Wacom driver's "Force Proportions" setting

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Sewie

Wacom driver's "Force Proportions" setting

Post by Sewie »

Hello dear TVP friends,

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it...; What's the better setting in the Wacom "mapping" tab?; Should the Force Proportions be "on" or "off" for a more natural feel when drawing ? I Can't seem to make up my mind and I would like to know your opinion....
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Byron

Re: Wacom driver's "Force Proportions" setting

Post by Byron »

As I understand it, Force Proportions will make the drawing area of your tablet match the proportions of your monitor. So, if you have a widescreen monitor and a widescreen tablet, then it's not necessary to tick this option. If, like me, however, you have a 4x3 tablet and a widescreen monitor, you would tick Force Proportions to effectively letterbox your tablet - if that makes sense.
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Sewie wrote:What's the better setting in the Wacom "mapping" tab?
Should the Force Proportions be "on" or "off" for a more natural feel when drawing ?
I Can't seem to make up my mind and I would like to know your opinion....
Please check '' Force Proportion ''. On is true setting.
When you draw a circle with Shift key, it may be deffelent face the option switch "or " and "off".
drawcircle.png
Wacom Japan Official support Q&A ''Can I use intuos3 Wide model for 4:3 scale monitor ?''
〝稽古とは 一より習ひ 十を知り 十よりかへる もとのその一〟 利休
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

This has been my experience too -- I can comfortably draw a circle when proportions are forced. This has been the case with any Wacom tablet I have owned (and I have owned plenty) so I would like to know who doesn't check it and why?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Because everybody has not same work hardwares.
Some people use 16:9 monitor with 16:9 size wacom tablet, some people use dual monitor with intuos 2, some people ... :)

'Force Proportions' has a problem.
It will make FORCE fitness ratio but make unuseable area on tablet (rightside or left side, 1/5~1/6), too.
That is why the option preset is OFF.
Wacom intuos4 first step guide for user of Japan.
〝稽古とは 一より習ひ 十を知り 十よりかへる もとのその一〟 利休
Paul Fierlinger

ten_zero wrote:Because everybody has not same work hardwares.
Some people use 16:9 monitor with 16:9 size wacom tablet, some people use dual monitor with intuos 2, some people ... :)

'Force Proportions' have a problem.
It will make FORCE fitness ratio but make unuseable area on tablet (rightside or left side, 1/5~1/6), too.
That is why the option preset is OFF, Wacom Japan tablet guide for Japanese MANGA begineer PDF.
Ah! I guess I have always had the same configurations of tablet and monitor. But I end up with much unusable areas on my tablet because I map mydrawing area to something just slightly over the edges of my Project window. My Project window is always much smaller than my monitor. But I like drawing small so my rule is to map out 1:1 the tablet's drawing area to equal the size of the Project window on my monitor.

I am looking forward to the day when TVP will allow the Wacom pen to utilize it's switch between mouse mode and pen mode. Then I will be one more step closer to heaven.
Paul
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Byron wrote:As I understand it, Force Proportions will make the drawing area of your tablet match the proportions of your monitor. So, if you have a widescreen monitor and a widescreen tablet, then it's not necessary to tick this option...
Perhaps this explains why I barely notice any difference between FP "on" or "off"...
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Sewie,
I have both tablet and monitor wide angle and notice a substantial difference; no wonder your avatar is so narrow and oval! :mrgreen:
Kidding aside, I think I finally get it; I ALWAYS have to map out a portion of my screen and NEVER select full monitor, so this is why I've been ticking FP no matter which tablet or monitor I've had. My hunch is that you don't map a proportion of your screen but use full monitor to draw on, am I right?
Paul
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

You are, I have both tablet and screen area on "Full".
Paul Fierlinger

Well, then this has been a very revealing thread to me. After all these years I finally understand one more thing about the Wacom tablet; a tool I have a love/hate relationship with, yet use it more hours in a year than most other devices, with perhaps the exception of a wrist watch and a chair, but including a car, shoes, kitchen utilities, the telephone -- there has never been a hand tool I have used as much as the Wacom tablet, yet there still remain a couple more mysteries to me about the way I might do better with it.
Paul
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

a good way to see the differnce is to put a coin (or any round object) on your wacom surface and circle it using both settings.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Tried it and I can hardly see any difference.