Jagged lines in new dematerialized version– no more wintab/subpixel?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
BellaLemieux

Jagged lines in new dematerialized version– no more wintab/subpixel?

Post by BellaLemieux »

Hi! I just updated to the dematerialized version of TVPaint, and I've noticed my lines are jagged again. I used to be able to fix this by selecting preferences and checking off the wintab/subpixel option, however it is no longer there. I tried the Boost Line Smoothness option but I hate drawing like this because the line lags behind my pen. Is there any other way to solve this? I'm on macOS Big Sur just for reference. Thank you!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 2.36.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 2.36.02 PM.png (47.03 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
D.T. Nethery

Re: Jagged lines in new dematerialized version– no more wintab/subpixel?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

BellaLemieux wrote: 25 May 2022, 21:09 Hi! I just updated to the dematerialized version of TVPaint, and I've noticed my lines are jagged again.

I used to be able to fix this by selecting preferences and checking off the wintab/subpixel option, however it is no longer there. I tried the Boost Line Smoothness option but I hate drawing like this because the line lags behind my pen. Is there any other way to solve this?

I'm on macOS Big Sur just for reference. Thank you!

Did you just switch from Windows to MacOS ? Because there was never an option for checking a Wintab/subpixel option in the Mac version. Wintab is a Windows thing.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
BellaLemieux

Post by BellaLemieux »

OH you're right I'm so sorry. I did just switch from a windows to a mac computer, I didn't even think about that. Is there any way to fix this though? It bugs me a lot. :/
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

BellaLemieux wrote: 25 May 2022, 21:27 OH you're right I'm so sorry. I did just switch from a windows to a mac computer, I didn't even think about that.
Is there any way to fix this though? It bugs me a lot. :/
Well I hope someone from TVPaint Support will answer you soon about how you can fix this issue.

In the past when I have read about people having problems with brush lagging and jagged lines one solution mentioned is to set TVPaint to Open in Low Resolution.
Right-click on the TVPaint application in your Applications folder , select Get Info. In the Get Info window put a checkmark in the box next to Open in Low Resolution.
I don't know if this will solve your problem , but it is worth a try until someone from TVPaint Support will answer your question.
TVPaint Open in Low Resolution mode.jpg
TVPaint Open in Low Resolution mode.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

Hello,

You can indeed try what David recommended above first.

I would need to know which graphics tablet model you are using (is it a screen-based one)?