basic flipping instances bug

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
skomdra

basic flipping instances bug

Post by skomdra »

Hi, I am afraid that flipping doesn't work as it suppose to, which kind of sucks, since this was the feature I was looking forward most from the new features introduced in TVP 11.

My flip settings:
Type: basic
Limits: layer
Checkpoints: instances
Out of Pegs: checked
Flips/sec: 6

Not displaying the next drawing problem
Before I describe what is happening, let me define some terms - current drawing = the one I am drawing. Previous drawing = an instance previous the current drawing. Next drawing = an instance after the current drawing in the layer.
What is happening? Simple - when there are only three instances in layer, the flip is not showing the next drawing. It shows only the previous and the current drawing. I see clearly that the playhead drives over the next drawing, but it doesn't show the picture (more precise - it shows picture from the current drawing) I tried to change frame-rate or uncheck Out of Pegs, or play with limits. No result. Quite opposite, when I un-tick "Out of Pegs" the playhead slides only over the previous drawing and the current one. So, it is obvious to me that something wrong is happening here and I would like some answer.

Not quite a solution
Not to forget to mention, I found some sort of solution. I noticed that problem happens with three instances in the layer, so I added one at the end, and now it works, but now it becomes annoying that it will always either flash the empty instance or some drawing which is on the fourth instance.

Confusing: custom limits are not reflecting a choice of Checkpoint
Not to forget, the usage of custom limits are confusing. If I chose custom limit, I would expect (since I decided the checkpoints to be instances) that number represents in limits are the actual number of instances previous and after the current drawing, but here this is not the case. To be even more clear here - I would expect that if I write number 1 in Limit left and Limit right that flip shows exactly that: one previous and one next instance. I don't know if I would call it bug, in this case, or simply illogical UX.

Thank you :)
-----
TV Paint 11.5.3 Windows 10
Elodie

Re: basic flipping instances bug

Post by Elodie »

I confirm the issue on Mac !
Now, tests must be done on other OS.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Elodie wrote:I confirm the issue on Mac !
Now, tests must be done on other OS.
No problem on Windows.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

OH ! and just discovered something weird : if I am on instance 2 and I flip without moving my mouse, it flips only 1st and 2nd instance. If I move the mouse while flipping, it flips the 3rd instance as well :shock:

Can you check on your side Skomdra ?
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

Elodie wrote: Can you check on your side Skomdra ?
I confirm the mouse movement does that, not very consistently but sometimes 3rd instance shows as well.
-----
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Ok, so the bug is confirmed on Mac OSX. Thank you !
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

Elodie wrote:Ok, so the bug is confirmed on Mac OSX. Thank you !
Welcome :) . Just wonder, are the settings in the custom limits also part of the bug or the limits are always set in frames, regardless the checkpoints? (even on Windows?)
-----
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

it's set in frames, regardless the checkpoints, so this one is not a bug :)
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

Elodie wrote:it's set in frames, regardless the checkpoints, so this one is not a bug :)
Good to know! :)
-----
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

I made a request here about being able to set the limits to frames
http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9597
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

Mads Juul wrote:I made a request here about being able to set the limits to frames
http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9597
It kind off misses the point of the tool otherwise, imho :)
-----
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

Thank you for the new 11.0.3 version. The flipping bug is not resolved yet. Please, put it on the list.
Thank you!
-----
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

ok, there is a work around for anyone using Mac. On the right image you make two marks in one instance (for that reason of course instance should be at least two frames exposed) then it acts as it suppose to, if you chose Image Marks as Checkpoints. Little pain in the ... but it works. :)
-----
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

skomdra wrote: 24 Mar 2016, 19:10 ok, there is a work around for anyone using Mac. On the right image you make two marks in one instance (for that reason of course instance should be at least two frames exposed) then it acts as it suppose to, if you chose Image Marks as Checkpoints. Little pain in the ... but it works. :)
Hi, have you noticed any difference with the newer versions of TVPaint ?

So far, testing with the latest version 11.5.1 we could not reproduce the behaviour you describe.
Or else if this bug still happens: could you please show us how to reproduce it, with a screen recording ? thanks :wink:
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

hello ? someone ?