Alpha Difference

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
meslin

Alpha Difference

Post by meslin »

David,

I think Niels sufficiently demonstrated with the original Plastic Animation Paper software that he knows how to make a clean interface and produce nice line qualities (unlike Flipbook or Pencil). I don't have the vaporware-fear that you are insinuating.

One thing that about the Plastic Animation Paper line that I've always liked is the lack of what I call "buildup scratchies." A single line of dynamic opacity seems to follow rules similar to the Alpha Difference blend mode - except Alpha Difference only seems to work between strokes.

I submit two images for demonstration purposes and I would love it if anyone can help me get the "no buildup scratchies" line quality in TVP.
In the Plastic Animation Paper image, I show that the opacity does not multiply on itself, and you can see the nice, low-contrast (low boil in animation) result.

In the TVP example, perhaps I should have used a hard, circular airbrush for better comparison...but I used a version of Mark Chong's lovely Natural Sketch brush, which behaves exactly as I would hope across strokes, but within a stroke, it builds up. Even just drawing a strong angle (so that the dab crosses onto itself) creates an unsightly, unnatural looking buildup, which is a 'signature' in an animation context.

I don't mean to offend anyone or take a side, and I do think that there is a place for both pieces of software to coexist in a pipeline.

Thoughts?

David
Attachments
TVP
TVP
Plastic Animation Paper
Plastic Animation Paper
nobuildupscratchies.png (44.19 KiB) Viewed 30192 times
schwarzgrau

Re: Animation Paper Software

Post by schwarzgrau »

Have you tried turning on and off "Drying" in the brush settings?
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

meslin wrote:David,

I think Niels sufficiently demonstrated with the original Plastic Animation Paper software that he knows how to make a clean interface and produce nice line qualities (unlike Flipbook or Pencil). I don't have the vaporware-fear that you are insinuating.

I didn't mean to imply that it is vaporware . I believe he will produce this software . What I'm saying is that it doesn't exist yet. Unless you know something I don't then I would say the screenshots of the GUI on the website are mock-ups of what it's intended to look like .
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

D.T. Nethery wrote:
meslin wrote:David,

I didn't mean to imply that it is vaporware . I believe he will produce this software . What I'm saying is that it doesn't exist yet. Unless you know something I don't then I would say the screenshots of the GUI on the website are mock-ups of what it's intended to look like .
Yeah, it doesn't exist yet, so it is vaporware right now. He is trying to get investors to finance the development (according to the website), based on how many "early bird" adopters he can get signed up. I am surprised he is not going the crowdfunding route, at least to get initial development going.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

David Meslin wrote:I submit two images for demonstration purposes and I would love it if anyone can help me get the "no buildup scratchies" line quality in TVP.
Super easy :
Try the "alpha max" setting in the custombrush panel.
It has been here since 4~5 years, specially created to answer Hisko needs for his film Junkyard. (http://vimeo.com/84024649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Attachments
AlphaStampMax.jpg
AlphaStampMax.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 30176 times
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

btw David,

Please let me know the shape of your brush and I will build the tool for you with a small tutorial. :D
Fabrice Debarge
meslin

Post by meslin »

Fabrice,

I see - alpha max stamp with variable opacity pretty much does it.

But after playing for a minute - i see that, even with drying turned off, if I change tools or images, and go back to it, it builds on top of the image...
(Edit - have to set to Alpha Difference mode also...).

Is it possible to get the pencil brush variants (like lemec's "NaturalSketch") to behave like this?

Thanks,
David
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

(Edit - have to set to Alpha Difference mode also...).
Yes, I forgot to mention it.
Is it possible to get the pencil brush variants (like lemec's "NaturalSketch") to behave like this?
I need to check, but tomorrow. :)
Fabrice Debarge
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

A little off-topic:
meslin wrote: (Edit - have to set to Alpha Difference mode also...).
Where can I find this 'Alpha Difference' setting?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Re: Alpha Difference

Post by Elodie »

I split the topic, as it didn't really have to do with PAP ;)

Alpha diff can be chosen in the drawing modes :
no alpha diff on the left | alpha diff on the right
no alpha diff on the left | alpha diff on the right
This feature was asked by Hisko Hulsing (If I remember well) many years ago :)
(2008 ?)
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Okay.
Thanks, Elodie.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

you're welcome :)
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi there,

Here is a panel with 2 tools I did quickly.

Btw, we are all wrong, it's an old stamp mode from Aura days (old C++ code which was written before 2000), but reworked a little bit for Hisko's Junkyard.
David_Meslin_Panel.tvpx
(240 KiB) Downloaded 1128 times
Panel.png
Panel.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 30106 times
000.png

Please give me a link to download lemec's "NaturalSketch", it sounds like it's not in the "content sharing" section.
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote: Please give me a link to download lemec's "NaturalSketch", it sounds like it's not in the "content sharing" section.
I think this is the brush he's referring to:

http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php? ... 491#p19498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

meslin

Post by meslin »

Fabrice, thanks for naming a panel after me!

David, thanks for posting that link -- yes, that's the brush. I wonder why the attachment name ("naturalSketch.tvpx") doesn't show up in search results...I think the key to the naturalSketch brush's appeal is the pencil brush's noise algorithm, which I haven't been able to replicate with a custom animbrush stamp set or paper texture.

David