Never break instance when using transform tool

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Joost

Never break instance when using transform tool

Post by Joost »

Hi there,

In tvpaint10 I had the option to always break an instance whenever I did something with it, UNLESS I used the transform tool. Then all instances/exposures where untouched. I really loved this because I always want to break an instance with every action I do, EXCEPT when I use the transform tool. When using the transform tool I NEVER want to break an instance....

In TVPaint 11 I have to toggle the break instance button every time I use the transform tool.

Is there maybe a way to use the TVPaint10 settings in TVP11? Or would it maybe be possible to make an action that turns the auto break function off every time I select the transform tool, and when I grab another tool, it automatically toggles "on" again?

Any help would be really appreciated! :D
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
D.T. Nethery

Re: Never break instance when using transform tool

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Joost wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 14:29 Or would it maybe be possible to make an action that turns the auto break function off every time I select the transform tool, and when I grab another tool, it automatically toggles "on" again?
I'm not sure how to create that sort of action, but you could assign a keyboard shortcut to Toggle Auto Break Instance, which would be a quicker way to turn it on and off than having to click the button in the layer panel.
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.50.39 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.50.39 AM.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 10019 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thanks for thinking with me. I also thought about this option. However, I always have this problem when toggling when I work really fast: I don't want to look to the layer if it's turned on or off. It slows me down.

It would be so great if I could just make a shortcut that toggles auto break off when hitting cmd-T (transform tool keyboard shortcut).
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Post by Joost »

No one with an idea how I can create such a keyboard shortcut?

Maybe someone from the TVP team?

Thanks in advance!

:D
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

IF you want a button to toggle AutoBreakInstance, make a button with the following Embedded George Script:

Code: Select all

tv_LayerCurrentID
LayerID = result
tv_LayerAutoBreakInstance LayerID TOGGLE
Name the button "AutoBreakInstance toggle" or something and then assign a shortcut key to it

should work...
sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

you could combine Svens autobreak script with the selecting of the transform tool in one action and assign that to a key
so when you press that shortcut you get the transform tool and simultaneously autobreak off

but because its a toggle... the problem is how to switch it back on.

Sven, is there not an absolute command instead of a toggle?
that way you could add that to the tool actions
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Here is a more complex script alternative that does what the "toggle" variable does...

Code: Select all

tv_LayerCurrentID
LayerID = result
tv_LayerAutoBreakInstance LayerID 0
PreviousState = result
IF  CMP(PreviousState,"0")
	tv_LayerAutoBreakInstance LayerID 1
END
But you can see that 0 turns it off and the 1 turns it on... for explicit context control, so yes, it could certainly be added to the transform tool actions. :D

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Joost

Post by Joost »

Peter Wassink wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 17:03 you could combine Svens autobreak script with the selecting of the transform tool in one action and assign that to a key
so when you press that shortcut you get the transform tool and simultaneously autobreak off

but because its a toggle... the problem is how to switch it back on.

Sven, is there not an absolute command instead of a toggle?
that way you could add that to the tool actions
There is also a basic action that can turn off auto break. No scripting needed for that :D
However, I really don't know how to make an action for selecting the transform tool. I searched for it everywhere, but the "grab current tool
" option is not available with the transform tool. Anybody knows how to create this?

Thanks!
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Soom

Post by Soom »

Joost wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 12:54 There is also a basic action that can turn off auto break. No scripting needed for that :D
However, I really don't know how to make an action for selecting the transform tool. I searched for it everywhere, but the "grab current tool
" option is not available with the transform tool. Anybody knows how to create this?

Thanks!
Hmm, seems straightforward to me - there are several options:
1. Create a new Action. Add first command with Sven's George script. Add second command with Set Keystroke > Shape Transform > Position.
Voila - you have an action that will turn off the autobreaking and choose the transform too. Assign a shortcut to it if you want.
action_for_transform_no_autobreak.png
action_for_transform_no_autobreak.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 9866 times
2. I personally use Wacom express keys a lot. I have one dedicated for the Transform tool. You can combine any chain of shortcuts on one express key, so that if you press it it would both execute Sven's Autobreak Off script and select the Transform tool.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Joost

Post by Joost »

Soom wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:09
Joost wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 12:54 There is also a basic action that can turn off auto break. No scripting needed for that :D

Thanks!
Hmm, seems straightforward to me - there are several options:
1. Create a new Action. Add first command with Sven's George script. Add second command with Set Keystroke > Shape Transform > Position.
Voila - you have an action that will turn off the autobreaking and choose the transform too. Assign a shortcut to it if you want.
action_for_transform_no_autobreak.png

2. I personally use Wacom express keys a lot. I have one dedicated for the Transform tool. You can combine any chain of shortcuts on one express key, so that if you press it it would both execute Sven's Autobreak Off script and select the Transform tool.

Thanks a lot! This really helps.

In my opinion it's very hard to find some of the "basic" actions since they all have different names in different menu's. Why is the name of the "transform tool" when creating an action changed into "shape transform: position"?
It would be a lot easier if tools have the same name in every menu, don't you think?
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Soom

Post by Soom »

Joost wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 08:32 Thanks a lot! This really helps.

In my opinion it's very hard to find some of the "basic" actions since they all have different names in different menu's. Why is the name of the "transform tool" when creating an action changed into "shape transform: position"?
It would be a lot easier if tools have the same name in every menu, don't you think?
You are Welcome
Yes - I know - some names are a bit awkwardly mismatched. It's an old issue - there are some threads about this on the forums. If you find a mismatch you should report it on the Forum - eventually they get fixed. same trouble is with color schemes - none of the names there mean anything - it's a guess trial and error method :)
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas