Why the **** isn't there a selection tool?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Peter Wassink

Re: Why the **** isn't there a selection tool?

Post by Peter Wassink »

SumGuy12314 wrote:But specifically WHAT in raster graphics makes the drawing part superior to vector graphics? In other words, whats the specific reason that you can't do all of those things in vector graphics? What kind of limitations do vector graphics have? Thanks for your reply!
Nowadays there is vector based software available that can produce more organic looking lines and structures but the problem is that this is achieved at the cost of increasing filesizes and complexity.
So its at the cost of some of the main "vector" advantages.

Also the process of drawing in TVPaint is very responsive and fast,
i know of no vectorbased software that comes even close to this directness and speed,
and this is a very (if not most) important point for us drawing animators.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

SumGuy12314 wrote:And another question, if vector based programs have so much more benefits, than why even create raster graphics?
Tell me how you would do photo retouching with a vector tool? You can't... you need to manipulate the pixels directly.
Last edited by idragosani on 21 Sep 2013, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

But specifically WHAT in raster graphics makes the drawing part superior to vector graphics?
This is like to ask "why draw on paper, the computer does it faster and cleaner!" People who say this are either very young, or have a very narrow mindset.

It's not superior, it's different. Have you ever been in a museum, or at least in the art department of your local library? Have you really observed the different styles and materials? Have you ever experienced the subtlety of a pen or pencil line on paper? I can do a lot in vector animation, lots of different looks, but all of them will still be just 1% of what's really possible in animation or drawing.

So dawing in TVPaint is about sensibility. A vector line is never really what I draw, it's an approximation, it's an optimisation to a result the software thinks I wanted to get.

And don't forget that a classically trained animator is used to drawing on paper. Because we can draw everything, we're not restricted in any way in what we want to animate. No "this isn't possible in this software". Only our own ability defines the borders.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Gochris1 wrote:I think Flash-based, Toon Boom vector cartoons look pretty much the same.

But TVP gives you a chance at making something look unique.

Agreed. I was going to suggest to SumGuy that he just look at the animation and illustration work posted in the TVPaint Gallery (and the Made With TVPaint section of the forum) and then compare those to projects made with vector apps. I'm not saying that vector art is "bad" , sometimes that look is appropriate for the project , and if someone is not interested in doing hand drawn frame-by-frame animation then it makes sense to use the "rigged puppet" approach in a vector app , but it's not the same kind of animation. It depends on the look you are trying to achieve .
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Kids today.. ;-)
Soom

Post by Soom »

And why the #$%^&*@ there is no 3D in TVPaint? Who needs drawing these days?! And you should supply a cat also, to think instead of me. Jeeeeeee. Where did education go these days?
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Soom wrote:And why the #$%^&*@ there is no 3D in TVPaint? Who needs drawing these days?! And you should supply a cat also, to think instead of me. Jeeeeeee. Where did education go these days?
I'd be happy if it dispensed beer for me also, save me a trip to the basement.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I for one am more than happy with what it does already: namely, render my stuff much more reliably and faster that AS. You'll know what I mean when I present you my latest project, possibly tomorrow.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Soom wrote:And why the #$%^&*@ there is no 3D in TVPaint? Who needs drawing these days?! And you should supply a cat also, to think instead of me. Jeeeeeee. Where did education go these days?
Sometimes, forums miss a "I like" button.
:mrgreen: