Mirage owner status?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Julian wigley

Mirage owner status?

Post by Julian wigley »

I went to check on the upgrade path for my paid copy of a well worked and trusted copy of Mirage 1.5, without any luck. What's the call?
The upgrade path offered for ...My ancient copy of Video Works, bless it, in retrospect for the owners ( the software developers), looks good... and worked for them as well as the user base.

There are lessons to be found in history.

Regards,
Jules.
Edit: For clarity
Last edited by Julian wigley on 18 Jul 2008, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Klaus Hoefs

Re: Mirage owner status?

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Far as I know, there's no upgrading offer from Mirage to TVP 9. ( http://www.tvpaint.com/store/prices/prices.php )
There you can also test your personal Lock Code.

Post by Julian wigley »

Klaus Hoefs wrote:......test your personal Lock Code.
Klaus,
That's what I did.
Regards,
Julian
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Julian, another tip, if you can afford not to update immediately: wait a little time - like it is with many apps probably there will be special prices (Christmas ?).

Post by Julian wigley »

Klaus,
I am talking about building an effective user base, and what support users should expect from their software developers. My alluding to Video Works and the success of Macromedia was a bit obscure. They gave free copies of Director (in the early days) to all box holders of Video Works, and Macromedia never looked back, nor did their users.

My dongle is safe (I'm told) but the software version I own is now apparently dead on the software evolution tree...that makes me cranky, so back to fishing.
And using the software I have...until Christmas, as maybe then, a few cross grades will come along as well :)

All the best,
Jules
User 767

Post by User 767 »

Adobe has had a good upgrade policy for as long as I can remember. You can pretty much upgrade from any version of their software to the current version for one price. Like v.4 to v.10 is the same price as v.9 to v.10.

I don't think I've experienced any other software publisher that won't give you a price break at all on an upgrade. Most software companies seem pretty eager to get a user base, and keep it. If I have to pay full price for the 'new' version, I have no pressing reason to buy it if I already have the old version. When it is time for moving on, at full price, I would naturally look at the options to see what else is out there (it's essentially a new purchase, after all). A discounted upgrade price makes it an easier decision to continue along, doesn't it? Different level of investment.

If you think about it, the "new" version of Mirage (TVPA) only became available a couple of months ago (as far as many people are concerned). TVPA claims ownership and copyright to Mirage (and has all along). It's not even a cross-grade. Too bad about the folks who use Mirage, huh? Burned by everyone. No one cares, can't get a break. Aren't we a pitiful lot?

If TVPA had offered anything compelling in v.8, I probably would have purchased the upgrade. It didn't really offer enough to bother with, so I didn't. Now 9's out, and probably worthwhile, but I'm buying it anew, aren't I? So, at a price point that makes it worthwhile to check elsewhere, we do. For me, it's not the money, it's the principle of the thing (based on the principles established by others, granted). It probably all comes down to a balance sheet. Lose some customers, make up the difference with the ones who stick around and pay the higher price. Oh well. I wonder where the word of mouth/reputation part fits on that balance sheet? There will always be the disgruntled. I sure don't like being among them though.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Hi,

We have not forgotten Mirage user. For now there is no upgrade prices because of some reasons:
- The end of the claim was just before the release of TVP Animation 9 so Mirage pricing policy was not studied at this time,
- It is the Summer break and the team is reduced. So no new pricing policy can be done before the end of August.

Here, at TVPaint Developpement, are quite transparent and we take care of our customers. This means:
- They have very advantageous prices to upgrade,
- They benefit of free updates for the latest version (generally we release a major free update one year after the first release),
- They benefit of a complete technical and commercial support.

