Mirage owner status?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
User 767

Re: Mirage owner status?

Post by User 767 »

radams6 wrote: Will there be a 3D LUT supported...and will you add support for the RED camera ?
Out of curiosity, why would they support the Red? You can use Red's software to get a functional QT out anyway (and it's still a quickly moving target)
radams6

Post by radams6 »

User 767 wrote:Out of curiosity, why would they support the Red? You can use Red's software to get a functional QT out anyway (and it's still a quickly moving target)
Hi User 767,

Well there are several reasons.

1) time, it takes time to render out. rather than working in Realtime...like Scratch does with Red Raw files.
2) bit depth from of the raw RED files have more range
3) less chance of inaccurate rendering
4) working with the raw format keeps better color, and if maintained in a floating workflow, allows for better color depth
and much more control over every aspect of the image and sequence. which is all lost when you go to QT.

Cheers,
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

radams6 wrote:Hello to all,

Thanks Hervé and the TVP team for allowing another upgrade path to us previous Mirage users.
Its been an up and down ride thru everything...and I hope that the past stays in the past...and is water under the bridge.

Hope all of you are doing okay...its been a bit since I've been on any forum.

Looking forward to taking TVP pro 9 for a spin...and see if it improves the general video and film workflows.
Hey Hérve, are you going to look at supporting floating point or half float color space....along with supporting Open EXR ?

Will there be a 3D LUT supported...and will you add support for the RED camera ?

Cheers,
Welcome Ray,

Maybe should post this in the feature request section, Hervé is regulary reading it. :wink:
Fabrice Debarge
User 767

Post by User 767 »

radams6 wrote: 2) bit depth from of the raw RED files have more range
3) less chance of inaccurate rendering
4) working with the raw format keeps better color, and if maintained in a floating workflow, allows for better color depth
and much more control over every aspect of the image and sequence. which is all lost when you go to QT.
I guess color space improvement would be a big part of that. Still stuck in 8 bit land here.
radams6

Post by radams6 »

Yeah even if we had half float...would be so much better...

Less banding, noise, dither, etc...

It would also give us so much ability to control transitions, blurs, lighing etc...in a much more organic real world way as well.

Cheers,
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

would this floating point slow down drawing? (no idea what this technology requires of your system)
but if that's the price i'd reconsider.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
radams6

Post by radams6 »

Tantalus wrote:would this floating point slow down drawing? (no idea what this technology requires of your system)
but if that's the price i'd reconsider.
Well, I would recommend that it be part of the project setup...to be 8 bit or float...that way you can work in the color space you want or need.
That is how compositors work...also Photoshop.

Thou I politely suggest TVP needs to have better color depth (at least in its calculations and renderings) to have better precision and color rendition...even if the output is 8 bit.

This would not slow things down (especially with todays CPUs and GPUs)...

Edit: this would also give us better brush and blending options...that can not be done in standard 8 bit. And can still be realtime.

Cheers,

Ray Adams
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hm, I know that having more than 8bit per channel is important for SFX, but I am happy to live without that for my style of drawing and animating. What I fear is the overhead of a 12 or even 16bit version of TVP: I expect everything to be slower (at least on my machine: I can't afford a new one the next years!), drawing, calculating, even saving (bigger files!).
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
radams6

Post by radams6 »

slowtiger wrote:Hm, I know that having more than 8bit per channel is important for SFX, but I am happy to live without that for my style of drawing and animating. What I fear is the overhead of a 12 or even 16bit version of TVP: I expect everything to be slower (at least on my machine: I can't afford a new one the next years!), drawing, calculating, even saving (bigger files!).
Hallo Langsam Tiger.

It's been awhile since we last chatted...Nice to see you here.

As I stated in my previous post...processing and rendering from a deeper color depth to an 8 bit file should not slow down anything...but be more precise and give you better looking results...that are more accurate...all in realtime...even on a machine of a couple + years old...

Thou, things are changing in the technology field...with major advancements. Software also can not stand still...and TVP needs to look at supporting 64 bit, Multi core processors, Vista, the 64 bit Mac, etc...this will just help to expand functionalities...and abilites. Even a new cheap laptop has more CPU power now for $600 than my dual Xeon had just two years ago ($7,500). Also the HUGE calculation power of GPUs, Allowing even more Realtime functionality.

That doesn't mean that the app won't work with older systems...just that it is moving forward...which is also where their competition and user base will be going as well.

Tschuess,

Ray Adams
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

TVP 9 is the ONLY app that I am using for graphics that DOES NOT give me option of choosing 8/16bit colorspace.

I would also like to learn more about color profiles, etc.

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
Mandalaholic

Post by Mandalaholic »

Howdy Yaaaal!
radams6

Post by radams6 »

The force knows :)
Ray Adams