can you help me with mirage?

You got a problem with Mirage or Aura ? Tell us here.
bokken

can you help me with mirage?

Post by bokken »

i must make a character move across the screen. i know that's made by using some FX, but i dunno exactly how. all i'm getting so far is this: the character walks just on the spot, doesn't cross the screen. our teacher wants us to use mirage and not tvpaint, but it seems that both work more or less the same way. can you help me?
slowtiger

Re: can you help me with mirage?

Post by slowtiger »

What kind of teacher is that? Didn't he give any reason for his demand?

Anyway, Mirage essentially was TVPaint, years ago, when TVPaint was version 7 - now it's 10. TVP can still open Mirage files, but I don't know if that's still possible the other way round. Maybe that's your teacher's reason, you should ask him, then recommend him to upgrade.

The effect you're searching for is the Keyframer. See manual.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
bokken

Post by bokken »

thanks, i suspected it was keyframer, but anyway i havent been able to make the character cross the screen, even after having a look at that chapter in the manual. clicked on effects menu, got the L shaped thing, moved it... but to no avail. my character keeps moving on the spot (oh crap! how desperating).

any tips? maybe any videos about it somewhere?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

There is a forum here for Mirage users:

viewforum.php?f=14

There may be something in that forum about using the KeyFramer in Mirage.

You might find some of the old Mirage tutorials via the Internet Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/200512310137 ... orials.php

http://web.archive.org/web/200603142353 ... _TT_LP.php

I can only imagine that your teacher's insistence on you using Mirage (aka "TVPaint 7" ) is because your school must have Mirage licenses , but never updated to TVPaint. You should ask your school administration to update the software. Mirage is from 2005 . In terms of software age that is ancient.

However, that said , if I recall correctly , using the KeyFramer in Mirage is not much different from using the KeyFramer in TVPaint. Download the TVPaint 8.5 user manual here:

http://static.tvpaint.com/downloads/man ... manual.pdf

and use it to guide you in the use of the KeyFramer (the specific chapter is "Lesson 14: The Effects of the Motion and Paint groups " )

Of course it's covered in the Mirage User Manual , too. If your school insists that you use Mirage then they ought to supply you with the Mirage User Manual.
bokken

Post by bokken »

tried to use those links to bauhaussoftware, but they are not working. pity. but thanks for all the info anyway!

ps: it seems that our teacher will teach us how to use tvpaint later. no idea why he decided to start off with mirage.

edit: found this http://vimeo.com/2400649 and tried to do exactly what the french guy says, but still cannot do what i want. my software must be bewitched :mrgreen:
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

bokken wrote:
ps: it seems that our teacher will teach us how to use tvpaint later. no idea why he decided to start off with mirage.

Umm ... that makes no sense to me . That's like saying they're going to teach you Macromedia Flash MX 2004 first , THEN later they'll teach you how to use Adobe Flash CS6 . Why ?
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

That teacher must be a sadist... :)
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

ematecki wrote:That teacher must be a sadist... :)
masochist more likely :lol:
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

He may well be both ;)
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Henk Beumers

Post by Henk Beumers »

Hi.
The keyframer is the tool for the job.
If this for some reason does'nt work, just use the transform tool. It's in your mean panel second row on the right.
You have to find out how many pixels one step is. Just pan the first keydrawing in the "panning x" box, one step in the direction of the walk and see how many pixels the drawing shifted. Divide the number of pixels with the number of frames of the walkcycle. Then adjust every frame by hand. It's not that mutch work. If one cycle is finisched, you can copy the cycle and paste it behind or in front of the first one and move it one step so there are two steps and so on untill he's out of frame. Find out how the keyframer works later. Especially with animbrushes it works very fast.

Succes Henk.
Henk Beumers
TVP 10.05.7 pro 64 bits W7 pro 64 bits. Intel i5 2.67. Mem 16gig.