Clicking right mouse button layer transparency

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Joost

Clicking right mouse button layer transparency

Post by Joost »

Hi,

I'm new to TVP 11 (long time TVPaint 10 user), so I have another question:
When I want to change the transparency of a layer I used to right click the transparancy and type in a number. This doesn't seem to work anymore. Now I can only use the slider, but it's a bit more difficult to find the exact right number. Is there a way to be able to type the number again?

Thanks!
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Re: Clicking right mouse button layer transparency

Post by Joost »

By the way,

I noticed a LOT of functions that are way better in TVP 11 compared to TVP 10.
I love the options at "new layer presets" and the amount of colour labels...
:)
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Joost wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 09:06 Hi,

I'm new to TVP 11 (long time TVPaint 10 user), so I have another question:
When I want to change the transparency of a layer I used to right click the transparancy and type in a number. This doesn't seem to work anymore. Now I can only use the slider, but it's a bit more difficult to find the exact right number. Is there a way to be able to type the number again?

Thanks!
I think I have a script somewhere that restores this feature: you click on a button, a popup appears, you type a value and it sets the transparency of the current layer to the value you typed.
I'll post it as soon as I find it :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thanks!
TVP Pro 11.7.1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Joost wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 09:06 Now I can only use the slider, but it's a bit more difficult to find the exact right number.
One thing you can do to adjust the slider to a precise percentage if you can't get it by moving the slider is to get it close to the percentage you want , then if you use right mouse click you can adjust it in small increments. So for example, if the slider moves to 50% opacity , but you want 53% , right-click a few times with your mouse to adjust it to precisely the opacity percentage you want.
Adjust opacity percentage.png
Adjust opacity percentage.png (27.96 KiB) Viewed 10330 times
But I agree , the pop-up window to type in the opacity percentage was a good feature and I'm not sure why it ever went away. If Thierry can find the script he mentioned and posts it here I will be making use of that script. (but I think it would also be worthwhile to restore that feature to TVPaint) .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thanks for your reaction D.T. Nethery!

I already noticed this. However, when I have to change transparency a lot, this will be a much slower method compared to the TVP 10 method where you just can click, type 30, enter. Done.

Hopefully the script from Thierry will help me out :)
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Okay, I've found the script.
I will need to update it a bit, because it changes the transparency on all layers of the current color group and not on the current layer only
I'll change it so it can propose both options :)

Should be done by Monday or Tuesday.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

i can't really script.. but this sort of works

I totally butchered Svens work for it.
set layer opacity.tvpx
(127.5 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Joost

Post by Joost »

This works!

Thanks Peter!

The one thing that wonders me however why since TVP 11 there is always one percent transparency difference between what you type and what the layer shows... :D
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Joost wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 11:08 This works!

Thanks Peter!

The one thing that wonders me however why since TVP 11 there is always one percent transparency difference between what you type and what the layer shows... :D
Cool,

yeah noticed that too, might be a rounding error?

Another bug in layer opacity control:
When right clicking next to the slider, you always have to click twice or three times for the value to increase 1. This is already unintuitive and unwanted initself

But then when decreasing the value (rightclicking left of the slider) it works but when increasing (rightclicking to the right of the slider) it stops working after some clicks!?

i think the idea to "increase cursor sensitivity 10x while holding shift" would also be very welcome here.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

A bit late to the party, but here's the script I talked about: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14244 :)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 15:10 A bit late to the party, but here's the script I talked about: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14244 :)
Thank you for the script. (and also thanks to Peter for the modified Svengali script above).

But I will rename the script from "Set Transparency" to "Set Layer Opacity".

Maybe this is my OCD kicking in , but it makes me notice a little naming inconsistency in TVPaint. If you hover your mouse over the slider which adjusts the percentage of the layer's opacity , the Tool Tip tells you that this slider is to modify the layer's "density". At other times in the User Manual we find this referred to as "opacity". I think for consistency it should be one of those terms (opacity ... or transparency ... or density) but not all three terms used at various times to refer to the same thing. I would not favor density ... I think most people who work with digital art applications would usually refer to the "opacity" of a layer rather than the "density" of a layer. I suppose density and opacity can be considered equivalent , so it's not likely to confuse anyone , but a quick check of other drawing and animation apps I have on my computer -- Photoshop, Sketchbook, ArtRage , Harmony , After Effects, Adobe Animate -- shows that all of those other apps using the term Opacity with reference to layers. So I would vote for using the term Opacity rather than Density (or Transparency).

"Transparency" applied to a layer is almost always with reference to locking/preserving the transparent pixels on the layer.
Opacity or Transparency or Density.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1