Sound out of sync

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

Sound out of sync

Post by David_Fine »

I'm slowly scratching over the sound in the timeline and I can hear the sound perhaps 2 or 3 frames earlier than I see the waveform. The playback is clearly earlier than the waveform shows. How is this possible? It makes sound breakdown totally unreliable? Do I refer to the sound I hear or the audio waveform? What is going on? (I am using 11.02 on a Mac). Is anyone else getting this problem?
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Animark

Re: Sound out of sync

Post by Animark »

Hi David,

there have been some issues with sound discussed in the past here.
(http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5039)
Personally I never had problems.

I suggest to do the following and see if something changes:
- Set the sample rate of sound in the TVPaint preferences to the same sample rate (for example to 48KHZ) of the imported sound (and import the sound again ???).
- Try another sound format (for example .wav / .aif instead of MP3) and import the sound again.
- Convert your sound to mono (if it is stereo).
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Thanks, but none of this solves the problem. My files are 48 kHz and TVPaint is set to 48 kHz. They are mono. The other thread refers to a different kind of problem. I don't know how I can work with TVPaint when the sound is not in sync, so this is a very urgent problem. I hope I can get some feedback from the TVP staff as I need this fixed urgently! And this is on top of the other known issues with sound in TVPaint playing with audible clicks, repeating at the end... When will these sound problems be resolved? Is it only on Macs?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Have you checked your Output format in Audio Midi Setup (Utilities) ?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

just check this : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it should help (at least, it solved almost all the sound sync problems on Mac).
Fabrice Debarge
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

We are mixing up two very different issues here. These other threads refer to a speed issue, which is related to mismatched output. That's not my problem. First of all, everything is set at 48 kHz, including my midi output. The audio is not sped up at all. It sounds perfect. What is happening is that as I scratch over the waveform in TVPaint, I hear the audio about 1.5 or 2 frames before the wave form is seen visually. So for a sharp sound, the cursor is visible before the waveform, but I can hear it already, so it is playing the audio too early, or the waveform is represented too late. Who is too know? There are also the other audio issues which have been reported elsewhere: glitches, repeat audio... They still persist, but this problem with sync, well, it's huge. I am very frustrated.

P.S. This issue is happening here on two separate Mac computers, one using 11 and the other using 10.5.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

P.S. This issue is happening here on two separate Mac computers, one using 11 and the other using 10.5.
32 bit ? 64 bit ?

What are the OS version ?

Can you share the soundtrack you use with us ?
Fabrice Debarge
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I would never do my final sync in an animation program - that's what my video editor is for. Scrubbing sound is good enough to place phonemes and draw mouth shapes. The final sync includes shifting sound tracks so they fit better to the mouth action. They nearly never end at the exact mouth position, but some time before.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Both 64 bit. I am on El Capitan, but it was happening on Yosemite before that.

As far as not relying on TVPaint for sync, with respect, that makes no sense at all to me. Breaking down lip sync to animate to is a fundamental part of what we do. It has to be absolutely frame accurate or my animation is totally messed up and no editor can fix it later without actually changing the intent and timing of the animation. I know it's small, being about 2 frames, but it should not be small. It should be absolutely dead accurate. Are you saying that this behaviour is what you see all the time and you just go with it anyway? I really would like to know if this is unique to me or not.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

David, please keep calm : our crew does feel concerned by the issues with sound which are not easy to fix . But being rude won't make us work faster...
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Sorry Elodie, I don't see where I am being at all rude, but I apologize if it is somehow coming off that way. I think I am justifiably very concerned about a software problem which is impacting my work in a serious way. Scenes I have already finished have some sync issues and now I can see why this is happening. This problem is not insignificant to me and I have not had any acknowledgement that the problem even exists, so I am very confused and frustrated.

Here is a video which illustrates the issue, in case that helps. https://www.dropbox.com/s/citzyd26js566 ... g.m4v?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
furushil

Post by furushil »

David_Fine wrote:Here is a video which illustrates the issue, in case that helps.
It is the same on my computer and it was also like this in TVPaint 10.
I don't think that the sound is out of sync, the waveform is just not displayed "correctly".
When I play my exported file in quicktime, the animation and the sound is not out of sync, so I would say you have to rely on the sound and not the waveform.

I also just checked my audio file with Adobe Audition where the waveform is displayed more precisely. When I compared the audio in Audition with the audio in TVPaint the sound accents were on the same frame. This again shows that the sound is in sync but the waveform is displayed two frames too late.
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Both 64 bit. I am on El Capitan, but it was happening on Yosemite before that.
Can you see if the issue also happens with the 32 bits version ?
As explained many times, the sound is managed in a different way in both versions (and it may help to know what is the issue)
David, please keep calm : our crew does feel concerned by the issues with sound which are not easy to fix . But being rude won't make us work faster...
+1 : we are working on all the problem related to quicktime libraries, sound, etc. but it's unfortunately taking a lot of time.
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

AAH ! It's because of Scrub Duration !!

Edit > Preference > sound > scrub duration and lower it at 0,02 sc

Actually, it makes no sens to split a sound in images : the scrub duration allows you to hear a part of the sound when you scrub. The higher this value is, the more you will have a step between what you see and what you hear.