TVP 9.0 -- a curious non-sighting

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I am curious about the lack of curiosity.

No one is asking anyone what is new in Nine, although Nine has obviously been demoed at Annecy just last week and witnessed by people who are not tongue tied by non-disclosure contracts. No one who has seen Nine in Annecy is offering any information and there seems to be no one on these pages giddy with anticipation. The usual excitement surrounding the imminent release of a whole number version is all but missing from these threads. The curious silence screams, to use a tired journalistic phrase.

But I do have a question about the release of TVP 9.0; why is no one even curious about when it's going to be released and if it's going to cost money, and if so, how much and if that much, will we, recent purchases of TVP, be getting a grandfathered break?

Not that I need to know any of this, but why is it that there is so much silence surrounding an event, which in other times and places used to have the atmosphere of a carnival?

Something is missing and I can't place my finger on it... not that I need an answer or anything... just curious.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
lemec

Re: TVP 9.0 -- a curious non-sighting

Post by lemec »

Demoing is so much easier than having to document everything... You can just show people what's new. Goodness. It took all of yesterday just to write up PPalette's manual so I can totally understand if the TVPaint guys need time to write up proper press material.

It's gonna take me a little bit of time to record a demo of TVPaint 9's new features too (I'm not being paid!), and I have yet another manual for one of my other plugins to write (I'm not being paid!). I guess most of the other beta testers are pretty used to working with TVPaint 9 as well, but we can speak of what's new - you just have to ask them! Ugh, I still have to clean my room!
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

lemec wrote:I guess most of the other beta testers are pretty used to working with TVPaint 9 as well, but we can speak of what's new - you just have to ask them!
So Peter, Raymond, Mark what is new ???

lemec wrote:Ugh, I still have to clean my room!
Good luck ! ;-)

Post by Manuel »

I'm waiting for big announcements too.
We know that the Annecy festival is closed now.
I hope everyone is back home safely :), it seems so.
I guess that the TVP crew is polishing the software, boxes and manual, guided by the comments they get during the demo, at the festival. Maybe some ultimates fixes, fine tuning and setting before final release ?

I'm waiting also for news and TVP pictures from the festival, and the people they met.
I love to read people impressions about TVPAnimation and successfull projects made with it.
Manuel
lemec

Post by lemec »

Klaus Hoefs wrote:
lemec wrote:I guess most of the other beta testers are pretty used to working with TVPaint 9 as well, but we can speak of what's new - you just have to ask them!
So Peter, Raymond, Mark what is new ???
I don't know where to begin so just gonna jump right in. Don't expect a comprehensively structured report...

TIMELINE CHANGES:
  • It can be docked to the bottom or right hand side, now.
  • If it's docked, it will automatically hide when your mouse moves away from it.
  • You can lock the auto-hide so it stays open.
  • There's a little section at the top for Timeline Notes. You can scribble your dialogue in there and make all form of freeform animation notes.
  • Sound Handling has been completely overhauled. You can load multiple WAV files and slide them around to change their offsets, individually mute each sound and adjust their fading envelopes. Double-click their waveforms to add annotations.
  • There's a new Tab for browsing projects (or was that already in 8.5? I cannot remember what 8.5 was like anymore)
ROOMS:

Four little numbered buttons sit on the bottom right of the window.
Click them to activate a "Room".
Each "Room" is basically a separate UI config with a different palette/window layout, GUI colours and hotkeys.
You can set up your Rooms so that you have one Room for sketching & animation, another Room dedicated to inking & colouring, one for FX, etc...

OTHER STUFF:
Palettes can now be docked in auto-hiding trays on the left and right.
Custom Palettes can be given separate named sections which can be zipped and unzipped.
You can set TVPaint's startup options to start from a template, or use the previous project settings, or load the last file you worked on, or show the classic startup window.
Klaus Hoefs wrote:
lemec wrote:Ugh, I still have to clean my room!
Good luck ! ;-)
It's not so bad anymore now that those annoying tax forms are properly filed. I also want to hang up those framed prints I bought in Annecy so I feel motivated to keep cleaning. One more push!
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
Paul Fierlinger

Anything new with automatic repeat of colored-in instances?
Paul
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Thank you very much Mark,

...anything with improved realtime preview ?

