Wacom Radial Menu is acting wrong on TVP 10 Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

Re: Wacom Radial Menu is acting wrong on TVP 10

Post by Soom »

Good news - in TVPaint 11 this issue is gone!
but it means, that I'm stuck with it, unless we upgrade to 11 (we are on 10.5.7)
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

if you speak about the 352 , they have just ordered some upgrades of their licenses.
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

Fabrice wrote:if you speak about the 352 , they have just ordered some upgrades of their licenses.
hmmm, nobody told me, I guess it's not for everybody :/
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Soom

Post by Soom »

Ok! After Elodie's visit in the studio, the issue was gone! First I thought it's one of her magic tricks, but then I realized, that we disabled the SubPixel (to test something else) and the issue was solved!
So - voila - subpixel / wacom issue, whatever that means.
And in TVP 11 the issue also exists, despite my previous confirmation - I didn't have SubPixel on then, so the confirmation was not correct. With SubPix on, TVP 11 acts the same
Soom

Post by Soom »

Well, actually it turned out to be only a partial solution - unfortunately without SubPixel, the line is much more jagged. While for rough anim it's kind of ok, for clear drawings it's quite bad. Therefore I do think this issue still has to be solved...
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

The aim of subpixel (on PC) is to have more accurate line quality when you paint with a small zoom value (<100%).
It exists by default on Linux and Mac.

Do you use "Ink" or "Wintab" option in the preferences ?
Ink will not use the same libraries as Wacom, so it can be used without Wacom drivers, but the buttons behavior is a little bit different.

It might have been discussed before, but do you have the same Wacom drivers version between your office and home computer ?
Also, do you have a 32 bit or a 64 bit TVPaint ? at home ? at the office ? It shouldn't be a problem on PC, but who knows.
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

Fabrice wrote:The aim of subpixel (on PC) is to have more accurate line quality when you paint with a small zoom value (<100%).
It exists by default on Linux and Mac.

Do you use "Ink" or "Wintab" option in the preferences ?
Ink will not use the same libraries as Wacom, so it can be used without Wacom drivers, but the buttons behavior is a little bit different.

It might have been discussed before, but do you have the same Wacom drivers version between your office and home computer ?
Also, do you have a 32 bit or a 64 bit TVPaint ? at home ? at the office ? It shouldn't be a problem on PC, but who knows.
Currently this issue is a problem on PC only. On Mac I have another problem, probably related, but it was in another topic. So this one is related only to the PC at my work.
So it's Windows 7, TVP 10.5.7 std 32 bit. I have tried it also on TVP 11 Pro 64 bit - same thing.
I tried to disable WinTab - the Wacom buttons then stop functioning, so that is not an option, and I can't even reproduce the problem like this. What is Ink? I didn't see this option in the prefs. (I'm at home now, so can't check again, maybe I missed smthn?)
When I disable SubPixel, the problem goes away, but the line becomes less smooth, and I don't like it so much. I would rather not use the Radial menu, than have this kind of line.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

On Mac I have another problem, probably related, but it was in another topic.
no : the Mac and PC have completely different behaviors, so the problems you report in different topics are absolutely not linked at all.
I understand you think all is the same on all the OS, but it's currently 100% different on the Input/Output related stuff.
So Ink and Wintab makes sense only on PC, their concept doesn't make any sense on Mac because they doesn't even exists on Mac.

On Mac :
We will check this and answer in the appropriated topic.

On PC :
Wacom drivers uses the Wintab library by default.
Ink is the windows library that is not used by Wacom drivers but it can be used to make a stylus work on PC. for exemple the Apitek and N-Trig works only with Ink.
Wacom hardware can also work with both Ink and Wintab, but the behavior (like the buttons on the stylus) might be different.
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I think the radial menu doesn't work in subpixel mode because the accuracy of the the subpixel mode is far beyond the pixel tickness so at the end when you select and option, you just click more or less nowhere, but I need to check with the dev team. I will come back to you when someone is available for this question.
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ok, we found what could potentially make the radial menu work properly in subpixel, but ... we need some informations from the Wacom tech guys, since the solution is within the wacom drivers code.
We asked them today, so wait and see.
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

Fabrice wrote:ok, we found what could potentially make the radial menu work properly in subpixel, but ... we need some informations from the Wacom tech guys, since the solution is within the wacom drivers code.
We asked them today, so wait and see.
Cool, thanks guys!
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I'm afraid nothing can be done :
Wacom tech people wrote:Unfortunately, there is no event support such as you describe to indicate when the radial menu has opened or closed.

A couple of ways you can lessen the problem:

1. Open/use the radial menu over a part of your application that is not expected to receive data, such as an image area
2. Open/use the radial menu on a portion of the desktop that does not overlay your app. For example, have the RM come up in the bottom right part of the display, away from the app. When you save your tablet preferences, it will save the RM position.
3. Use our Wintab button extensions to assign a tablet button to invoke your own app menus/function; radial menu is not used at all
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

crying_aaaaa.gif
crying_aaaaa.gif (71.67 KiB) Viewed 33936 times
zorman

Post by zorman »

Hi, I'm wondering if there has been anything done on this problem with the Cintiq radial menu leaving marks as you try to select from the radial menu.
It's been 2 years and I'm not fully understanding why it doesn't work as it should.
I'm using a Cintiq 21UX with the latest driver supported for it, 6.3.15-3 on a Windows 10 machine.

I don't get the problem happening in Photoshop 6.2
but do get it in TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.3-64 bits)
and TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.3-32 bits)

Wouldn't this suggest it's a TVPaint issue and how it's interacting with the Cintiq's driver?
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the problem but it would be so great if this worked.

Thanks -ron
zorman

Post by zorman »

Just updated to the latest Cintiq 21UX driver 6.3.20-5 and I still have the same problem in TVP Animation Pro (11.0.3-64 bits)
but not in Photoshop 6.2.

To clarify things more in the TVPaint prefs:

Option A: Tablet set to - Wintab w/SubPixel ON (the problem occurs)

Option B: Tablet set to - Wintab w/SubPixel OFF (the problem doesn't occur but the line is not as smooth at the start and around corners and
interestingly enough when drawing with a B-Spline and trying to close a loop the right click option with the Cintiq pen doesn't work. It does
work if you draw with the mouse and right click. Turning up the Line Smoothing in TVPaint as an option isn't ideal because I need to put it to
high where it starts to change the start and stop point of my line.)

Option C: Tablet set to - Ink (the problem doesn't occur but I lose the function of my Right Click on the pen which is a not good.)
Looks like the Right Click not working with Ink is a known problem.

Darn
Thanks -ron