macOS Big Sur and TVPaint Animation 11

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Dean
Site Admin

Re: macOS Big Sur and TVPaint Animation 11

Post by Dean »

Hello, please contact us via the form on our website so we can help you with your license :)
Probably a vampire
DopeyRunr

Post by DopeyRunr »

Just trying to understand, is TVPaint still incompatible with Big Sur? When do you expect a compatible version?

I need to purchase a new Mac with Apple Silicon which will come with Big Sur (and the next new version of macOS is only about six months away).
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, TVPaint is fully compatible with Big Sur, while the dongle's driver has compatibility issues. Users who are using/going to upgrade to Big Sur can contact us via the support form on our website for instructions on how to be able to use TVPaint again.
Probably a vampire
DopeyRunr

Post by DopeyRunr »

Thanks for your reply. I don't currently own TVPaint, but I'm trying to decide between buying TVPaint or ToonBoom Harmony. If TVPaint doesn't really work well with the macOS and the MacBook Pros that came out last year, or requires a lot of workarounds to make it work, then I guess it's not really an option for me.

However, if TVPaint works perfectly on the new MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon running Big Sur, and only requires a separate message sent to support to enable it, then it's definitely something I want to consider purchasing.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, a trial version is available on our website, so you can see for yourself how it runs ;)
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Dean wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 12:44 Hello, a trial version is available on our website, so you can see for yourself how it runs ;)
Has anyone got TVPaint running on a new M1 Mac ? Has it been tested in-house by TVPaint on an M1 Mac ?
(I noticed that Toonboom is telling all their users to hold off on purchasing an M1 Mac for now , but they expect to have Harmony and Storyboard Pro
compatible with M1 Macs by first quarter of 2022.)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hi David,

Last year Apple sent us (or rather lent us...) a special development machine, running on an M1 chip, and TVPaint was working fine on it.
I don't know if the M1 chip will be the same on the new iMacs, but it should be fine.
I noticed that Toonboom is telling all their users to hold off on purchasing an M1 Mac for now
I would also recommand the same. Buying new hardware as soon as it's out (especially Apple hardware) is always a bit risky.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 03 May 2021, 10:30 Hi David,

Last year Apple sent us (or rather lent us...) a special development machine, running on an M1 chip, and TVPaint was working fine on it.
I don't know if the M1 chip will be the same on the new iMacs, but it should be fine.

Perhaps someone who has one of the new M1 Macs will be able to report if TVPaint is working. I am in need of getting a new computer and I want to stay with MacOS despite the high cost of Apple hardware because MacOS is what I am familiar with , but if it won't run TVPaint that's where I say goodbye to Mac. Because all new Apple computers will have the M1 chip I may decide to purchase a refurbished (Intel) Macbook Pro.
Thierry wrote: 03 May 2021, 10:30
I noticed that Toonboom is telling all their users to hold off on purchasing an M1 Mac for now
I would also recommand the same. Buying new hardware as soon as it's out (especially Apple hardware) is always a bit risky.
Well, M1 Macs have been available since November 2020 , so about 6 months, but I suppose they are still considered "new".
That advisement to hold off on purchasing an M1 Mac should probably be on the front page of the TVPaint website , along with the notification about the Important Information Regarding Big Sur.

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 03 May 2021, 14:39Well, M1 Macs have been available since November 2020 , so about 6 months, but I suppose they are still considered "new".
That advisement to hold off on purchasing an M1 Mac should probably be on the front page of the TVPaint website , along with the notification about the Important Information Regarding Big Sur.
Wait, it's been 6 months already ? Damn, time flies so fast.
My bad, I didn't realize it it's been that long. Then yes, TVPaint works on those Macs.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Apple Software Update constantly harrasses reminds me to update to Big Sur (I'm on Mojave). Should I do it ? Is everything good now between TVPaint 11.5.2 and Big Sur ?

Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

Hello David.

I'm currently using a dongle-less TVPaint license on macOS Big Sur: it works perfectly well. You shouldn't encounter any issues updating.
cwellems

Post by cwellems »

I attempted to install the postCatalina dongle driver on Big Sur, and after the system reboots, I don't see evidence that the install has occurred. There is no driver located in the Apps folder.

I entered a report into the contact form on tvpaint.com but after clicking send I don't see a verification that it has been sent... I would be happy to resolve the dongle issue or opt in to the dongle-less release.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, the Post-Catalina version of the dongle's driver doesn't create a folder in the Applications menu.
If your request has been received, you should get a response very soon!
Probably a vampire
cwellems

Post by cwellems »

It appears the contact form does not work for me in Chrome. I tried it again just now in Safari and I did get a confirmation that the form had been submitted. Unfortunately it is now the weekend so I will have to wait to have the dongle-free license worked out.

In the meanwhile, how can I troubleshoot the dongle installation? I checked the system library for the driver and don't see any new files created, and searched for "safenet" with no results. It seems that after the installer runs, I'm prompted to restart and then no files have changed.

What path is the driver supposed to be created in so I can validate whether it has been installed? And if it is not installing, how might I resolve this?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, sadly the Sentinel driver is simply too old to work on Big Sur, since its development has been given up by the company behind it.
Your dongleless license should be sent to you soon.
Probably a vampire