I'm glad you brought this up Klaus. It seems to me that the playback has deteriorated again, or is that just my imagination and 8.6.1 never fixed it completely?
Paul
hisko

Post by hisko »

-Blending modes for layers (multiply etc.)
-Paste in place (where a brush was cut)
-Anti-aliasing for brushes etc.
and too much to name.

I believe Patrice has been sick for three weeks, so that was delaying things a bit is what I heard.
Keep Shooting

Post by Keep Shooting »

Seen Fabrices presentation, looks good and easier and even nicer to use.
But what is of even more interest for me: is anyone of you ß-testers using TVP 9 on IntelMac OSX 10.5 or 10.4?
How is performance on that?
For Eric M. is still helping me to find the cause on instable slow and crashing-behaviour of 8.5 to 8.6.1 on the Intels we work on here while making a mixed media animation- really grateful for the help of the team!
Conny

(ps: Hisko, Eshter P. Dijkstra says hello to you)
hisko

Post by hisko »

Keep Shooting wrote: (ps: Hisko, Eshter P. Dijkstra says hello to you)
Thanks! Please say hello to her.
I never knew about the P in her name, interesting.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:TVP 9.0 -- a curious non-sighting
No one who has seen Nine in Annecy is offering any information and there seems to be no one on these pages giddy with anticipation. The usual excitement surrounding the imminent release of a whole number version is all but missing from these threads. ...
i think its a combination of factors causing this absence of buzz.
most of the active people here are either betatesters or fresh tvp-owners.
for the betatesters version 9 is not new and for most the new tvp owners on the forum version 8 is still very new (after waiting for two years!)
neither group is therefore inclined to get giddy.

personally, with each new version, i somehow tend to forget what options where missing in previous versions.
The most substantial are:
-multiple soundtracks
-much improved interface: docking and rooms
-Blendmodes!
-Timeline notes
-Project recorder, a powerful tool, everything you do in the project window it records.

then there are lots a small improvements, tools, tricks to make life easier and also some funstuff
like for example:
-flip your project, this sounds simple and it actually is... it just flips the display very fast, this means all layers are flipped together!very useful substitute for the old mirror trick.
-lock the position of a layer without locking the layer itself.
-loop any number of previous frames within an instance in that layer.
- loads of scripting improvements
-animate with CTRL, this will change frames during drawing (is actually an old amiga function)
-animatable motionblur
-hide layers completely, based on their color coding ( to improve overview in the layer panel )
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

OK, Peter, so you got me giddy... when, where do we download it? Is it a free upgrade?
Paul
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

for the betatesters version 9 is not new and for most the new tvp owners on the forum version 8 is still very new (after waiting for two years!)
neither group is therefore inclined to get giddy.
I agree Peter, two years is a looonngg time.
Paul Fierlinger wrote:OK, Peter, so you got me giddy... when, where do we download it? Is it a free upgrade?
More details will be officially given very soon, and also the new demo versions for download :wink:
It's a matter of days now.
Fabrice Debarge
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Tantalus wrote:The most substantial are:
-multiple soundtracks
-much improved interface: docking and rooms
-Blendmodes!
-Timeline notes
-Project recorder, a powerful tool, everything you do in the project window it records.
Thank you, Peter, Mark and hisko for giving us these informations.

At first sight it sounds like an impressive update (although I am missing really the issue with the realtime preview - ähem can't you...).
The multiple soundtracks (with basic editing ?), the rooms (like Vegas' saved workspaces ?) and the project recorder (to be used like a macro-recorder in 3Dapp ?) are really good news.
Anyway if talking about saved startup settings, so are the the export settings now saved ?