Brush parameters backwards when flipping image

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
KenC

Brush parameters backwards when flipping image

Post by KenC »

I allways flip my image a lot to sort of "reset" my view on perspective, sometimes I work with the image flipped for a while and then flip back and forth. I'm using the Key:Zoom : Flip Horizontally

When the image is flipped from it's original orientation, brush parameters such as pen twist/Azimut/direction etc.. gets flipped to, it's a bit awkward because for example twisting the pen clockwize turns the brush counterclockwize, direction of brush is reversed etc..

I don't know if this is intended behaviour, if it is then disregard please.
There's no place like ~/
Sewie

Re: Brush parameters backwards when flipping image

Post by Sewie »

Maybe TVP flips the image through grapics card? It would make sense that that would flip the brush as well.
(Though, if so, it ought to be be fixed, I believe. Because that's a bug.)
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

TVP Animation doesn't depend on the graphical card, so it cannot come from this =)

It's an intended thing, but maybe our super developers can do something about this.
KenC

Post by KenC »

It's very confusing to me at least.

I use a lot of large textured cut brushes and pen twist/orientations/angle etc.. to orient the brush on the fly so when I flip the image everything works backwards from what my brain expects.
There's no place like ~/
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

But it's logicial : when you flip with TVP, you flip everything. Because if you paper wasn't flipped when your drawing is flipped, imagine how strange it could be when putting the drawing in the good way : the texture will change !

The flip does exist only to check the wrong things you could done : perspective, proportions... It's not a feature that modifies your drawing.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

KenC wrote:... so when I flip the image everything works backwards from what my brain expects.
as you're flipping the image, flip your brain with too ... :mrgreen: :arrow:

more seriously, do you flip the Image? ... or do you flip the View ?
2 different things !
KenC

Post by KenC »

I flip the view, not modifying pixel data, which is why I use zoom:flip because it's non-destructive.

I use flipping a lot and actually paint while flipped because it keeps me from getting used to one way of looking at the image, forces my brain to never get complacent with one view of things, hard to explain :?

I guess I could script my way out of this by making a script that inverts all brush connections when I hit my flip key.
There's no place like ~/
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

if you're drawing on a single layer work, you can try "[" shortkey which flips image,
it should respect your custombrush connections, and I don't think H or V (or both) flipping are destructive,
why they should ?
KenC

Post by KenC »

"Destructive" it's just a term I use for anything that actually modifies pixel data. Image/modify/flip for example changes pixel data, if you saved it and reopened it would still be flipped.

Using Key:zoom:flip vertical doesn't change pixel data, it just flips the view and it's instant which is why I like it.

Otherwize I'd have to flip say 10 layers in order for me to see everything flipped and on a large image that crunches a lot of data (Slow) since I do it a lot.

I just don't see what's usefull with brushes suddently doing the inverse of what the connections is set to when the view is flipped?
There's no place like ~/
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

well, it seems logical to me as the (connection) direction/orientation angle is actually relative to the project,
but I agree it could be cool to have a (preference?) option to choose/swap between Project mode and View mode.
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

there is a "non documented" and "unsupported" feature to map the custom brush to the screen
tv_restorebrush screenwrap 1
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
KenC

Post by KenC »

I knew there would be a way :D

I'll use that until I get a handle on the cangle,csize parameters, they've haunted me for a while what with all the scary numbers :shock:
There's no place like ~/
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I always wondered about screenwrap.