Help me understand selecting multiple layers

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Joost

Help me understand selecting multiple layers

Post by Joost »

Hi there,

In TVP 11.5.1 I don't really understand how to select multiple layers using the SHIFT key on my keyboard.

In tvpaint 10 I used to click in the layer thumbnail then hold shift, then select a different layer: All layers in-between the two selected layers where selected.

But in TVP 11.5.1 it's not clear when all layers in-between are selected and when just the two layers that I clicked on are selected. It feels random to me.
Sometimes TVPaint selects only the two selected layers and sometimes all layers in-between. Even when I think I do exactly the same, the behaviour seems to be always different.

Is there anybody who can explain what I'm missing?

Thanks!
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
D.T. Nethery

Re: Help me understand selecting multiple layers

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Selecting multiple layers holding down the Shift key works the same in TVPaint 11. Most of the time I have no problem with selecting multiple layers in the usual way you described: "click in the layer thumbnail then hold shift, then select a different layer: All layers in-between the two selected layers where selected." but I do notice that occasionally there will be a slight delay before all the layers show as selected with the highlighting... sometimes the layers don't show as selected until I move the cursor up or down slightly , then the highlighting shows they are selected. This behavior is difficult to describe or predict. In the attached screen capture , you can see me selecting multiple layers by holding down Shift ... you can see it happens a few times there is a slight lag before all the layers have the highlighting which shows they are selected . I have no idea why it does this from time to time. It doesn't always happen. Seems random. It hasn't bothered me enough to report it as a bug , but I suppose it is a bug (?). As I say, usually when it happens if I just move my cursor up or down a bit the highlighting kicks in , so I can see all the layers selected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnZs569Qb0

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Oh, now I see. Yes it's a delay indeed!

Maybe I was too impatient and just tried selecting them again when I should have waited.
Thanks for pointing that out!

The delay however is still a bit strange...
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Well, after some more experience. Selecting layers is still a bit more difficult than it used to be.

It's not just a delay. Sometimes TVPaint simply doesn't select the layers I want. I have to select the layers multiple times to get the right selection.

And another thing that is really strange behaviour to me:
When I did manage to select the layers, and I zoom out, the selected layers are automatically deselected. :shock: This must be a bug, right?

Hopefully the TVPaint team can take a look at this one.
Thanks in advance!
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Soom

Post by Soom »

I actually remember this issue was a problem also in some previous versions
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Joost wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 07:46And another thing that is really strange behaviour to me:
When I did manage to select the layers, and I zoom out, the selected layers are automatically deselected. :shock: This must be a bug, right?

Thanks in advance!
I've tried to reproduce that one, but it doesn't seem I have the bug you're describing.
See the attached video of me trying to do it:
selecting-zooming-out.zip
(266.98 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
--TVPaint 11.5.1 (March 15th build)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Soom

Post by Soom »

I have it (on Windows, will check on Mac later)
Here is the recording...
tvp_layer_selection.mov
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 595 times
(there is no sound, so just to clarify - each time I press Shift and select some other layer. Sometimes the layers in between get selected, sometimes not. It's random. Sometimes if i move or zoom the timeline (not the canvas, like you do in your video), they suddenly get selected (I think this is also what Joost meant too)
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thierry wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:54
Joost wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 07:46And another thing that is really strange behaviour to me:

Thanks in advance!
I've tried to reproduce that one, but it doesn't seem I have the bug you're describing.
See the attached video of me trying to do it:selecting-zooming-out.zip

--TVPaint 11.5.1 (March 15th build)
Thanks for your reply Thierry.
I didn't make myself clear enough. I forgot to type: Zoom out "on the timeline" (alt-right mouse button)
So if I have multiple layers selected, and then I want to zoom out on the timeline, the selected layers will be deselected...
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Post by Joost »

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply Thierry.
I didn't make myself clear enough. I forgot to type: Zoom out "on the timeline" (alt-right mouse button)
So if I have multiple layers selected, and then I want to zoom out on the timeline, the selected layers will be deselected...
[/quote]

Apparently, this deselecting "bug" is not showing up in every project I open. But I don't know when and why it's not appearing sometimes.
It definitely shows up when opening a new project.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Joost wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 08:53 Apparently, this deselecting "bug" is not showing up in every project I open. But I don't know when and why it's not appearing sometimes.
It definitely shows up when opening a new project.
It is the same for me: it sometimes happens , but not all the time. I tried to capture the behavior (layers deselected when expanding or compacting the timeline) with a screen capture video , but when I had the screen capture running I could not reproduce the behavior. It doesn't happen so much that it is bothersome (to me) , so I've learned to live with it. I imagine it could be quite annoying to many people , so I hope they can find out what causes the problem and are able to fix it.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1