Some custom brushes disappeared and TVPaint is showing a currupt message

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

Some custom brushes disappeared and TVPaint is showing a currupt message

Post by Soom »

Hi
After installing TVP 11.5.1 and deleting the previous versions, a few custom brushes have stopped working and TVPaint is showing a weird message with no text (see screenshot).
I have checked the .dip file it shows, and I cannot find it in any of my previous Time Machine backups, which probably means that these custom brushes had a different name.
I am not sure if deleting previous TVP versions caused this, because all my config prefs stayed intact in the Library folder and also it only affected a few random brushes — the rest is fine...
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 01.26.06.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 01.26.06.png (91.78 KiB) Viewed 15148 times
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Xavier

Re: Some custom brushes disappeared and TVPaint is showing a currupt message

Post by Xavier »

Not sure here about what to say. First of all, this message box is definitely to improve ! at least put a message.

The custom brushes are saved as dip files in your cache folder. Do you find the file that is mentionned by the message box in your user library (~/Library/tvp*) ?
From a command line, you can run this :

Code: Select all

find ~/Library/tvp* -name yourfile.dip
Alternatively, try exporting the brushes from TVPaint 11.5.0 and then import them into TVPaint 11.5.1.

Weird, anyway.
Soom

Post by Soom »

The .dip files in the error messages did exist in the /Library/tvp animation 11/default/CustomPanel/ folder. However it seemed that they were created just during the last installation of TVPaint, because no other traces of those files were found in my previous backups.

It was only 3 brushes that were modified from other brushes, so I have recreated them quickly. Once I have updated the brushes with new ones (I used Edit Brush > Grab Current tool, so that the brush icon on the custom panel did not change), the .dip files were gone and the brushes work again. So it's all good now. But it's a bit strange that these brushes were "destroyed" by a new TVP installation...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Perhaps this is a similar issue ? --

The HB pencil in Tool Presets v3 shows the icon still present , and the tool works, but every time I click on HB Pencil I get this odd pop-up message,

16f6a479-dafa-4e4d-b10e-75492a5e47db.dip - OK

ToolPresetsv3.png
Click OK and nothing happens ... but the tool still works to draw with. It's a strange thing that it only happens with that one tool in the Tool Presets v3 panel.
It seems to be saying something is missing (?). This started happening on the update to 11.5.1 , not before.

Fortunately, an easy fix. Delete Tool Presets v3 , then restart TVPaint and it regenerates the tool bar and now the HB pencil functions normally on selecting it , without the odd pop-up message appearing. But I thought perhaps this was related in some way to the problem Soom is experiencing, so I am reporting it.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Weird :shock:

In any way, the popup message is not very explicit and such behaviour was clearly unexpected :(
The idea was just to show a message when a file couldn't be imported into TVPaint.

So yesterday I dug into the code to at least put an actual message ; but in the end I believe that we'll get rid of this popup message, once for all. Too many side effects.
Soom

Post by Soom »

Things are worse on Windows - now I have copied my config from Mac to Windows, and NONE of my custom brushes work! all show this funny message with the .dip file. I know I can go back to Mac, export my panels, and import them again into new TVPaint installation, but this is A LOT OF WORK... :'(
Copying config files used to work with previous versions without any problems... Somehow TVPaint 11.5.1 corrupts copied configuration files...

UPDATE: after trying some troubleshooting I noticed, that every time I click a custom brush that doesn't work, a completely new .ini file is created in the CustomPanel folder but there is no .dip file with that name. It seems like TVPaint is giving custom brushes new names and never finds their .dip files
bazookash

Post by bazookash »

i am getting this ###.dip
error too...

When I got it first time, I re- made all of my custom brushes and saved to different names.
It happened again, all of my custom brushes lost their Icon images and it gives error....
this is really frustrating.

can anyone help ?
i am using 11.5.1 -64 bits on windows and haven't updated anything since i made / saved brushes
Attachments
TVPaint_Animation_11.5_Pro_(64bits)_62KjWNEtCL.png
TVPaint_Animation_11.5_Pro_(64bits)_62KjWNEtCL.png (79.67 KiB) Viewed 13771 times
Soom

Post by Soom »

I would suggest to try install the older TVPaint version and see if it works. Of course backup all your config files just in case (~/appData\Roaming\tvp animation 11 pro\)
bazookash

Post by bazookash »

oh okay
thank you Soom
I will try that.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

bazookash wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 21:27 i am getting this ###.dip
error too...

When I got it first time, I re- made all of my custom brushes and saved to different names.
It happened again, all of my custom brushes lost their Icon images and it gives error....
this is really frustrating.

can anyone help ?
i am using 11.5.1 -64 bits on windows and haven't updated Courses g since i made / saved brushes

Sorry, I just noticed your message. Would you mind sharing your config, so that I can try to reproduce this bug ?
Soom

Post by Soom »

As more reports are coming on this problem now also with 11.5.2 update, here is a temporary workaround for those affected:
1. I hope you have a backup of your preferences folder. If no - at least back up the one you have now. (TVPaint preferences folder is in user/Library folder on Mac, or in user/AppData/Roaming folder on Windows).
2. Install the older TVPaint version that worked. Run it. If the custom actions work normally, then skip to step 5.
3. If the problem persists, close TVPaint, delete the preferences folder and copy the backup prefs folder instead (I hope you have it).
4. Run TVPaint. Now it should normally work (it should surely work if you had that older preferences folder backup!)
5. Export all your custom panels as tvpx files.
6. Update TVPaint, run it.
7. Now delete all the corrupt custom panels, and reinstall them again by reinstalling the tvpx files you have created from the older version. It should work.