Weird Tool-Cycling Glitch

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
MatthewPrower

Weird Tool-Cycling Glitch

Post by MatthewPrower »

so apparently when i use the general touchscreen function on tvpaint with a finger instead of a stylus (and after pressing the undo button) the tools i used randomly cycle from one another, from pencil, to pen, to eraser, etc, like this:

any way to fix it?
(this is the demo version btw)
Xavier

Re: Weird Tool-Cycling Glitch

Post by Xavier »

Hi, which OS and which version of TVPaint please ?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Matthew,
Which tablet model are you using? On these, finger presses are generally made for the sole purpose of activating shortucuts previously set in the tablet's driver. You told me via email that you were going to try using a stylus, did you encounter any issues with it?
Probably a vampire
MatthewPrower

Post by MatthewPrower »

Xavier wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 11:37 Hi, which OS and which version of TVPaint please ?
windows 10 home, tvpaint 11.5 (demo)
Dean wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 13:05 Hello Matthew,
Which tablet model are you using? On these, finger presses are generally made for the sole purpose of activating shortucuts previously set in the tablet's driver. You told me via email that you were going to try using a stylus, did you encounter any issues with it?
i did get a stylus, but it wasn't compatible with my inspirion 7790 aio, and again, i was using the pc's built-in touchscreen
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Oh so this is a desktop PC with a tactile screen, we are not familiar with these for use in animation. Have you tried drawing in other software with it or heard of other people doing so?
Probably a vampire
MatthewPrower

Post by MatthewPrower »

oh i've drawn with say, adobe animate and firealpaca, i had no problems using my finger on that

anyways, is there any way to disable the finger press shortcuts or?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

TVPaint doesn't include finger press shortcuts, so disabling these should be done in your tactile screen's driver if you have one.
Probably a vampire
MatthewPrower

Post by MatthewPrower »

aight

in the meantime, might i recommend upgrading tvpaint in the future so it can used on tactile screens without the tool-cycling issue?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

We just conducted some tests on Wacom tablets equipped with screens and finger drawing works without any issue.
After some research about your computer model, I can confirm that unlike the more common tablets models that our users have, it is not dedicated to drawing, which might explain the random behavior when not using a stylus.
But this issue could also be caused by the tactile screen's settings.
Probably a vampire
MatthewPrower

Post by MatthewPrower »

...fascinating

so how do i alter these settings so they can be drawing-dedicated?

and which tactile screen dell computers do you recommend, for that matter?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

I don't think it is possible to turn it into a Cintiq equivalent using a couple settings change.
We don't recommend using desktop computers with tactile screens for animation work, but dedicated drawing tablets instead.
Probably a vampire