Blurry on 4K Cintiq / Mac

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Agris

Blurry on 4K Cintiq / Mac

Post by Agris »

Hey,

I'm looking for best way to make TVP work full resolution on Cintiq Pro 24. (I'm on Mac) I've tried to set resolution scaling to 2, but it makes everything 2 times bigger.
One solution that worked was using "SwitchResX" app to set resolution for my Cintiq to native 3840x2160 (remove 2x scaling basically). Then TVP "Scaling to 2" solution worked, but at the same time everything else besides TVP on this display looked tiny. I use this computer also to use other software, so it's better if it stays at default settings.

I'm sorry if this has been asked. Could find only solutions that worked for Windows. Thanks.

Using TVP Standard 11.5
Mac OS 10.15.6
Xavier

Re: Blurry on 4K Cintiq / Mac

Post by Xavier »

The project resolution does not depend on your screen resolution : you can work on a 4k project while having a lower physical resolution.
You may lose a tiny bit of precision, but it should be okay.

Or else if your Cintiq is not your primary monitor, you may set your primary monitor to a normal resolution and then the Cintiq to a 4k resolution.
Agris

Post by Agris »

Xavier wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 11:42 The project resolution does not depend on your screen resolution : you can work on a 4k project while having a lower physical resolution.
You may lose a tiny bit of precision, but it should be okay.

Or else if your Cintiq is not your primary monitor, you may set your primary monitor to a normal resolution and then the Cintiq to a 4k resolution.
Yup I know that Project resolution isn't affected by my blurry appearance of software.
The problem is that if the software doesn't run using all pixels, it all appears a bit blurry and is fatiguing eyes. There really is a difference when looking at this screen all day long :D

Yess, my Cintiq isn't my only screen, so I've currently set it to "4K" by forcing everything to be tiny. This is the only way I can get it use all pixels.
That'd be really cool, if there was a way to not hack my screen and still get all pixels used. Like other software does. Not sure how hard it is to implement though.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Agris wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 12:08 That'd be really cool, if there was a way to not hack my screen and still get all pixels used. Like other software does. Not sure how hard it is to implement though.
TVPaint cannot adjust the screen resolution by itself, sorry.

Which other software does that ?
Agris

Post by Agris »

Xavier wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 12:35
Agris wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 12:08 That'd be really cool, if there was a way to not hack my screen and still get all pixels used. Like other software does. Not sure how hard it is to implement though.
TVPaint cannot adjust the screen resolution by itself, sorry.

Which other software does that ?
There might be a misunderstanding of what we speak about :)
All software I use (have used) does that. : Photoshop, After effects, Adobe Animate, Toonboom.

High density screens automatically by OS are treated by doubling pixels for all elements. So everything stays same size, just clearer. Same happens with most software I use.

The problem is: once I set Resolution scaling to 2 in TVP - everything just become 2 times bigger without increasing pixel density. I have to first hack my screen with SwitchResX to make everything tiny (basically force OS not to use 2x pixels for everything), then having Resolution scaling = 1 in TVP opens the software crisp and tiny like everything else. At this moment when I set it to 2, it becomes 2 times bigger (the normal size is should be). Downside - all OS and other programs are tiny then.

How I expect it to work - While having default scaling options for my screen (OS configuration) I set Resolution scaling to 2 in TVP and it becomes crisp instead of 2 times bigger.

If it wasn't clear enough, I could record a video.