JSON import leads to shortened compositions in AE Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Nina_Galopp

JSON import leads to shortened compositions in AE

Post by Nina_Galopp »

Hello!
I have problems with JSON export from TVPaint to After Effects. Strangely, once I import (with the JSON script) the files into After Effects, the compositions become half the length they were in TVPaint. Then when I manually extend them in After Effects, the missing layers appear, but the keyframes are partially wrong and the wrong layers are visible. I am working with 12fps and the following specs:
OS: Windows 10, 64bit, 32 Gbit RAM, Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU.
Software: TV Paint 11.5.1, Standard Edition

I have worked with JSON export before and it has always worked so far. Could it be due to the frame rate? Or has anyone had this problem before as well?

Best regards
Nina
D.T. Nethery

Re: JSON import leads to shortened compositions in AE

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I've never tried it with a project set at 12 FPS. Maybe do a quick test export/import of a project set at 24 FPS and see if you encounter the same problem.

I don't know about on Windows, but with AE running on Mac I have found that it is absolutely essential run the JSON Import Script in the Default or Standard AE workspace. After the import is completed you may switch to any workspace in AE that you prefer . I've read a few posts where it says it is best to use the Standard AE workspace when running on Windows.

I'm not sure if that would help solve your issue , but it's worth a try.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

Hello,

In addition to what David Nethery said above (try importing the script using AE's default workspace), I also encourage you to download the latest TVPaint version from your user account to get the last version of the JSON Import Script (a mistake was corrected since the 11.5.1 version one).

Please let me know how it goes.
Nina_Galopp

Post by Nina_Galopp »

Dear both

Thanks for the quick feedback and advice!
It seems that it was indeed due to the old TVPaint version, I did not realize that I was working on an old version. I have now installed version 11.5.3 and now it works!
The workspace has no influence in this case, but thanks anyway for pointing it out.

Thank you so much!