Random number files backing up in project folder?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
suejeethesushi

Random number files backing up in project folder?

Post by suejeethesushi »

Hiya! I recently built a new computer and I've been noticing that TV Paint will save out these additional number files to my project folder?

For instance, my project folder will look like this:
sheriff_peter_test_v001.tvpp
sheriff_peter_test_v001.tvpp.20210513.013403
sheriff_peter_test_v001.tvpp.20210513.075213

I also attached a screenshot for your reference. It doesn't seem like a regular project auto save, and it looks like I can delete them without having it affect my original files. Not a super urgent issue but just curious what setting is causing it, etc. Curious if anyone knows what's going on?

In case this helps, I have TVP 11 Pro, 64 bits and I'm working on a PC.

Thanks! :)
Attachments
tvp_question.png
D.T. Nethery

Re: Random number files backing up in project folder?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

suejeethesushi wrote: 19 May 2021, 17:13 Hiya! I recently built a new computer and I've been noticing that TV Paint will save out these additional number files to my project folder?

I also attached a screenshot for your reference. It doesn't seem like a regular project auto save, and it looks like I can delete them without having it affect my original files. Not a super urgent issue but just curious what setting is causing it, etc. Curious if anyone knows what's going on?

Yes, you can delete the older versions (the files that have the string of numbers after the .tvpp extension , like: sheriff_peter_test_v001.tvpp.20210513.013403 ) without affecting your current version of the file.

The reason you get those back-up versions is because in Preferences you have AutoSave and/or Multi Backup options activated.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 11.25.28 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 11.25.28 AM.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 14767 times

If you change the Multi Backup number to 0 , you won't get the back-up versions. However, keep in mind that it can be valuable to have backed-up versions if something happens to your current file (file corruption , or if you've decided at some point that you want to revert back to a state before you made some "destructive" applications to layers from the FX stack , but you don't have enough Undos in the History to get the file back to where you were before ). By removing the string of numbers after the .tvpp extension it makes the file active again (when you remove the string of numbers after .tvpp also change the file name to something like sheriff_peter_test_v001a.tvpp to differentiate it from your other file named sheriff_peter_test_v001.tvpp or whatever the case may be.)

See here in the user manual - https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... ences-save

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

suejeethesushi wrote: 19 May 2021, 17:13 Curious if anyone knows what's going on?
Not random files, they're backups of your super-important project.

TVPaint is good but still not perfect, and sometimes it can fail. Hardware failures also, with your hard disk or RAM. In such cases, having a backup can be helpful to recover your work.
suejeethesushi

Post by suejeethesushi »

Ah totally! Makes sense, I figured they were text files since TVP won't open them if I clicked on it.

Thanks so much!
suejeethesushi

Post by suejeethesushi »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 19 May 2021, 17:31
suejeethesushi wrote: 19 May 2021, 17:13 Hiya! I recently built a new computer and I've been noticing that TV Paint will save out these additional number files to my project folder?

Yes, you can delete the older versions (the files that have the string of numbers after the .tvpp extension , like: sheriff_peter_test_v001.tvpp.20210513.013403 ) without affecting your current version of the file.

The reason you get those back-up versions is because in Preferences you have AutoSave and/or Multi Backup options activated.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 11.25.28 AM.jpg

If you change the Multi Backup number to 0 , you won't get the back-up versions. However, keep in mind that it can be valuable to have backed-up versions if something happens to your current file (file corruption , or if you've decided at some point that you want to revert back to a state before you made some "destructive" applications to layers from the FX stack , but you don't have enough Undos in the History to get the file back to where you were before ). By removing the string of numbers after the .tvpp extension it makes the file active again (when you remove the string of numbers after .tvpp also change the file name to something like sheriff_peter_test_v001a.tvpp to differentiate it from your other file named sheriff_peter_test_v001.tvpp or whatever the case may be.)

See here in the user manual - https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... ences-save
Hey David!! Nice to see you on here, I remember helping you out with AJ Hogg a while back :)
But that makes total sense, I had my backup settings set to 2! Good to know that you can still remove the string and use the file, maybe I should dump them in some other spot just in case.

Thanks for the help! Hope all is well :)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

suejeethesushi wrote: 20 May 2021, 15:54 Hey David!! Nice to see you on here, I remember helping you out with AJ Hogg a while back :)
But that makes total sense, I had my backup settings set to 2! Good to know that you can still remove the string and use the file, maybe I should dump them in some other spot just in case.

Thanks for the help! Hope all is well :)
Suejee ! Hi ! I didn't realize it was you when I first responded to your post above . It's good to see you here, too .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

maybe I should dump them in some other spot just in case
That's what "Multi-backup Directory" in the Preferences panel is for.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

If you need to use a backup, just rename the file to *.tvpp :wink: