Pen cursor problem (changing to an arrow)

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Harlock

Re: Cursor switches to an arrow after display toggle

Post by Harlock »

Hello Schwarzgrau, thank you for your Answer. You were right, TVPaint was’t freezing, it was just the Stylus which wouldn’t respond. As you said, if I tip the Cintiq with the back of the pen, that brings the cursor back. It is still annoying when it happens, but is indeed much better than waiting 20 to 30 seconds until the pencil works again by itself, so thank you for pointing that out to me!

Just out of curiosity: Do you also have the other bug with unwanted straight lines at the beginning of strokes?
TVP 11 Pro (11.0.8-64 bits), MacOS 10.13.6 - Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Unfortunately not. Or not as far as I know.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

You should be happy for not having that :D
TVP 11 Pro (11.0.8-64 bits), MacOS 10.13.6 - Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD
theo1231231

Re: Pointer changing to arrow

Post by theo1231231 »

I've been checking out the Arron Blaise tutorials, this happens to him too but he doesn't seem to notice it at all, maybe he's made his peace with it or maybe the problem is just beneath him. Anyway thanks for the answer :P
Soom

Post by Soom »

Same problem here - it's an old issue unfortunately on Macs, but over time I somehow god used to it - I usually quickly move the cursor to any TVP panel and this fixes it (no need to click). putting Do Not Disturb ON is a kind of workaround too, unless you actually need those notifications...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Soom

Post by Soom »

OK, I would just like to confirm, that this issue has become unbearable - it increased after I switched to High Sierra, and now the pointer turns to arrow not just on notifications, but completely at random and very often. This behavior is NOT supposed to happen no matter what.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I have Do Not Disturb set on Notifications , but this issue persists. No matter what I set it to in Preferences my cursor randomly turns into an arrow. (in Preferences I can't even get the option "circle" to show up . If I set it to circle it still shows up as an arrow.)

Over time I got tired of fighting with it , so I left the cursor set to Arrow in Preferences, but I realized I would prefer to have it set as a dot because the arrow is awkward to use for some delicate clean-up work I'm doing.

Is there any progress on fixing this issue ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Soom

Post by Soom »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 18:45 I have Do Not Disturb set on Notifications , but this issue persists. No matter what I set it to in Preferences my cursor randomly turns into an arrow. (in Preferences I can't even get the option "circle" to show up . If I set it to circle it still shows up as an arrow.)

Over time I got tired of fighting with it , so I left the cursor set to Arrow in Preferences, but I realized I would prefer to have it set as a dot because the arrow is awkward to use for some delicate clean-up work I'm doing.

same here. I found that restarting TVPaint helps for a while, but this is still veeeery frustrating...
BeniMorard

Re: Pen cursor problem in 11.03

Post by BeniMorard »

Was there ever a Fix for this issue?

It is 2019 and I still have the same Problem.
Working in Version TVPaint 11 Pro on a Late 2013 iMac running macOS Catalina Vaersion 10.15.1

The Cross "randomly" switches to Arrow an stays that way. Only way to change it back is to switch to another Software and back to TVPaint.
As others have mentioned before, the switches are probably connected to notifications or other smal push in the background in other software as Spotify or Youtube in a browser that makes the curser "think" I am in another software and then does not switch back.
BeniMorard

Post by BeniMorard »

Got a similar issue.

Cross switches to Arrow and stays like that. Only way to switch back is a quick Cmd + Tab to change software, and then come back to TVP.
Also sometimes, if I was using another Software, TVPaint does NOT react to any clicks with the Pen. Then I have to klick with my mouse somewhere OR turn the Pen over and "use" the eraser quickly to make it work again.

It's such a smal bug that I never bothered to report it. Actually I always thought: Meh it's gonna be gone in the next update of either macOS, Wacome or TVPaint.But now I see in the other Thred that this Problem is here since before 2016 and there was enver postet anything about a fix.

Absolutely EVERYBODY in our Office with a Cintiq and iMac has had this issue as long as they can remember when using TVPaint.
So.. Can we please get a fix for that?
BeniMorard

Post by BeniMorard »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 18:45 I have Do Not Disturb set on Notifications , but this issue persists. No matter what I set it to in Preferences my cursor randomly turns into an arrow. (in Preferences I can't even get the option "circle" to show up . If I set it to circle it still shows up as an arrow.)

Same! It's getting worse in macOS catalina. Got a new 4k Cintiq just the other month, but it's still there. so it must be a problem between macOs and TvPaint. Probably due to more and more invisble operations going on in the background of the system?

It has always been a annoying little bug, but like everybody else I somehow adapted to it and always thought: Meh, they gonna fix it soon.
Well, soon is over. I would like to have a fix.
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Pen cursor problem (changing to an arrow)

Post by Thierry »

Hey there,

I've merged the topics discussing about this issue.

I am also happy to announce that we solved this bug :)
The fix will be in our next update (no ETA on that yet though).
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.