installing custom brushes

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
cbandla

installing custom brushes

Post by cbandla »

I'm having trouble installing some custom brushes from the Content Sharing section of the forum need some guidance.

1. some tvpx files install just fine but others seem to be empty. I found a post that mentioned the problem but couldn't find an answer.

2. some brushes have additional folders/files other than just a .bin file and a folder. How do you go about installing those?

Finally, can someone tell me what the last release of 8.6 for the mac was.

Charles Bandla
Rochester, NY

MacBook Pro
OS X 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB Ram
15 GB free on HD
TVP Animation 8.6.2
Elodie

Re: installing custom brushes

Post by Elodie »

Did you look at this topic ? http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(I guess you did)

What do you mean by "some tvpx files seem to be empty" ?
Concerning "some brushes have additional folders/files other than just a .bin file and a folder", it can mean some brushes from the .bin needs a special paper, made by the person who's created the bin and the brushes. This paper must be added in the software. To do this, you simply have to go in your Library =>TVP Animation => Default => Papers

Do you have an example to show me, in order to answer you precisely ? =)
cbandla

Post by cbandla »

When I try to drag and drop the tvpx file onto Tv Paint it install I find some have a check box while others do not (see attachment). Sof far I've had this result with Chinese_Brushes.tvpx and opaque.tvpx
screen capture of empty tvpx
screen capture of empty tvpx
empty_tvpx.jpg (24.52 KiB) Viewed 32572 times
The ones with extras files I refering to are the SplatterBrushes, instead of just a folder with a .bin file and data folder they have a config.txt file with splashscreen and SplatterBrush! folders. The SplatterBrush! folder has a .bin file with data and grg folders. I tried installing it from the SplatterBrush! flolder in the normal way (as outlined in you installing custom brush post at the top of the content forum) but it wants to over write an existing file. Do I need to rename something?

BTW, was 8.6.2 the final release for TV Paint 8.6?

Charles Bandla
Rochester, ny
USA
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

At least for Chinese Brushes, there are two versions.
The one with chinese file names doesn't load on western OSes.
Look in the same thread you found the one you have if you have the right one, the one with western file names.

The latest 8.6.x is dated 2009 06 23, don't know the version number.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

8.6.5 for the Professional and 8.6.2 for the Standard =)

whatever, if you are hesitating, feel free to update your software on the website => downloads => updates
cbandla

Post by cbandla »

I've got 8.6.2 standard so it looks like I'm all set there. The main help I'm looking for is trouble shooting my problem with the tvpx files and installing the .bin based brushes like SplatterBrush! and Stewie's Hairy Brushes.
extraFiles.jpg
extraFiles.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 32545 times
Are the tvpx files that show up empty when trying to install incompatible with 8.6.2 standard?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

it sounds strange. TVPX should work on 8.6.2.
Fabrice Debarge
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Try to download them again, and be sure your dl software doesn't mess with them !
Once downloaded, they should be FILES, not DIRECTORIES.
If you get a directory, your dl software did uncompress them !
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
cbandla

Post by cbandla »

ematecki wrote:Try to download them again, and be sure your dl software doesn't mess with them !
Once downloaded, they should be FILES, not DIRECTORIES.
If you get a directory, your dl software did uncompress them !
No, that doesn't appear to be the problem. The result of the download process is a file.

Charles
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I've just tried to read the Splatter brush with TVP Animation 8.5 Standard and you are right : there is a problem when reading the TVPx.

Hmm...

We've tried different things (withdraw the "!" in the name, export the panel in .bin)... but it still doesn't work. We cannot anymore make launch TVP Animation 8 in debbug mode, so I will convert the brushes that interst you. It's the only thing I can do for you at the moment =)
cbandla

Post by cbandla »

Elodie wrote: We cannot anymore make launch TVP Animation 8 in debbug mode, so I will convert the brushes that interst you. It's the only thing I can do for you at the moment =)
That would be greatly appreciated. Here are the custom panels I'm the most interested in:

Stewie's Hairy Brushes:
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Splatter Brush v2:
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cartoonmonkey.com/SplatterBrush-V2.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ids Natural Brushes:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your efforts. I look forward to the time when I will be able to upgrade to the new version.

Charles
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

cbandla wrote:Stewie's Hairy Brushes:..
Please... the name is Sewie. :) You may call me Michael.

The '.rar' (below) contains a '.bin' file and a folder with data.
But I don't how you can install them because I've never worked with TVP 8.... I hope this works for you.
Attachments
Sewie_Paintbrushes.rar
(731.61 KiB) Downloaded 957 times
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
cbandla

Post by cbandla »

Sewie wrote:
cbandla wrote:Stewie's Hairy Brushes:..
Please... the name is Sewie. :) You may call me Michael..
Oops, sorry Michael. I tried the converted custom panel and unfortunately it didn't work. But thanks for going to the effort. I really appreciate it.

Charles
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Your welcome. I wouldn't know how else to convert it for you.
Hopefully Elodie can help...
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Sorry for answering you so late, but I took some vacancy days last week =)

Here is a .zip file with the animations that define the custom brush + the configuration of the custom brush.

Charles, to cut your custom brush as an animated brush, select all your frames befor cut it with the "brush cutter'" (the little "B" into the Main panel).
Then, a window will appear, asking you if you agree to cut an animated brush. Press okay and use the file "splat_configuration" to configure your animated brush, like Chad made. =)

Don't forget also to add enabale the Paper and choose the texture "Paper 03", before saving the custom brush (Hardness = 9%)
splat.zip
(155.19 KiB) Downloaded 912 times