[Windows 10] TVPaint crashes when navigating toolbar

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
IZUHU

[Windows 10] TVPaint crashes when navigating toolbar

Post by IZUHU »

Hello :)

I'm not sure if this happens on any other operating system, but I can confirm it happens on Windows 10

https://streamable.com/60svmr

Replication Steps:

1) Open TVPaint
2) Click "Windows" in TVPaint's toolbar. From there click anywhere in the drop-down menu in a "rapid erratic" fashion. Sometimes it only takes few clicks, but when done enough the program will crash.

I tried debugging the program in Visual Studio since TVPaint doesn't appear to have its own debug log, and I was able to get the following information, which isn't much:

Here I was debugging the DEMO version because when uninstalling TVPaint, it started giving me license issues which is a pain to fix without having to go through the support team. However, I just want to be clear that I was able to replicate this on the non-demo version of TVPaint as well.

I also got this from the Windows Event Log which gave me more information that can probably help pinpoint the issue:

Faulting application name: TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro (64bits) (DEMO).exe, version: 11.5.3.0, time stamp: 0x61aa041b
Faulting module name: TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro (64bits) (DEMO).exe, version: 11.5.3.0, time stamp: 0x61aa041b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000004fb4e8
Faulting process id: 0x9014
Faulting application start time: 0x01d848d5416ce49f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro (64bits) (DEMO)\TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro (64bits) (DEMO).exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro (64bits) (DEMO)\TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro (64bits) (DEMO).exe
Report Id: debaafe3-f89b-47cc-afb9-1b9de5b18d32
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Things that I tried to fix it, but didn't work:

• Reinstalling TVPaint
• Using a older version of TVPaint
• Using the most recent version of TVPaint
• Trying another computer with nothing on it and a fresh install of Windows 10
• Confirmed it wasn't anything with my hardware
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 524618d00a
• Upgraded to Windows 11
• Deleted TvPaint files under %APPDATA%

Any ideas ? I'm pretty positive its a bug. I lost some work due to this in the past when clicking FX Stack. I REALLY want to use the program, but its really hard to trust it when it can just crash like this...

Other "potentially" helpful information:

I don't think my specs are bad either...The other computer I tried had way weaker specs
Last edited by IZUHU on 06 Apr 2022, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: [Windows 10] TVPaint crashes when navigating toolbar

Post by Thierry »

Hello Andrew,

As Dean told you via email, we haven't managed to reproduce your problem yet.
We tried on several computers, with both demo and release versions, without avail.
Thank you for your video, we can now clearly see it in action.

We'd need more information on your system: is your W10 up-to-date?
• Confirmed it wasn't anything with my hardware
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 524618d00a
That may not be a hardware issue, but something due to your Windows installation itself, as said by the Microsoft Agent.
The fact that it happens on a fresh W10 install is concerning.

How are you installing W10? Via a USB Key?

--------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to talk about something else:
I tried debugging the program in Visual Studio
This is something you should absolutely not do.
Not only this is a violation of our intellectual property, this can make your license unusable due to our software protection system detecting a third party utility sniffing the software.
This is probably why another member of our team had to help you with your license issue yesterday.

Please refrain from doing that in the future.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
IZUHU

Post by IZUHU »

We'd need more information on your system: is your W10 up-to-date?
Windows 10 is as up to date as it can be. I even installed all the new cumulative updates and Windows can't even find anymore. Below is a new image:

This is probably why another member of our team had to help you with your license issue yesterday.
Not exactly, I actually started having license issues when I uninstalled and reinstalled different versions of the program. The debugging had nothing to do with it, but as requested I'll refrain from doing so.
How are you installing W10? Via a USB Key?
Via USB legit straight from the Microsoft website, but I highly doubt it would be much of a difference with what medium I use.
IZUHU

Post by IZUHU »

I've upgraded to Windows 11 and was able to replicate it there as well

Xavier

Post by Xavier »

please go to %APPDATA%, backup and remove all the tvp* folders you can see, then try again
IZUHU

Post by IZUHU »

Xavier wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 10:38 please go to %APPDATA%, backup and remove all the tvp* folders you can see, then try again
I tried that as well...I meant to put that in the list of things I tried. Is there a way I can teamview one of the dev's machines just to show that I can replicate the issue ? If the latency in teamviewer isn't too bad I believe I'll be able to

Also confirmed with a demo version of TVPaint 10

EDIT: Just to clarify I've ONLY been able to replicate this in the dropdown menu labeled "Windows" in the program's file menu toolbar. I've been completely unable to do it in any other drop down menu
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

IZUHU wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 20:46The debugging had nothing to do with it
Oh I can assure you that there's a very high chance that it did.
IZUHU wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 12:07Is there a way I can teamview one of the dev's machines just to show that I can replicate the issue ? If the latency in teamviewer isn't too bad I believe I'll be able to
No, we will not give access to any of the staff's machines.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so, I managed to reproduce what you are describing, on W10, w11, and we also managed to reproduce it on macOS as well.
And, err... I have to say I'm a bit confused.

The only way we could do it was to frantically click with the mouse while moving the mouse very very fast, hovering the sub-menus. And by "frantically" I mean clicking like 20-25 times in the span of 2 seconds.
We weren't able to reproduce it using a stylus, because these don't allow you to click fast enough without damaging a tablet.

And while writing this I noticed that this is exactly what you are describing in your original post:
From there click anywhere in the drop-down menu in a "rapid erratic" fashion. Sometimes it only takes few clicks, but when done enough the program will crash.
So, the question I am asking is: why are you doing this?
There is no need to click 20 times on a menu item in 2 seconds in a normal workflow.
You don't even need to click at all: the sub-menu opens by itself when you hover the mouse/stylus on it.

I'll add the issue to our bug-tacker, but I don't think it will have a very high priority.

I would also like to add that this is not restricted to TVPaint: we managed to crash Photoshop doing the same thing.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
IZUHU

Post by IZUHU »

Oh I can assure you that there's a very high chance that it did.
I totally believe you, but I was getting the license issues before I started debugging the program which is what I'm saying.
Okay, so, I managed to reproduce what you are describing, on W10, w11, and we also managed to reproduce it on macOS as well.
And, err... I have to say I'm a bit confused.

The only way we could do it was to frantically click with the mouse while moving the mouse very very fast, hovering the sub-menus. And by "frantically" I mean clicking like 20-25 times in the span of 2 seconds.
We weren't able to reproduce it using a stylus, because these don't allow you to click fast enough without damaging a tablet.
See the thing is...when it happened the first time for me all it took was a one click and a misclick trying to get to FXStack with my mouse, which is how I lost my work the first time. In fact I didn't think much of it when it happened and thought maybe "I" was the one who accidentally closed the program. I definitely wasn't frantically clicking around the menu like a maniac when it first happened, trust me. The only reason I had you guys frantically click around in that menu is because I knew it was the only way I could "consistently" replicate the issue.

The second time it happened to me I knew for a fact I didn't accidentally exit out the program with a shortcut or something. THAT'S when I started frantically clicking around the menu to see if I was able to replicate the issue.

I'm ABSOLUTELY glad you guys were able to replicate it. I was starting to go crazy thinking I was the only one who was able to reproduce it.
I would also like to add that this is not restricted to TVPaint: we managed to crash Photoshop doing the same thing.
I'm sure its possible to crash A LOT of programs like that, but the fact that it didn't take many clicks when it happened the first time is what makes the crash scary :(

Thank you so much for putting in the effort in trying to help me out with this, I REALLY appreciate it :oops: