URGENT! BAD File, TVP file is damaged Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
nika.skrotskaya

URGENT! BAD File, TVP file is damaged

Post by nika.skrotskaya »

Hello!
I had a TV Paint file with 15 different animated projects for my animation class. Yesterday when I tried to run the program and open the file it started with a message: Bad File. Apparently, the file was corrupted and 12 out of my 15 animation projects were gone. I really need to recover these files because it took me many hours of work and the end of semester is soon. If somebody could please take a look at my file and help me!
Here is the link to my file in google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ndihr8 ... sp=sharing
Thank you!
D.T. Nethery

Re: URGENT! BAD File, TVP file is damaged

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Which version of TVPaint was used ? (Help Menu > About TVPaint Animation will show the version. ) Which computer OS - Windows or Mac ?

See this topic: Read First Before Posting a Question

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
nika.skrotskaya

Version is TVP Animation 11 Pro GRP (11.0.9-64 bits) en Aug 14 2019
Computer is Windows 10 Home
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (6.90 GB usable)
System Type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

nika.skrotskaya wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 20:17 Version is TVP Animation 11 Pro GRP (11.0.9-64 bits) en Aug 14 2019
Computer is Windows 10 Home
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (6.90 GB usable)
System Type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
I downloaded your file and tried to open. It has four projects Bouncing Ball, Bouncing Ball (ink) , Bouncing Ball (ink) , and Box and Antennae.
I couldn't see anything else to recover. File size is 94.1 MB. Was it much larger before ?
Hopefully someone at TVPaint Support can recover something else from your file.

Here's a thought -- did you have the Auto-Save turned on in Preference to save multiple back-ups ? You might be able to go back to an earlier version of the file saved on your hard drive to recover at least some of your previous work in one of these saved versions.
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 6.10.11 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 6.10.11 PM.jpg (19.16 KiB) Viewed 7632 times

If you have any saved versions they will have the main file name Veronika_Skrotskaya_all projects.tvpp , but then a string of numbers after the .tvpp extension , like this: Veronika_Skrotskaya_all projects.tvpp.20210422.180653 Just remove the string of numbers after .tvpp and the backed-up file should open in TVPaint. (after removing the string of numbers , you should change the file name to something like Veronika_Skrotskaya_all projects_v2.tvpp if you have the original Veronika_Skrotskaya_all projects.tvpp still sitting in the same file directory , so it doesn't get over-written.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Wow David thank you so much for helping nika while we were all sleeping on our part of the globe :o

Nika, if the amount of data recovered by David is not enough, we can try to open it on our side but it is unlikely that we will get more data.
Probably a vampire
nika.skrotskaya

Thank you so much for trying to help!
There were around 15-16 projects in the file that I shared but after the "bad file" issue appeared, only 4 animations that David mentioned got saved. So, I was hoping to recover the rest of the projects. Sadly, I didn't do I back up. Since I'm new to this program I was not aware of such little smart tricks. I will definitely be more careful next time and create several copies as I work on animations.
Thank you again!