How to create a pencil-like line's effect Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
KasiaKrysia

How to create a pencil-like line's effect

Post by KasiaKrysia »

Hello Everybody! I hope you are having a great day (and that I am writing my quastion in a good place)

I am producing my short, and I am looking for some ways for making my life easier :) I am geting to the texturing stage, I am going for an hand drawn/graphite illustration. Here is a final render of a character:
014_walor_v1.mp4
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 668 times
To get such an effect I am starting with a clean lineart and creating masks as here:
014_no walor_v1.mp4
(791.09 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
And then I am adding textures, shadows and pencil lineart. All by hand, which I find quite charming but not neccarily effective (and for sure time-consuming). I am wondering about ways of saving some work. I thought about reusing clean lineart from cleanup stage and transform it into pencile-like lineart. After a while playing with different effects I got to this:
nogi 1.JPG
nogi 1.JPG (29.37 KiB) Viewed 13584 times

But the line is containing white as well:
nogi 2.JPG
nogi 2.JPG (23.88 KiB) Viewed 13584 times
I feel like it is a stupid problem but I couldn't find a way to get just a black colour with an aplha insead of black with white parts. Here is what's I used:
ekefty.JPG
ekefty.JPG (38.53 KiB) Viewed 13584 times
So... my question is how to get off of the whites in the line? At the stage of creating a line. (not by blending mode of the layer)
And if by any chance somebody has a thought how to make some part of my texturing process easier I would love to hear your ideas!

Thanks for reading this post and for any advices :D
animation student fromy PL
currently using: windows 10 (32GB RAM), wacom 22HD, TVPaint Pro11.5 64bit
slowtiger

Re: How to create a pencil-like line's effect

Post by slowtiger »

Image > Scan Cleaner changes all white to transparent.

Several FX only work with black and white pixels, but not with black on transparent. I duplicate my line art, merge with an all-white layer, apply the FX, and use Scan Cleaner to get black line on transparent again. I think this should be possible to automate via a George script, but that's beyond my knowledge. Anyone?
Last edited by slowtiger on 24 Feb 2021, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
KasiaKrysia

Post by KasiaKrysia »

Thank you very much! Haha, I love how easy is that. (And I feel a bit ashamed for not knowing it).

I simpy used the effest Scan Cleaner B&W and its working.

That's mean that my main problem is solved :)
johnfromncl

Post by johnfromncl »

You write
And then I am adding textures, shadows and pencil lineart. All by hand, which I find quite charming but not neccarily effective (and for sure time-consuming). I am wondering about ways of saving some work.
Something that comes to mind for the texture part of that (and which also smoothes the texture a bit from frame-to-frame) is how Sandra Fierlinger works in certain situations as described by Paul Fierlinger in his larger entry further down (the 10 Dec 2014, 10:37 one - he has several contributions in that thread) in the post "SHRINK and STRETCH of a layer" at https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8726. Sandra's workflow - when appropriate - is to paint every third frame and then shrink and stretch the layer with interpolation, and minor tidy-up if needed. It might be applicable to your workflow... for example, perhaps for the hair - or more likely - for some of the shadows.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020). 3.8 Ghz 8-core Intel Core i7, 128GB 2667 MHz DDR4. MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.
TVPaint Animation 11 Pro (11.5.2-64 bits).
Wacom Cintiq pro 24". Driver using 6.3.43-3 (avoiding 6.3.44-1)
John from Newcastle, johnfromncl Updated 2021-09-24
KasiaKrysia

Post by KasiaKrysia »

Thank you John for the suggestion. I wasn't aware that interpolation is also aviable in TVPaint. I've started using TVPaint 6 years ago and know I'm starting to learn about its possibilities. Better letter then never :lol:

'
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

KasiaKrysia wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 15:57 ... I wasn't aware that interpolation is also aviable in TVPaint.
Be aware, interpolation here means "crossfading" so in most cases you don't really want this.

Tvpaint can not actually interpolate drawings.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
KasiaKrysia

Post by KasiaKrysia »

Thank you Peter for pointing that out. Saddly it is true, but I'm currently working on using more loops while appling textures and shodows, and it is somehow faster then doing all frame separately.

But I've discovered (ha!) that using ENTER (re-apply) is coping every action, not only transformation as I thought till yeasterday. It may be very usefull while texturing more static elements, coping the same line but with diffrent configuration of brush stamps. I thought of create some handy custom panel, with comends for going to next frame and re-appling the previous action, but I could not find this among options of creating new action. I would be grateful for pointing where can I find it (if sth like exist).
KasiaKrysia

Post by KasiaKrysia »

Here is some progres with the previously uploded shot, for those who are interested. Any thoughts are very welcome 8)
(I am not sure if its a proper place to submit such stuff, sorry if I am making needless mess.)
Attachments
siostra_014-015.mp4
(12.18 MiB) Downloaded 694 times
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

KasiaKrysia wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 15:13 Here is some progres with the previously uploded shot, for those who are interested. Any thoughts are very welcome 8)
(I am not sure if its a proper place to submit such stuff, sorry if I am making needless mess.)
That's lovely ! Thank you for sharing your work.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

This looks crazy good :shock:
Probably a vampire
KasiaKrysia

Post by KasiaKrysia »

Thank you a lot for those kind words. I'm working on it for quite a while so it's reasuring that you (as people of industry) find it appeling :)

To be clear, I've should mentioned that I'm directing this film and rough animation and cleanup ware made by my wonderful coworkers (at these exact shots).
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

I agree, its a very nice design.
Great acting and i love the look of the clouds.
excellent work.

If you don't mind some critique, i think the shadows on the first character move a bit too erratic.
(its a boring habit of mine to always find some fault with everything... sorry :roll: i do really appreciate the work!)
KasiaKrysia

Post by KasiaKrysia »

Thank you Peter for sharing your thoughts. And no need to be sorry, pointing out the weak points is the most helpful!

Yeah, there is an issue with the shadow. Personaly I am very used to erratic texture in animation and it's to my liking. But it's supposed to target children and adolescents, I guess it maybe be irrirating for those young eyes used to 60fps :D I need to make some test with inerpolating shadows at static elements, to calm down this effect (and to save some work ;) )
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

I don't mind erratic either
and with the hair or cloth i think this effect is o.k.
but in the parts that supposed to have a solid surface, like skin and arms, that shadow movement becomes distracting especially because the lines and animation are so controlled and tight.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's several solutions to this. A possible approach that I use is to have a dedicated animated shadow layer, which acts as a mask for a layer with animated shadow texture. The "animation" in this case is slow x-dissolves. Those are done easily in TVP by just stretching a layer with interpolation on. To avoid easy to spot repetition one can have two or three shadow layers of different lengths on repeat.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5