Weird right-click eraser is active while stylus pen in air

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Weird right-click eraser is active while stylus pen in air

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Hmmmm. I have my top rocker switch set to light table mode and my bottom one to Tools: Swap Stylus Tips. I have decided for this arrangement because most of the day I draw and erase for which I need to often turn the light table off and on. The few times I need the right mouse button I use the Mouse.
I suppose we each have different workflows.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Soom

Post by Soom »

Ok, I can confirm that the problem became worse only with the new Wacom drivers. Once I rolled back to an older driver, everything became normal again. Still the problem manifests on brushes that have their minimum Size set higher than 0, but at least it's very minor. What happens is this: when right-clicking, the new Wacom driver treats the right click as if it was at 100% pressure; the older Wacom driver treats it as a minimum pressure set by the app. So it will behave at whatever minimum pressure the current pen is set to. There is a workaround to that problem - set Wacom Pen options to Click & Tap instead of Hover Click. It takes a little bit to get used to, but it works avoiding unwanted Erase strokes. The drawback is that it will also affect how you right click anything in any software - you will have to tap your pen each time, which sometimes might seem a bit too much - hover click makes things generally easier and faster...
Peter Wassink wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 21:53 Right click in Tvpaint is essential and i use it intensively.
i've set my wacom pen top rocker switch to "right click" for this reason.

It does allow you to draw in erase mode with whatever is the current tool.
And actually that is the only thing that is not ideal about this wacom setting in tvpaint.

Because for erasing i would rather have the rocker switch set to "erase" because this allows you to erase with a different (thicker) tool to erase.
Which is much nicer, because erasing with a thin pen line doesn't work in some cases.

Still... because i have to choose for my most used wacom pen button
to either be the "Right Click" or the "Eraser"
i still set it to right click. This so i can zoom and move and "filled stroke erase" and acces menus... etc etc

Same exactly here. I found that I mostly use the right-click eraser and not any other erasers, as it lets you control the same pen line with more precision. If I ever need to delete bigger areas I flip my pen and use the Eraser Pen tip.
Paul Fierlinger wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 22:06 Hmmmm. I have my top rocker switch set to light table mode and my bottom one to Tools: Swap Stylus Tips. I have decided for this arrangement because most of the day I draw and erase for which I need to often turn the light table off and on. The few times I need the right mouse button I use the Mouse.
I suppose we each have different workflows.
Indeed each one has different workflows, but I think Paul that you are missing out on the most essential function that TVPaint has with it's right click function (which you actually do use for erase - so draw and erase all the time, just like most of us I guess :)) But of course once you are used to your workflow, there is no really reason to change. My light table is set on the Cintiq express buttons, which I can turn on and off instantly with my other hand...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Paul Fierlinger

Just for clarification, my eraser is a a keystroke command which is entered into the Wacom setting and my Intuos Tablet's express keys which I use to advance my cursor forward and reverse and up and down the timeline. This way most of my time I spend drawing and erasing is mechanically concentrated around the pen and the tablet with only occasional side trips to the TVP interface. I believe this arrangement is very practical considering I have an array of four monitors to spread the multitude of TVP panels around and locate at a glance, which is why I use the RMB at a minimum. We each seem to work in so many different ways, which speaks well of TVP's GUI. Sandra, who does everything concerning color has just as many monitors yet at first glance. what she has on her spread looks like an entirely different software to most people.
Paul
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

We'd probably need to get a better understanding of your various usages of the pen in TVPaint... The thing is that is also depends on the capabilities of your pen, and how you configured the driver. It's a bit tricky :?

Basically, if the right click is configured to flip the pen tips, then I would assume that the eraser (or the erase mode) is a bit over sensitive on Mac.
Paul Fierlinger

Actually I have learned to use TVP's pen and eraser well and reliably, which is that I don't tick any of the pen/eraser options available in TVP's Preferences and also leave INK ticked in Wacom's Mapping window as well as in my WINDOWS ink and finally (and this is important) I have a keyboard stroke (/ -- but it can be anything) assigned with "Tools:" Swap Stylus Tips". Incidentally this tool seems to behave reliably in this beta release. This way My pen does nothing when the Wacom pen's rocker switch is pressed in the air.

At this point it takes a little practice in making all these settings work together.
I can either start off by holding down the "/" key, select my favorite pen, release the "/" key followed by holding down the forward slash key again while pressing my favorite eraser and I'm set for work. All this stays in place whenever closing and reopening TVP. A note to the eraser mode. If I don't select my favorite pen and eraser, TVP will use its built in tools but with a caveat that the eraser will always be of the same width as the pen. Using my own custom tools gives me more versatility when drawing and erasing.

I use the Wacom pen's bottom rocker switch to work this way by assigning the switch with the same key stroke I use in TVP and assign the rocker switch's top one with the keystroke I have assigned TVP for toggling the Light Table. This makes the pen a versatile drawing and erasing tool only, which is what an animator needs and uses the most in my view.

By the way I have explained this system to my friend TONY who works with a MAC and he confirms that it works the same way for him.
Paul
Soom

Post by Soom »

This problem has just reappeared again on a Huion tablet on Windows: pen eraser is at full pressure while hovering in the air. Results in constant accidental erased strokes. So it becomes not only a Wacom driver question now...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Soom

Post by Soom »

Another UPDATE! Now with the recent Wacom driver (version 6.4.2-3) on Windows 10 this whole problem is gone! However - this has a toll: the hover-click function now is totally gone in TVPaint. I guess there is no win win situation in this question - it's one or the other. I prefer it the way it is now - no more accidental erased strokes.