No matter what settings I try, my exported vid runs too fast Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
holyax

No matter what settings I try, my exported vid runs too fast

Post by holyax »

Hi , I have just started using TV paint 9.5 on Windows.
Its a very interesting program, and I want to learn more about it as my major is 2D animation. But sadly using it doesnt come easily, I had lots of problems which I managed to solve thanks to this forum, but one thing is still not clear to me.
I made an animatic at 25 FPS and then exported it at 24FPS as Avi file, it was too fast, maybe 1.5x faster than the original. I converted the project to 12FPS and then tried stretching to 24 FPS in the export settings, but same result, the video runs almost at double speed. Even when I export at 12FPS the video is just as fast as before. I dont know what to do. Why cant I have the same speed as in the main timeline of the project?
holyax

Re: No matter what settings I try, my exported vid runs too

Post by holyax »

oh and its 9.5 pro
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Is it possible that your project is so large that TVP is running it only half speed? Have you tried measuring the speed with a stopwatch, in an editing software, or other similar test?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
holyax

Post by holyax »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Is it possible that your project is so large that TVP is running it only half speed? Have you tried measuring the speed with a stopwatch, in an editing software, or other similar test?
Well, the project is quite big, its about 2.3 GB. The width: 720. height: 576, framerate 25, aspect ratio: 0.937, field Lower First. I didnt click time interpolation, but I dont think its the problem. Its also project with Camera.
The exported video just runs as its fast forward, it doesnt skip any scenes or images, its just faster than it should be, is there a way I can slow it down without having to do it in the editing software?
holyax

Post by holyax »

holyax wrote:
Paul Fierlinger wrote:Is it possible that your project is so large that TVP is running it only half speed? Have you tried measuring the speed with a stopwatch, in an editing software, or other similar test?
Well, the project is quite big, its about 2.3 GB. The width: 720. height: 576, framerate 25, aspect ratio: 0.937, field Lower First. I didnt click time interpolation, but I dont think its the problem. Its also project with Camera.
The exported video just runs as its fast forward, it doesnt skip any scenes or images, its just faster than it should be, is there a way I can slow it down without having to do it in the editing software?
Also, when I convert the project into any lower frame count, like 12 or 10, the exported video is ALWAYS the same speed as before, too fast :(
Paul Fierlinger

Is it possible that you are playing the project back at a different rate than your original TVP configuration? When you steady your cursor (use a mouse for this) over the top heading of the project window, a popup will give you your configuration's frame rate. Is it the same as in the little window on the video control panel at the bottom of your project window (the one where you can manually adjust your frame rate -- which applies only to the preview's playback but not to your export.)
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

BTW, why are you using the lower field setting? This would have nothing to do with the playback speed but I'm just curious. Also your project is indeed huge and if you don't have a particularly hefty computer it might well be the case that its playback can't run any faster.
Paul
holyax

Post by holyax »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Is it possible that you are playing the project back at a different rate than your original TVP configuration? When you steady your cursor (use a mouse for this) over the top heading of the project window, a popup will give you your configuration's frame rate. Is it the same as in the little window on the video control panel at the bottom of your project window (the one where you can manually adjust your frame rate -- which applies only to the preview's playback but not to your export.)
Yes, it is same.
holyax

Post by holyax »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:BTW, why are you using the lower field setting? This would have nothing to do with the playback speed but I'm just curious. Also your project is indeed huge and if you don't have a particularly hefty computer it might well be the case that its playback can't run any faster.
Honestly, I have no idea whats the difference between those fields. I would like to know though :)
And it doesnt need to run faster, the problem is that it is already too fast. I want to have it the same speed as my workspace settings. Could it be the problem thats its a project with a camera? I heard you cant change the settings after you have chosen them from the very beginning.
BTW is 25 FPS ok to export simple videos? I know its advised to have it 24, but is 25 fine as well?
Paul Fierlinger

Fielding is an issue of a video camera. If you are drawing your frames in TVP you should keep the fielding to None, Even, or Progressive (all three labels mean the same thing). Using the camera tool doesn't change anything to the playback speed; it works the other way around -- your camera will adapt to your frame rate settings. But I am stumped. You say you are making an animatic -- are you doing this in the Project Tab? I vaguely remember there once being some sort of bug with the frame rates. Which version of TVP 9,5.xx do you have (the xx being what number?)
Paul
holyax

Post by holyax »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Fielding is an issue of a video camera. If you are drawing your frames in TVP you should keep the fielding to None, Even, or Progressive (all three labels mean the same thing). Using the camera tool doesn't change anything to the playback speed; it works the other way around -- your camera will adapt to your frame rate settings. But I am stumped. You say you are making an animatic -- are you doing this in the Project Tab? I vaguely remember there once being some sort of bug with the frame rates. Which version of TVP 9,5.xx do you have (the xx being what number?)
Oh ok, thanks for the field tip :)
Yes, I think it is project lab, (the one showing a bunch of clips which have individual timelines)
And I think its 9.5.3 version
Its very strange that I cant change the framerate of the exported videos :( I can see the difference in the main workspace when I change the framerate, but it doesnt show in the exported files. Am I missing something?
Maybe its the compression settings? Theres a tick on the Keyframe every 10 frames, I dont know what that means. Compression type :animation.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Best way to check runtime of video is to count frames. How many frames is your project long? If it's 100 frames, it will play back exactly 4 seconds at 25 fps. You do the math.

Number of frames divided through 25 gives you the seconds. Check the video file if it's the expected length.

If the video's length is completely different, you're exporting with a different FPSthan 25.

If the video's length is correct, then the playback in TVP seems to be very slow.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Paul Fierlinger

Oh, and you asked about the difference between 25 and 24 fps. For all practical purposes, none worth bothering with unless you are doing a job for TV in which case you have to follow their specs or if you are working with a very exacting sound track to which you have to synchronize your animation.

EDIT: I just thought of one more thing you might want to try: Turn on Proxy rendering in a window called Preview Settings. If the speed picks up, it's definitively your computer that can't play your project at proper speed.
Last edited by Paul Fierlinger on 27 Oct 2012, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
holyax

Post by holyax »

slowtiger wrote:Best way to check runtime of video is to count frames. How many frames is your project long? If it's 100 frames, it will play back exactly 4 seconds at 25 fps. You do the math.

Number of frames divided through 25 gives you the seconds. Check the video file if it's the expected length.

If the video's length is completely different, you're exporting with a different FPSthan 25.

If the video's length is correct, then the playback in TVP seems to be very slow.
Thanks! Yea, it seems the playback in TVP (timeline inside the clip) is kinda slow, it made me think that its slower than it actually is. The time in the projects area, where all clips are, matches with the exported vids. Maybe its the size of the project which slows it down ? Anyway, I think thats sorted, Thank you very much! :)

Still, I dont understand why I cant reduce the framerate when exporting. If there is the option to choose, then why doesnt it work? The file always plays in the same speed no matter the frame rate count, be it 10 or 12 or 24.
Paul Fierlinger

That's because the export panel automatically compensates by adding frames to play 10, 12, or whatever frame rate per second. This is what the conversion is for.
Paul