Mapping different Wacom pens to different TVPaint brushes Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
johnfromncl

Mapping different Wacom pens to different TVPaint brushes

Post by johnfromncl »

In the past, with a Cintiq 16" tablet (the newish, non-pro, lower resolution one) and previous versions of TVPaint (all on a Mac), each physical Wacom pen (e.g. a grip pen and a Pro 2 pen) when picked up and applied to the tablet would revert to the TVPaint brush that was last used with that particular brush. A useful feature.

With the latest version of TVPaint and a Cintiq 24" pro, the physical Wacom pens are all are set to whatever TVPaint brush was last selected. I don't know the source of the change for sure, unfortunately.

I have no idea if different physical pens mapping to different brushes is a feature that is now lost to me, or if that is set somewhere in Wacom, or set somewhere in TVPaint. I've not been able to track an answer down via Google searches or the TVPaint online manual.

I have the latest TVPaint version, but I don't have the very latest Wacom driver - I'm always a bit hesitant on updating those - my signature shows up-to-date information.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020). 3.8 Ghz 8-core Intel Core i7, 128GB 2667 MHz DDR4. MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.
TVPaint Animation 11 Pro (11.5.2-64 bits).
Wacom Cintiq pro 24". Driver using 6.3.43-3 (avoiding 6.3.44-1)
John from Newcastle, johnfromncl Updated 2021-09-24
deruji

Re: Mapping different Wacom pens to different TVPaint brushes

Post by deruji »

I reported the same thing on Linux, this came with 11.5.1. That is when they introduced the Tablet options in the General tab in Preferences. I haven't been able to get the old behaviour back either.
New options have been added to the Preferences> General panel, regarding software behaviour when swapping the stylus:

By default, when the Eraser is activated, you switch to the “Erase” mode.
The other option activates the Eraser tool (freehand).
When both options are unchecked, you can have a new brush when “swapping” the pen. This brush can either be used to draw, erase, or be a custom brush.
The traditional 2D animator working with local and international artists.
You can help support my work to make traditional animation, here.
johnfromncl

Re: Mapping different Wacom pens to different TVPaint brushes

Post by johnfromncl »

Thanks deruji - that is really useful. (Those tablet settings are so unintuitive - I would never have guessed.)

I now have both tablet boxes unticked, and each Wacom pen can now be set to a different TVPaint brush. (Note to those who have two pens of the same variety - e.g. two Pro 2 pens - all this still applies - the pens don't have to be different varieties. This, to me, seems pretty amazing.)

So, with the lack of ticks described above.
* I have my different brush per different pen.
* On the mac version, reversing the pens creates an eraser that is the same for all pens (not very useful).
* With whatever other settings may be having an impact, right clicking for me when over the drawing area creates an eraser-version of the particular TVPaint brush that that pen is set to (useful that this is possible this way, even if not by reversing the pen).
* Right clicking when outside the drawing area over something that I would expect to bring up a list of options, does so. So another good result.

TVPaint developers (and I am a huge fan of TVPaint): I cannot see from a user-point of view, how unticking two values related to erasing, should result in different TVPaint brushes being able to be mapped to different Wacom pens (but truly glad that this is possible, even if in such an unintuitive way). Really, it feels this function should be a different variable with its own set of values... maybe something for a future release, that will then also enable the eraser end of the pen to be the erase-version of that particular brush. (This paragraph is why I'm not marking this thread as resolved yet.)

Thanks again though deruji: I can now achieve the most important aspects of the old behaviour, so I have a way forward with this.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020). 3.8 Ghz 8-core Intel Core i7, 128GB 2667 MHz DDR4. MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.
TVPaint Animation 11 Pro (11.5.2-64 bits).
Wacom Cintiq pro 24". Driver using 6.3.43-3 (avoiding 6.3.44-1)
John from Newcastle, johnfromncl Updated 2021-09-24