Is there a way to keep FX stack for each layer separately?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

Is there a way to keep FX stack for each layer separately?

Post by Soom »

I am working on some running cycles with complex paths - 2 characters chasing each other.
To move the characters around the scene along a path, I create a separate Kayframer FX for each. But I can't keep the FX on one layer, while editing another - each time I select another layer, the whole FX stack applies only to it. So to work on each character, I switch the layer, and then switch to the relevant Keyframer effect in the stack. But if I want to compare it to the movement of the other character - I can't (!) unless I apply the FX first to one of the characters.... It's a scene of 425 frames, and applying the FX each time only for a check is a bit frustrating.

It would be nice, if it was possible to keep the FX stack on each layer, without the need to apply it before going to work another layer... Is there such a way?
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
slowtiger

Re: Is there a way to keep FX stack for each layer separatel

Post by slowtiger »

You could easily save every FX setting in the bin and reload it again.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

If I understand your question correctly I believe you could do this in TVP10 by using color coding. There you have an option to
Apply on: Current Layer, Current Group, All Layers...
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

No, he has 2 different FX for 2 different layers.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Then I see your solution as the only one; separate .bin files. That's actually pretty simple.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I think that too. If we could link layer and fx stak together, there will have problem if you duplicate the current clip or if you save your fx stack as a bin file, in order to re use it on another project, with different layers' names.
Soom

Post by Soom »

slowtiger wrote:You could easily save every FX setting in the bin and reload it again.
Not a solution, cause I need to alter the FX on the fly - that means I need to see both FX on both layers at the same time in order to set the right parameters...
Elodie wrote:I think that too. If we could link layer and fx stak together, there will have problem if you duplicate the current clip or if you save your fx stack as a bin file, in order to re use it on another project, with different layers' names.
I think a good solution might be if every FX could have a "destination" option, where I could choose on what layer I apply it. In this way we could control each FX for each layer separately. And in case of duplications or loading saved bins into other projcets etc., the setting could just reset to default - i.e. as it is now - one unified stack.

P.S. In general I am comparing the FX system with other software like AfterFX, and I don't really see a problem of keeping individual FX on each layer, while being able to save/copy/reapply it on other layers, or on the whole project...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Soom wrote:I think a good solution might be if every FX could have a "destination" option,
hmmm, why not, after all. But I'm not developper so I can't say if it's possible or not. =)
lemec

Post by lemec »

Hm. I don't think the *current* TVP file format allows for saving of FX stacks between layers, although each clip has an independent stack.

Now I'm not much of a guru with this so I doubt I'd be able to make something very elegant. Maybe a custom button that could store the current FX stack into a .bin file and save the location via tv_writeprojectstring into the project's metadata and then a custom button to load the .bin file.

It'd have to also handle unique naming of the .bin files so the user (you) would have to ensure that each and every layer was properly named and there'd have to be a separate folder for each TVP file to throw all the .bin FX data into and then there's the multiple revision system that lets you keep prior versions of TVP files ugghhhh oh never mind it is too much of a pain to fix through GRG scripting...
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)