Control bar gone! Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

Control bar gone!

Post by David_Fine »

I have had this issue before, but I can't figure out how to fix it this time. In a previous discussion about this, I was told that to get the control bar back (the bar with play, stop, rotate canvas, etc...) I should select View/Windows. I have done that, but the bar is still not displayed. Without it, I can't even work, so I am stuck. Restarting TVPaint does not restore it. I wish I knew why it disappears, but most importantly, how to get it back! It happened when I switched from one display room to another and then back. I am on a Mac. HELP!!!
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
slowtiger

Re: Control bar gone!

Post by slowtiger »

Press V. Press 0 (zero).
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Zero makes the timeline disappear and reappear, but V does nothing. Still don't have the control bar.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

V is (is it?) the default shortcut for full screen/windows toggle. See in views menu.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Okay, I just discovered the fix. There is a little arrow pointing down on the top right corner and if you click on it, the control bar appears and disappears. So this little button must have got touched somehow and yet, there is no menu option for this under view. It's a secret little button that has a name if you hover over it, which is "hide user interface", which could actually mean many things, but mostly, does not suggest what I call the control bar.

Request: Please put any and all view options in the view menu so that they are all in one place. Also, "user interface" is not really what that is. User Interface is what TVPaint calls the design of the application, the colours of icons and such, so why call this the same thing? It's really confusing. A better name would be "control bar, because that's what it is.

While we are on the subject of UI, it would be great if I could hit one key and make all the panels disappear. As discussed elsewhere, F12 does it on the PC, but not on the Mac. Hopefully that's not a big thing to fix. :) Right now I go into another room to achieve that, but it would be nicer not to do that.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hi David, thank you for your interesting feedback.

Actually, I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "control bar" ? Plus, where do you have the hover message "hide user interface" ?
David_Fine wrote:Request: Please put any and all view options in the view menu so that they are all in one place. Also, "user interface" is not really what that is. User Interface is what TVPaint calls the design of the application, the colours of icons and such, so why call this the same thing? It's really confusing. A better name would be "control bar, because that's what it is.
Indeed !
David_Fine wrote:While we are on the subject of UI, it would be great if I could hit one key and make all the panels disappear. As discussed elsewhere, F12 does it on the PC, but not on the Mac. Hopefully that's not a big thing to fix. :) Right now I go into another room to achieve that, but it would be nicer not to do that.
Huh ? F12 just hide the remote on Windows (just like on Mac, if indeed F buttons are working as standard keys, and not to use special features of MacOS).
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Elodie wrote:...

Huh ? F12 just hide the remote on Windows (just like on Mac, if indeed F buttons are working as standard keys, and not to use special features of MacOS).
No, F12 hides all floating panels (this is called: toggle windows display)
and F11 plays the current clip fullscreen. ( ...though not on a mac)
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Oh ! yes ! F12 firstly hides the remote, then it hides floating panels (the ones which are not in the drawers).

And F11 works well too on my Mac.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

What I am calling the control bar is this:
screenshot_786.jpg
screenshot_786.jpg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 37176 times
Is this what you are calling the "remote"? I suspect that this is a French/English translation issue because I don't see anything "remote" or UI about what I call the control bar. Still, we can call it the button thingy if we all know what we are talking about, but just to confirm, since TVPaint refers to it as the User Interface and you are calling it the Remote and I am calling it the Control Bar, we are all talking about the same thing, right?

So when I use F12 on the Mac, it first makes the Control Bar disappear and then, press F12 again and it makes the palettes disappear and then press f12 again and the palettes will toggle on and off, but the Control Bar remains gone. That means that for me, using F12 to toggle on and off the palettes is not usable because I also lose the very important Control Bar. is this a verified bug, or is this how it works on a PC as well? In any case, I hope this can be put on the list of fixes because it would be so useful to be able to quickly make those palettes hide and reappear.

