Surface Pro 3 Issues.

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Benjamin Sanders

Surface Pro 3 Issues.

Post by Benjamin Sanders »

Hello,

I'm trying to delve into using a Surface Pro 3 with TVPaint for storyboards (and more in future perhaps), which is working reasonably well, but I'm wondering if there's any solutions to some niggles I'm having.

First and probably most irritating niggle is getting stray pen marks caused by my hand touching the screen first before the pen is in the right hovering zone. Is there a way to have tvpaint disable touch on the drawing canvas (which photoshop seems to do) or is there some other solution that might help? If not then maybe there's something to consider in future updates.

The other niggle is the resolution of the Surface Pro 3 is very high, and tvpaint seems to scale to be a bit blurred, which on the drawing canvas can start to get to your eyes after a while. Is there a windows setting I can change to improve this?

Thanks for any assistance!
Mads Juul

Re: Surface Pro 3 Issues.

Post by Mads Juul »

Maybe this is a trick that can help, but I dont know if it works on Surface pro 3

Does TVpaint see your fingers as another tool than you stylus?

Then remove the stylus from the tablet and with your fingers set the tool properties to something that does not leave a mark. and then put back stylus.
then Your hand should leave no mark.

Again I don't know if this works. Just a thought

Else would an option where your hand and fingers can't draw on the canvas be a nice feature
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
furushil

Post by furushil »

Hello Benjamin,

I saw this a while ago on Wayne Unten's tumblr:
http://animatingforfun.tumblr.com/post/ ... ocking-fee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The palm rejection prevents your palm from accidentally drawing when the stylus is hovering over the screen, however because the SP3 N-trig screen doesn’t detect the pen hovering until it is about 1/2” above the screen, palm rejection often fails. (The SP2’s Wacom screen detects the pen about 1” above the screen)

Workaround: If you uncheck “WinTab” in the TV Paint preferences, touch acts as a 2nd device input, separate from using your pen. Using my finger I then assign “touch” to the smear brush, so when my palm touches the screen it only smears instead of accidentally draws. But unlike real life, I can set the smear power and opacity to 1%, which does nothing and fakes palm rejection.

(I think it is similar to what Mads said) maybe this also helps..
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
Benjamin Sanders

It sees my hand as the same tool unfortunately. So yeah a way of disabling hand/finger drawing on the canvas would be ideal. It's not the end of the world as you just need to remember to have the pen touching before you rest your hand down, but when you're in the flow of drawing it can be easy to forget and end up with random pen marks!

A little toggle switch to turn on or off finger painting would be lovely, but I've no idea how easy something like that is to implement. Does the android version of TVPaint have the same issue with touch screens?

EDIT:

Ah ha! Sorry furushil I was posting at the same time, it seems unchecking wintab does allow me to set a second tool for the finger. Now to see what the best option for that tool is, but this is already a big help! While on those settings does anyone know if I should have sub pixel on or off for the Surface Pro 3?
Last edited by Benjamin Sanders on 13 Nov 2014, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Surface Pro 3 (N-Trig technology) and Wacom Android Tablets uses different hardware so the touch and stylus management is not the same.

You can try to go in Edit > Preferences and change between "Wintab" and "Ink = Wintab unchecked". It might give better results.
Fabrice Debarge
Benjamin Sanders

Thanks Fabrice, just seen these posts! This does seem to help let me set finger as a second tool.

Should I use sub pixel or not?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

without "Wintab" activated, the option doesn't change anything.
when using "Wintab", the quality of the lines is better when subpixel is used.
Fabrice Debarge