macOS, we strongly advise you to delay this update.

From the testing we've done using the Beta versions of Big Sur over the last months, we noticed that there's high risk of incompatibility between Big Sur and the current version of TVPaint Animation 11, but an update is on the way to fix this issue.

If you have questions regarding the macOS Big Sure release, please use our Contact Form.

------
Version Française ici: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13870
日本語版はこちらへ: https://forum-jp.tvpaint.com/viewtopic. ... 2028#p2028
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
David_Fine

Re: macOS Big Sur and TVPaint Animation 11

Post by David_Fine »

Any rough timeline on when you might have a Big Sur update? Or is anyone using it without issue?
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
levni

Post by levni »

Doesn't even open at all. We are waiting
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, if you have been forced to update to Big Sur and can't run TVPaint anymore, I suggest you send us an email from the contact form on our website.
Probably a vampire
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Wouldn't it be easier if you just posted updates about the situation for all to see right here? I have TVPaint on a Mac running Catalina, and it's working fine, but I have ordered a new Macbook and so I will have Big Sur and ultimately, I would like to upgrade my iMac when I can, so I think posting here will help the user community know what to do.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
James Parker

Post by James Parker »

Hello, I have tried to install the new 'Dongleless' version of TVPaint 11.5 on my Macbook pro compatible with Big Sur, but when I log onto my TVPaint account and download and install the 11.5 software it does not function and errors appear. I believe because the older version of TVPaint 11 dongle needs to be sent back and then I can download a working update or version of TVPaint? Otherwise my account update version is not compatible with my system, I have plenty of memory and I authenticate the download; its the install driver that has errors I believe? Some advice would be appreciated because they email also says I have 30 days to claim the updated version. Thanks -JP
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Wait, I no longer need the dongle to use TVPaint? I'm using 11.0.10, but I realize that there is an 11.5 now. Why do users not receive any notification of an update? (Or at least this user.) Why did it jump from 11.0.10 to 11.5? Wouldn't 11.1 be the logical iteration? I mean, not telling you how to number your app versions, but where is 11.2 and 11.3, etc...? Did I miss those too?

I just downloaded 11.5, but I can't find any info online to indicate what is different or updated about it. Can you provide info? Thanks.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

It seems to me that version 11.5 has had a 'soft' rollout. No big announcements. (yet). I am a little surprised that a general email did not go out to all users.

When a new version is released it is posted in this pinned topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9058
where each new release is announced. (notice the title of the topic changes with each new release ... it used to be titled "TVPaint 11.0.10 is available" , now it is titled "TVPaint 11.5.0 is available !" )

Here are the notes specifically about what's new in the 11.5 release:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9058#p122154

As far as the dongle-less version , there is information here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13895

Dean mentioned: "Migrations between the old dongle system and WIBU licenses will be progressive, currently we are doing it for users who have compatibility issues with the Safenet system (for instance, with older dongle models).

We will open migrations to more users in the future, these will be available in exchange for returning the dongle to us so it can be recycled."

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Thanks. So if I update to 11.5, will it work right now with or without a dongle? I see that 11.5 is really only a few days old. Did not realize that, so maybe that's why I was not notified just yet. I will follow up with support as it's unclear whether I can do this or not before they "transition" my license. I am using Catalina on an iMac, but will soon have a new MacBook running Big Sur, so would want to install on that as well.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

If you're with a Safenet dongle, it won't work under Big Sure. TVPaint will work, but the Safenet driver for your USB dongle won't.

So the workaround is to switch from Safenet to Wibu dongleless : you can contact the customer support for that.
MarierV

Post by MarierV »

James Parker wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 20:56 Hello, I have tried to install the new 'Dongleless' version of TVPaint 11.5 on my Macbook pro compatible with Big Sur, but when I log onto my TVPaint account and download and install the 11.5 software it does not function and errors appear. I believe because the older version of TVPaint 11 dongle needs to be sent back and then I can download a working update or version of TVPaint? Otherwise my account update version is not compatible with my system, I have plenty of memory and I authenticate the download; its the install driver that has errors I believe? Some advice would be appreciated because they email also says I have 30 days to claim the updated version. Thanks -JP
This also happened to me, I installed the Post High Sierra.dmg and installed CmInstall.pkg, but once I open TVPaint, this appears:
Attachments
CodeMeter Error.png
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello MarierV,
I saw that the license hasn't been activated from your personal link (Webdepot) yet. Also, Codemeter must be running during the activation from the Webdepot.
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

MarierV wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 04:20 I installed the Post High Sierra.dmg and installed CmInstall.pkg, but once I open TVPaint, this appears:
Dean wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 10:00 Hello MarierV,
I saw that the license hasn't been activated from your personal link (Webdepot) yet. Also, Codemeter must be running during the activation from the Webdepot.

It is as Dean says, you must activate the license. The new installation procedure for dongle-less (WIBU) license is here in the user manual:

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... l-register

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
MarierV

Post by MarierV »

Thank you! Since I was also passing some emails regarding the driver, I had almost forgotten about that Webdepot email :v

Just installed TVPaint and it's working perfectly ^^
l_jancar

Post by l_jancar »

Hello,

I was unaware of the issue with Big Sur and I found out today when I tried to launch TvPaint and it didn't work. I already have tried to install 11.5 update but that did not solve anything. Can anyone please help me with this problem? Thank you so much