I also don't understand how the windows sometimes, all by themselves, get messed up, layering on top of each other out of alignment with the timeline and the rest of the windows. It seems to happen sometimes when I switch to another room and back again. Everything gets messed up and I have to move and adjust the window back into place. If it happens again I will post a screen grab so you can see what it looks like.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

David_Fine wrote:Is this what you are calling the "remote"? I suspect that this is a French/English translation issue because I don't see anything "remote" or UI about what I call the control bar. Still, we can call it the button thingy if we all know what we are talking about, but just to confirm, since TVPaint refers to it as the User Interface and you are calling it the Remote and I am calling it the Control Bar, we are all talking about the same thing, right?
What a jam ! :mrgreen:

But where have you seen it was named "User interface" ?

--
So when I use F12 on the Mac, it first makes the Control Bar disappear and then, press F12 again and it makes the palettes disappear and then press f12 again and the palettes will toggle on and off, but the Control Bar remains gone. That means that for me, using F12 to toggle on and off the palettes is not usable because I also lose the very important Control Bar. is this a verified bug, or is this how it works on a PC as well? In any case, I hope this can be put on the list of fixes because it would be so useful to be able to quickly make those palettes hide and reappear.

Well, it is not really a bug... this is... quite old function that did not follow the evolution of the interface (there was a time, a long, long time ago, drawers did not exist and hitting F12 just hide everything but the drawing space)
I also don't understand how the windows sometimes, all by themselves, get messed up, layering on top of each other out of alignment with the timeline and the rest of the windows. It seems to happen sometimes when I switch to another room and back again. Everything gets messed up and I have to move and adjust the window back into place. If it happens again I will post a screen grab so you can see what it looks like.
It's related to what I explained above. Before TVPaint 9, drawers and "project tab" at the top did not exist and all drawing spaces were floating. Now, it's kind of mix of new features (drawers and tabs) and old behaviours. We are aware of this, but this is damnly complicated to fix this, without taking the risk to destroy the rest.

Do you remember my metaphor about changing rusted pipes and tubes in an old house ? We are in the same problem here : we must blast the old house and re-build it.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

I do understand what you mean. I see it's not a bug, but the effect is that on the Mac, I have no way to simply hide the palettes. Is this fixable at all? Is there a script or work around which might do this? I currently switch to a different room, but, as I say, that generates unexpected behaviour when I switch back.
screenshot_788.jpg
screenshot_788.jpg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 37169 times
When you hover over this little triangle, it says "Hide User Interface". Clicking on that triangle hides what I call the Control Panel and you call the Remote.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

David_Fine wrote:I have no way to simply hide the palettes. Is this fixable at all? Is there a script or work around which might do this? I currently switch to a different room, but, as I say, that generates unexpected behaviour when I switch back.
You can with F12 and floating panels only (not placed in drawers), but you'll have to hide "control bar / remote" to enjoy this mode.

( but if you need a remote / control bar, you will have the same features by clicking on the "remote" icon, at the top : and this panel will toggle on / off when hitting F12)
David_Fine wrote:When you hover over this little triangle, it says "Hide User Interface". Clicking on that triangle hides what I call the Control Panel and you call the Remote.
Oh god ! Thanks. Let's rename it !
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

The desire is to quickly switch on and off the panels (sorry, I called them palettes), so if I have to do extra steps to switch the "control bar" back on, it defeats the purpose. Also, when the control panel disappears, the triangle at the top disappears as well, so I have to go up to the menu to switch from full screen to windows. Why does F12 hide the control bar on a Mac, but not a PC? (As I am told). I wonder if there is any kind of workaround to achieve this. Can a script be written which specifically hides the panels only? Or hides them and then quickly changes from Full Screen to Windows? I still don't really understand why F12 does this on a Mac.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

F12 is working in the same way on both OS. I did the test on Léo's computer 2 days ago. Or did I see what I wanted (I'm not even sure of what I saw :lol: ) ? Léo, could you confirm ?
Léo
Site Admin

Post by Léo »

I can confirm that F12 is hidding the "control bar / remote" and then the floating panels on Windows (so the behaviour is the same on Mac and Windows)
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3