I would like to add that we have done a special offer to upgrade from Mirage to TVP Animation 8. This was available from January 2008 to June 2008. A lot of Mirage users consider that TVP Animation 8 offer a lot of new useful funstionnalities for a reasonable price. It was possible too to upgrade from Mirage to TVP Animation 8 during the previous 2 years.
Ex TVPaint Team
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

Patrice,
Excuse my ignorance regarding summer breaks. I appreciate receiving a response (from TVPaint Developpment), if not an answer.
Jules.
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

As a Mirage user since its original pre-release version, I was never made aware of upgrade path of TVP.. I struggled to seek enlightenment on my own as TVP version 8.6.1 was made available. This two year period of upgrade/crossgrade whatever you want to call it is not valid to those users that had been manipulated by vindictive business practices. I for one chose to bite the bullet and totally absorb cost for my own actions.

and you know what???? I am so glad that I am here... :)

perhaps keeping upgrade/crossgrade path from Mirage v1.5 to TVP v8.6 available would be desired policy acceptable to all.... just humble suggestion

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
rawhead

Post by rawhead »

masterchief wrote:As a Mirage user since its original pre-release version, I was never made aware of upgrade path of TVP.. I struggled to seek enlightenment on my own as TVP version 8.6.1 was made available. This two year period of upgrade/crossgrade whatever you want to call it is not valid to those users that had been manipulated by vindictive business practices. I for one chose to bite the bullet and totally absorb cost for my own actions.

and you know what???? I am so glad that I am here... :)

perhaps keeping upgrade/crossgrade path from Mirage v1.5 to TVP v8.6 available would be desired policy acceptable to all.... just humble suggestion

regards,
William
Wise words. Example i bought Mirage last year, and i didn´t knew about this crossgrade thing before buying. It´s maybe just my stupidity. Well, i like Mirage and it´s feature, so that´s isn´t so bad thing. Seems like: "Now we got it, let´s bury it"

Patrice wrote:Hi,
We have not forgotten Mirage user. For now there is no upgrade prices because of some reasons:
- The end of the claim was just before the release of TVP Animation 9 so Mirage pricing policy was not studied at this time,
- It is the Summer break and the team is reduced. So no new pricing policy can be done before the end of August.
That´s sounds nice :)
Markus
eckart

Post by eckart »

Hope for a fair crossgrade offer...
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi there,

You will have more news as soon as possible.
The whole Team is back. :)
Fabrice Debarge
rawhead

Post by rawhead »

Fabrice wrote:Hi there,

You will have more news as soon as possible.
The whole Team is back. :)
Thank you.

:mrgreen:
Markus
TVPaint
Site Admin

Re: Mirage owner status? => Special Mirage Offer !!!

Post by TVPaint »

Between 2003 and 2007, you have purchased through the company Bauhaus Software a 2D Paint, Animation and FX software called Mirage, issued from the 7th TVPaint technology.
As you may already know from the Bauhaus Software website and recent emails : TVPaint Development, the former team who has created this technology, is now officially the owner Mirage Software Business.

Mirage Users can benefit of Special Discount for the purchase of TVP Animation 9. This offer is available until November 30th 2008.

To be eligible to this offer, you need to have a valid Mirage licence :
- Get TVP Animation 9 Standard Edition for 350€ instead of 475€.
- Get TVP Animation 9 Professionnal Edition for 700€ instead of 950€.

If you want to buy a license of your current version you can achieve this directly in our Online Store. No box, no manual, no new dongle... just buy and download your TVP Animation 9.0 copy online, re-use your old Mirage dongle and save the shipping costs !!

Just follow those simple steps :
1°) Read our conditions here
2°) Select the « Mirage Users » section in the Online Store.
3°) Select your country in the list. ( Use « other country » if you can't find it )
4°) Enter you Mirage Lock-code* in the field below the product you want to buy, the prices will automatically change and have the discount price.
*Your Mirage Lock-code is located in the Help > About Section of the product.
5°) Click on the « purchase now » button to finish the transaction !

You can see the new features of the current version here and the differences with Mirage on the Software Comparison's sheet.

ACT NOW !! After the 30th november 2008, this special offer is OVER!
radams6

Post by radams6 »

Hello to all,

Thanks Hervé and the TVP team for allowing another upgrade path to us previous Mirage users.
Its been an up and down ride thru everything...and I hope that the past stays in the past...and is water under the bridge.

Hope all of you are doing okay...its been a bit since I've been on any forum.

Looking forward to taking TVP pro 9 for a spin...and see if it improves the general video and film workflows.
Hey Hérve, are you going to look at supporting floating point or half float color space....along with supporting Open EXR ?

Will there be a 3D LUT supported...and will you add support for the RED camera ?

Cheers,
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch