11.5.3 Export ProRes .mov results in no video.

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
corysfo

11.5.3 Export ProRes .mov results in no video.

Post by corysfo »

For our users running macOS 12.2.1 on M1 Pro MacBook Pro (14"), a .mov exported from any computer using TVPaint 11.5.3 with ProRes video results in a .mov file that has no video (just black), only audio. Changing the encoder to MPEG-4 works, but we need ProRes to work.
Matthieu
Site Admin

Re: 11.5.3 Export ProRes .mov results in no video.

Post by Matthieu »

Hello,

I have just tested this on the same OS (macOS 12.2.1) and can't replicate your issue.

Are you sure you had the "Background" option checked in the export panel:

Attachments
background-check.png
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Keep in mind , that if exporting black line art layer as ProRes .mov in RGBA (transparent) mode with Background deselected , the black lines will be viewed in a video player as black on black (hence invisible , even through the lines are actually there) . You won't see the exported line animation until you have composited it over a non-black color background. It's different than exporting black lines to RGBA (transparent) PNG or TGA where you will be able to see the black line art.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 10.59.47 AM.jpg
(click image to view at full size)

This is what you see if you open the .mov in Quicktime Player (black lines on a black background) -
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.02.48 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.02.48 AM.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
The line art is there , but you can't see it if you open the .mov in Quicktime player or VLC player.

However, if you import that .mov file into After Effects you can see the black line art if your background in AE is set to something other than black.
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.05.58 AM.jpg

The same images exported from TVPaint as PNG or TGA with transparency (RGBA mode) can be seen when you open the image sequence in Preview or other image viewer.

Exported from TVPaint as PNG or TGA with transparency -
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.09.08 AM.jpg

On the PNG or TGA images the black line art will show up when opened in Preview:
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.11.16 AM.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
corysfo

Post by corysfo »

Matthieu wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 16:36 Hello,

I have just tested this on the same OS (macOS 12.2.1) and can't replicate your issue.

Did you run it on an M1 Pro laptop? As i mentioned, this only replicates on an M1 Pro.

Keep in mind, doing this on an Intel Mac with the exact same settings works fine. It's ONLY with an M1 Pro that this doesn't work...
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

corysfo wrote: 26 May 2022, 21:55
Matthieu wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 16:36 Hello,

Did you run it on an M1 Pro laptop? As i mentioned, this only replicates on an M1 Pro.

Keep in mind, doing this on an Intel Mac with the exact same settings works fine. It's ONLY with an M1 Pro that this doesn't work...

I see. Well, my previous long response was irrelevant to your situation then. I did not understand from your previous message that this only happens when using an M1 Mac. I am interested to read about whether TVPaint Support can replicate the issue on a M1 Mac. I'm still on an old Intel Macbook (will need to purchase a new Mac computer soon) so I wasn't aware that this was an issue on the M1 Macs. It's good to at least be aware that this is an issue. (maybe this is one more thing that pushes me to get a Windows PC after all these years as a Mac user ... it doesn't seem worth the extra cost anymore to use a Mac) I think it must have something to do with MacOS on M1 Macs not playing nice with FFMpeg's version of ProRes codec. Does the issue only occur when exporting with FFMpeg ProRes codec from TVPaint or does it occur in other applications that use FFMpeg codecs ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

I did not understand that you were singling out M1 Mac users in your message either. We will do further testing on a M1 Mac and will report back.
Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

We ran some tests on our M1 Macs and didn't encounter any issue.

Can you share a screenshot of your export settings with us or even better, a video of your export process?