Transforming CTG layers

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
it_ross

Transforming CTG layers

Post by it_ross »

Hello,

I'm working on creating a character sheet and I am drawing characters on one layer and coloring them with a CTG layer. Because it's a character sheet there is no animation, just one frame per layer. Occasionally I want to move these colored-in characters to position them better on the sheet, the problem is that the transform tool doesn't seem to work on the CTG layers. Obviously the toolset is much more limited for the CTG layers, but they do have a panning tool. I cannot use the panning tool on more than one layer at a time though. I've tried selecting all the layers I want to move, going into the transform tool, making a transformation, and then applying it to all selected layers, but this always causes TVPaint to crash.

Is there a way that I can simply move the entirety of the contents of multiple layers around the canvas, including CTGs? I would even be okay with just panning, instead of the full control of the transform tool, but, as I mentioned, panning doesn't seem to work on more than one layer at a time.

My software setup: TVPaint 11.5 Pro running on macOS Big Sur 11.6.2

Thank you!
Peter Wassink

Re: Transforming CTG layers

Post by Peter Wassink »

you could use the enter key to repeat the pan on the other layers.
to do this:
-pan the first layer to the correct position in one move.
-go to the next layer and press enter.
-repeat.

another way, a more out of the box method which pays off if you have tons of layers.
use the crop tool to reposition your character:
-select crop tool
-reset tool
-pan crop to new position
-apply crop

note, this crop tool method only works for repositioning a single charcter or group of charcters as a whole, as it repositions all layers at once.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM