Pen cursor problem (changing to an arrow)

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Elodie

Re: Pen cursor problem in 11.03

Post by Elodie »

Yes, I noticed that too.

I installed Photoshop yesterday and let it run with TVPaint : and I notice that indeed, the crosshair cursor sometimes is turned into Mac OS arrow, but like for notification, I can get rid of it if I select another tool (or just hover it, as Dan said). Only once, I had it stuck as an arrow and I could not even paint with TVPaint using my Wacom : I had no trouble with my mouse, but I could neither paint nor click somewhere with my stylus... Could not reproduce it at the moment.

Is anyone using Sierra (10.11) here ?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

update :
We noticed that when MacOS is making a notification (sometimes a hidden one that can not be seen by the user), the cursor turns back to an arrow.
We don't know yet how to fix it, since it happen also on our C++ compilers and various other software such as textedit...
Maybe there is something in the Apple framework to avoid it, maybe not. So we will keep investigating.

It happen on MacOS Sierra for sure, we didn't test all the previous OS.
Fabrice Debarge
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I've opened TVPaint 11.06 in El Capitan (with a cross as cursor) and forced a notification, but the cursor didn't change to the regular OS X cursor. I don't know if this is some kind of proof, I just want to report it.
Unfortunately I'm nevertheless one of the people with this cursor problem. Yesterday it switched to the OS X cursor. I had itunes, djv and kuadro running, but turned off the notifications from itunes (I listened to a long podcast anyway, so I don't think it has something to do with the notifications in my case)
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Thanks for the input. Any help is welcome.

In fact, I probably wasn't clear enough :
There are various type of notifications/event in the system, not all of them are visible, not all of them are of the same kind/type. Sometimes they take the control over the cursor, sometimes not.
That's why Jérémy has difficulties to catch the issue (admitting it's possible to catch and fix, since it happen in many other software too + Apple doesn't like you to understand how things works within MacOS).
Fabrice Debarge
David_Fine

Pointer changing to arrow

Post by David_Fine »

My pen pointer, a dot, keeps changing to a big fat arrow out of the blue, which I can't use to draw with. I can fix it by quickly touching the timeline, which seems to refresh the pointer, but it happens very often so really interrupts my flow. I am using 11.0.8 on Mac with Mojave, but also happening on High Sierra. Anyone know how to fix this?
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Peter Wassink

Re: Pointer changing to arrow

Post by Peter Wassink »

All i know is that you can set the cursorshape within tvpaint in the preferences under 'interface' .

i haven't heard about it changing automaticly, so that might be a mac setting?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I have that often in v10. Didn't know it persisted in v11.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hi David, which tablet model and which version of its driver are you using, please ?
Probably a vampire
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

I have a Cintiq 21UX v2. I have the very latest Wacom driver as I just reinstalled it a few days ago.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
daninski

Post by daninski »

I get this. It happens every time there's a notification somewhere in OSX I have to set the computer to 'do not disturb' in the notifications centre to stop it happening.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

The cause is definitely notifications. Sadly, we currently don't have a way to control them, so the only solution is setting Do Not Disturb up to be active during your work hours.
Probably a vampire
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Okay, it just happened, I looked over to the top corner and indeed, there was a notification, so yes, I will turn them off. Thank you. Please let us know if this ever gets corrected.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Harlock

Cursor switches to an arrow after display toggle

Post by Harlock »

Hello Everyone,

I’m reaching out to see if someone can help with with this problem.

Very often (1 out of 3/4 times) when I toggle between the Cintiq (which I have set as my main monitor/Desktop) and the other Display (the iMac), when I toggle back to the Cintiq the Stylus dot switches to an arrow and (the worst part) TVPaint freezes like for maybe 20-30 seconds….after that everything gets back to normal and I can keep using the program as usual. I don’t need to tell you how annoying this is, that’s why I avoid as much as I can to toggle between displays and have always my laptop next to me in case I have to check something. Maybe I should mention that I do the toggle using the on screen controls of the Cintiq (Radial Menu).

On a side note, I have another issue which I think it might be related. Recently, I’ve set some tools on the Radial menu (pencil, tint blue, magic blue eraser). If I use the radial menu to select the tint blue and then select the pencil back, the cursor also switches to an arrow (almost every time) and it stays like that unless I click anywhere outside the drawing space, like in the grey border of the panels

The Cintiq Drivers are up to date and Im using the OS High Sierra but this also happened with the previous OS versions. I should also say that this happens even I’m not using iTunes or Youtube on the back, like it was mentioned in the “pen cursor problem”: (http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?t=9839#p91460)

By the way, I tried to record a video to show you better this issues but weirdly enough, the arrow won’t show on them.

Any help to solve or explain this (for me at least) inexplicable behaviour will be appreciated.
TVP 11 Pro (11.0.8-64 bits), MacOS 10.13.6 - Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD
Harlock

Re: Cursor switches to an arrow after display toggle

Post by Harlock »

So I'm really alone in this one? I must be beyond hope, I can't figure out this whole cursor switching to an arrow bug. At least now I don’t need to click on the side anymore, as daninski stated in the mentioned thread:
You don't even need to click on the icon, if you just move the arrow over your controls or brushes it turns back into the crosshair”.
The issue with TVPaint freezing after toggle the displays still happens though.

EDIT:

I've just confirm that the "cursor switching to an arrow bug" only happens when Im using the 64-bit version...with the 32-bit version I can toggle to the Cintiq screen controls and after that the cursor remains a point (as it should be).
TVP 11 Pro (11.0.8-64 bits), MacOS 10.13.6 - Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD
schwarzgrau

Re: Cursor switches to an arrow after display toggle

Post by schwarzgrau »

No this seems to be a known bug. I got it too, but it seems the devs can't reproduce this issue. TVPaint doesn't freeze in my case, it just doesn't accept the pen, it helps to tip on the tablet/cintiq with the back of the pen.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM