Weird right-click eraser is active while stylus pen in air

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

Re: Weird right-click eraser is active while stylus pen in air

Post by Soom »

Xavier wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 13:35 Thanks, indeed I reproduced it. Quite funny :D

But there's also a quick workaround : since there's no use of the right click in TVPaint, you can simply disable it in the Wacom settings.

It's apparently a weird side effect of the previous eraser management. I think it will be removed with the new 11.5.1 release anyway.
WHAT? What do you mean by that? Right click is the key feature of TVP - without it it loses it's amazing value - I use it all the time. If I disable it in Wacom settings, it doesn't work anymore.
or do you mean something else?
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

What do you use the right click for ?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 11:24 What do you use the right click for ?
Wacom Pen button set for Right Click allows for hovering over any tool or layers on the timeline and by pressing the Wacom Pen button the menu options appear.
Right Click with the mouse will do the same.
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.00.21 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.00.21 AM.jpg (30.6 KiB) Viewed 19826 times

When drawing with the Spline tools Right Click (with Wacom Pen button or with mouse) allows the user to Close Spline , or Delete Point/Insert Point , Apply Spline , Add to Bin
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.57.33 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.57.33 AM.jpg (29.76 KiB) Viewed 19826 times

Also with Wacom Pen button set to Right Click if you press the pen button the drawing mode automatically switches to erase mode. (for those users who prefer not to flip over their Wacom pen to use the eraser end of the pen to erase.)
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.53.39 AM.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Well I never knew that right click becomes an eraser! I've been using a keystroke that is set to become an eraser which at times fails. I bet right click as eraser never fails, is that true?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Padruig

Post by Padruig »

I use right click for almost every tool in TVPaint. It is one of the best things about the program in my opinion. I set the right click to the space bar so it is always easily in reach with the major navigational keys.

I use right click for turning a brush into an eraser, this is also great because the properties of the brush are the same properties of the eraser. If I have a textured brush, the eraser is textured. If I'm using a hard brush, the eraser is hard. Only caveat here is if you have a brush with drying turned off it will only act as an eraser for recent strokes. You can always turn drying on for the brush and it will act as an eraser on all strokes.

I use it with the filled tool shape tool, right click with filled shape will erase. Great for erasing large irregular areas. Combine with a paper texture and you reveal a bit of texture instead of out right erasing.

Same with the filled rectangle too, right click turns into an eraser.

The flood fill tool can erase too with right click.

If you right click with the selection tool, TVPaint will deselect.

You can use it with just about every tool and it is integral in my workflow. Really hoping this does not leave the program.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

+1 to all of the above and more.
For years, RMB/rightclick-erase has been essential to my style of drawing... at the very least, make available a toggle setting in preferences, it would be critical.
sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Soom

Post by Soom »

+1 to all the comments and more. Right click Erase is one of the key features.
Also another one I use all the time is right click in combination with ALT for zooming really quickly.
Right click is used literally for everything. I don't understand how can you use a software without the righ click - I mean there are basic functions like the right click menus, that you cannot get otherwise... The whole functionality of TVP is based on the use of rmb. It also lets me use the Cintiq without touching the keyboard - the express keys and the right click are enough for everything.
There is no way you can remove this function..! I am really baffled by this "no use for right click in TVP"...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Soom

Post by Soom »

+1 to all the comments and more. Right click Erase is one of the key features.
Also another one I use all the time is right click in combination with ALT for zooming really quickly.
Right click is used literally for everything. I don't understand how can you use a software without the righ click - I mean there are basic functions like the right click menus, that you cannot get otherwise... Half the functionality of TVP is based on the use of RMB. It also lets me use the Cintiq without touching the keyboard - the express keys and the right click are enough for everything.
There is no way you can remove this function! I am really confused by this statement:
Xavier wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 13:35 But there's also a quick workaround : since there's no use of the right click in TVPaint, you can simply disable it in the Wacom settings.
what???
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

ok, I get it, thanks for the explanations :)
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Soom wrote: 01 Mar 2012, 21:55 Can somebody explain why this is happening???
So far I've seen this "hover effect" only on MacOS, not sure why. It may be related to a more "sensitive" driver on MacOS.

Has someone noticed the same on Windows ?
Soom

Post by Soom »

Xavier wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 14:48 So far I've seen this "hover effect" only on MacOS, not sure why. It may be related to a more "sensitive" driver on MacOS.

Has someone noticed the same on Windows ?
Thanks for checking!
As far as I know it happens only on Mac. However it happens only with TVPaint, so I guess there is something specific in TVPaint architecture that is worth checking.
(But in Windows TVPaint has another problem with Wacom Pen, not sure if it's related https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=30)
Soom

Post by Soom »

I have found out that this behavior also appears in another program called Storyboarder (it's a free app for storyboarding) - same pattern - right click erase will erase without touching the screen. So seems that this is something between how Mac treats right-click and Wacom... however this doesn't happen in Adobe programs, but there this button is set to Erase, not to Right-click, so it;s just with right-click function...
Soom

Post by Soom »

Ok, this became even worse. I don't know if it was TVPaint update, or Wacom driver update, but now the right click erase is absolutely unusable - it now works at 100% pressure no matter what the brush. If it's set in Hover click, then it erases immediately at 100% pressure, and then when touching the tablet, it becomes normal, and if it's set in Tap & Click, then it just erases at 100% pressure no matter what. Both result in thick erased lines with little or nor control over it's thickness. I posted this problem also on Wacom forum, since it's not just TVPaint, but any software that relies on right-click as another brush.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Have you checked this out in the Wacom software? I'm pretty sure there is a setting for this somewhere there, most likely in Options.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Right click in Tvpaint is essential and i use it intensively.
i've set my wacom pen top rocker switch to "right click" for this reason.

It does allow you to draw in erase mode with whatever is the current tool.
And actually that is the only thing that is not ideal about this wacom setting in tvpaint.

Because for erasing i would rather have the rocker switch set to "erase" because this allows you to erase with a different (thicker) tool to erase.
Which is much nicer, because erasing with a thin pen line doesn't work in some cases.

Still... because i have to choose for my most used wacom pen button
to either be the "Right Click" or the "Eraser"
i still set it to right click. This so i can zoom and move and "filled stroke erase" and acces menus... etc etc
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM