transform tool

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
sparky

transform tool

Post by sparky »

Hi all, have searched through all the 518 or so threads to find a solution but still frustrated!
I have imported an image sequence into a layer and want to re-size some individual images of the sequence (using the transform tool - 'position') but it is resizing everything in that layer.
Also I can't work out why the transformation part (the red box with handlers) seems to be a seperate layer within the layer, while unable to select the green box (maintaining original image size) and resize my original image.
When I view that supposedly transformed layer while another layer is active it only shows it's Untransformed size.
Also - my Transform Tool panel has checkboxes for "Move Image", "Move Selection Shape", & "Move Selection Content" and not "Apply to image" or "Apply to selection" as shown in the User Guide.
Is there something i should change in the settings or preferences?
Apologies if this question is even more confused than I am at the moment!

Meanwhile - thanks to all for a very lively discussion board/help forum.
Has got me going as a newbie quite happily.
Cheers
sparky
Elodie

Re: transform tool

Post by Elodie »

sparky wrote:Also - my Transform Tool panel has checkboxes for "Move Image", "Move Selection Shape", & "Move Selection Content" and not "Apply to image" or "Apply to selection" as shown in the User Guide.
Is there something i should change in the settings or preferences?
Concerning this fact, it just means you are using TVP animation 9.5 (be sure by the way you have the last update). The user guide gets some differences with the current version, so don't hesitate to read the appendix to know a little more about the changes (who have changed since september... *siiigh* update the software seems to be faster than modify the manuals :mrgreen:)

Whatever, you bug is quite strange. Are you sure you didn't select all your frames before apply the transformation ?
Moreover, could you explain more this point :
sparky wrote:Also I can't work out why the transformation part (the red box with handlers) seems to be a seperate layer within the layer, while unable to select the green box (maintaining original image size) and resize my original image.
I don't really understand what you mean.

Don't hesitate to add many screenshots, with the different steps of your problem. =)
sparky

Post by sparky »

I've attached a couple of screen shots... the first one shows what i mean by the Green "original" size of the image and the Red bounding box with handlers I've been dragging out to scale the image. AsI mentioned, when i scale the first image in that sequence on that layer - All of the images in that layer are scaled also... I haven't selected ALL images in the layer, just that one. Maybe I have to put different size images on different layers (but it takes so long and the timeline gets very crowded!!)
The second image i've attached shows what i mean when there is another layer active (the layer Above)... It shows the previously 'scaled' layer at it's original size.
I had clicked the "apply" button, but it doesn't seem to save my scaling - so am not sure what I need to do
(quite possibly just scale all my images to a uniform size BEFORE i bring them in to TVP - was just trying to save some time while making a quick animatic from some paper storyboard images)
Thanks for your help Elodie,
Cheers
sparky
other active layer
other active layer
TVP_scale2.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 31402 times
scaled image
scaled image
TVP_scale1.jpg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 31400 times
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

sparky wrote:... Also I can't work out why the transformation part (the red box with handlers) seems to be a seperate layer within the layer, while unable to select the green box (maintaining original image size) and resize my original image.
When I view that supposedly transformed layer while another layer is active it only shows it's Untransformed size.
hi Sparkly,
it seems that you don't use the tool completly, or correctly :
the greenbox is sort of auto-detection of the layer's content, the redbox is the user's move/scale/rotate intention,
as long as you see the 2 boxes (green and red), it's only a preview, you have to Apply it to make it effective,
(lower button, at the bottom of the Tool:Transform window, or "Enter" key), when applied, you should see your change result,
and a new greenbox (new auto-detection), but no red box anymore.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

A point of interest here: Ever since I've been using Sven's ToolSetsARCH script to toggle between tool sets (pen and eraser with one key, for instance) I don't have to use apply anymore when working with off pegs. Just going back to my pencil does that automatically -- the way many of us here would like it to be by default.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
sparky

Post by sparky »

Thanks ZigOtto...sometimes I think pixies invade my system!!
I had been applying "apply" yet it still wouldn't work, and bizarrely also, it wouldn't select single images...and then in frustration, i re-loaded everything into a new project and put then all in the same layer, re-booted my machine, and BINGO...everything worked perfectly - single image re-scale/move and save as i want it!
so after all my cursing and sweearing I now have it fixed :oops:
thanks for the help in any case
and eventually I will get my head around these scripts/tool/shortcuts that Paul mentioned too!
Cheers
sparky
starsky

Post by starsky »

I am facing similar problems: I see the APPLY Button and after pushing it all the images get into the position i want. BUT if i play the animation with the remote control the images are shown in the former position again. After stopping the animation it shows the old position, if i select one image it shows the transformed. If I save the file and close TVPaint, open it - the former position, not the transformed one is visible, all transformed settings are lost. If i export the clip, nothing has been transformed.

Can anyone help?
thanks!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You see your images because it's just a display.

Until you see a red rectangle, it means you didn't apply anything.
If you want to move all your frame, I advise you to :

-move your first image (without apply !)
-select all your frames
-Apply to move all your frames.

If you want to recompute the instances, go in the Animator panel => Exposures => Recompute (2 green rectangles with a red arrow, next to a S in a yellow square).
starsky

Post by starsky »

When am I supposed to see the red rectangle?

I followed your advice, (after restart & open)
move first frame, select all frames in the animation layer, use apply - no red rectangle, no result.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

hmmm... which tool are you using ? Is it the position tool or the panorama tool ? You have to choose the position tool (ctrl + T)
starsky

Post by starsky »

I am using the Transformation Tool -> Position (Ctrl T) ...
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Can you screenshot me your interface ?

You are supposed to see the red rectangle when you are moving what the current image contains. You have green rectangle => basic position / red rectangle => the result when applied.
starsky

Post by starsky »

asis.jpg
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

:roll:

How do you want to modify your image if you lock your layers ? :mrgreen:
Byron

Post by Byron »

It wouldn't be because the layer is locked? That would certainly prevent any transforms.

I understood the green/red rectangles worked differently than described here though.. The content is contained in a green rectangle when the Transform tool is selected - the rectangle turns red when the content has been moved but not applied, once the transform is applied, the rectangle goes green again.

Edit - Elodie beat me to it!