Unrecognized File Format Error Message Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Jayson

Unrecognized File Format Error Message

Post by Jayson »

Hi there!

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and is looking forward to a happy new year.

I'm not sure if this is already a known issue or something a newbie like me just might not know the simple answer to :P but I had a bit of a brush lagging issue after getting a Cintiq 16 to use with TVPaint 11 on my MacBook. So I thought it might be best to update TVPaint to 11.5 and try on there, and it did seem to fix the brush lagging issue, but every time I tried to do something other than draw (e.g. add a new frame, export a file, import a file, anything really) an error message would constantly pop up? I've attached a screenshot of the error, it basically says 'Unrecognized file format: TVPaint-clipboard-tmp.xxx. Found no plugin available to open this file'.
Again, this comes up when I try and do anything. For example, press delete to add a new frame and it pops up. Go to Export and it pops up, etc.

Randomly, there are times when it doesn't happen when I use 11.5 and all is well. But then I load 11.5 up again another day and it happens. So I go back to 11 but I have the brush lagging issue when I try to draw so I'm a bit stuck.

It may be something as simple as I'm missing a plugin that I'm not aware of, hoping somebody knows an easy fix to this and it's just me being a noob.

My specs are:

macOS Catalina 10.15.6
MacBook Pro 16 inch, 2019.
OS architecture is 64 bit.
Processor - 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory - 16GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB Intel UHD GRaphics 630 1536 MB
Using Standard TVPaint 11.5 when the error message pops up, but I also use 11 which seems to have a brush lag problem (which is a separate issue that I believe 11.5 fixes?) but Standard 11 does not come with the error.
I use a Cintiq 16. My Wacom Desktop Center driver is 6.3.41-2.

Anyway, thanks and all the best, happy new year :D
Attachments
TVPaint Error.png
TVPaint Error.png (17.58 KiB) Viewed 15503 times
Xavier

Re: Unrecognized File Format Error Message

Post by Xavier »

D'oh ! sorry, apparently this thing is popping up since Catalina.

You may need to grant TVPaint the full disk access, so that it can write into the /tmp folder. Check here : https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-fr ... ull%20Disk
Jayson

Post by Jayson »

aha, I see.

Ok, so I added TVpaint to the list of apps that have full disk access and I tried it again, and for some reason when I tried it the error came up again.

HOWEVER I restarted everything after that attempt and tried again and this time there was no sign of the error message, so I'm assuming it just needed a restart to take effect? I loaded up TVPaint two or three more times and tested and no sign of the error message so I am happy to assume that this is the solution to my issue!

Thanks again for your help and have a happy new year mate :D
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I had not mentioned it before , but with TVPaint 11.5 I sometimes get that same pop-up error message which says:

"Unrecognized file format. Found no plugin able to open this file."

The first few times it popped up I was worried, but it doesn't seem to cause any problem because the file opens anyway after I click OK . But it is a bit annoying.
I can't figure out what causes the error message to pop up , because it seems random. It only happens now and then, not every time I try to open a file in TVPaint.

I'm still on Mac OS Sierra , not Catalina .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Jayson

Post by Jayson »

yeah the first time it happened I thought I could just work around it, but then it just seemed to pop up every time I was pressing something. Like if I clicked file>export, it would pop up. Then I clicked the button to change the save destination, it popped up. And even if I got annoyed and just tried to quit, it still popped up lol

But like I said above, that allowing access to full disk solution absolutely seems to have worked for me, so if you have a similar problem you could maybe try that?
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

To be honest, this thing popping up is among those that we can hardly manage to reproduce.

Even more : we know from which part of the code is comes, but we have no good explaination why it has been coded like this. It will be refactored sooner or later.
my1ironlung

Post by my1ironlung »

Hi, I am having the same issue, and unfortunately allowing full disk access and a restart only fixes temporarily...
I'm using v 11.5 pro on mac os catalina...

one thing i tried that seemed to help the problem:
because the tmp directory is hidden, it cannot be accessed from the system finder within tvpaint unless you make hidden files visible. if you click on "set" the temp directory, then press command+shift+".", hidden files will be visible. i then set the directory to macintoshHD/private/tmp/

i'm still getting the error message on occasion, but not as frequently.

i hope this gets solved soon
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Yes, there are changes currently being tested to make these annoying popups disappear. Sorry for the bothering.
selwinnl

Post by selwinnl »

So after I installed the new 11.5 version I had the same issue. From only happening once in a few hours it got to a point where it just popped up every few seconds.

I did solve the problem after I gave full permission on both Full Disk Acces and Files and Folders within the Security & Privacy setting and rebooting the computer afterwards. I haven't received the error message since then. Though I am not sure about the safety. It could be a temporary solution.
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

I confirm that on MacOS Mohave this problem exists too. Let us know your progress, it is disturbing the workflow significantly. Thank you
-----
TV Paint 11.5.3 Windows 10
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

This is fixed in v11.5.1, which will hopefully be released next week.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

Merci beaucoup, Tierry!
-----
TV Paint 11.5.3 Windows 10