Background - Checkerboard pattern should be uniform size

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

Background - Checkerboard pattern should be uniform size

Post by D.T. Nethery »

My feature/improvement request is that when the Background is set to Check (checkerboard) that the checkerboard pattern would be a uniform size , no matter what the project resolution.

The reason I am requesting this is because I've noticed that if the project resolution is low (such as 800 x 600) , the checkerboard pattern is very distinct and easily
seen , but if the resolution of the project is higher (for example 3750 x 3150) the checkerboard pattern becomes almost invisible unless you are zoomed-in closer .

the first screenshot shows the Check background at a low-resolution (800 x 600)
lower resolution the Checkerboard_pattern_is_larger.jpg
the second screenshot shows the Check background at high-resolution (3750 x 3150)
The checkerboard pattern is barely visible at this high resolution.
higher resolution the Checkerboard pattern is barely visible.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
melanie

Re: Background - Checkerboard pattern should be uniform size

Post by melanie »

We will see how the checkerboard background can be improved according to new and bigger working resolutions. Thank you for your feedback :D
Melanie • Animator
D.T. Nethery

Re: Background - Checkerboard pattern should be uniform size

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Bumping up this request from four years ago. I understand this is not a high-priority interface improvement , but I still think it would be good to make the checkerboard display adjust the size of the checkerboard squares to the resolution of the project.

D.T. Nethery wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 18:58 My feature/improvement request is that when the Background is set to Check (checkerboard) that the checkerboard pattern would be a uniform size , no matter what the project resolution.

The reason I am requesting this is because I've noticed that if the project resolution is low (such as 800 x 600) , the checkerboard pattern is very distinct and easily
seen , but if the resolution of the project is higher (for example 3750 x 3150) the checkerboard pattern becomes almost invisible unless you are zoomed-in closer .

the first screenshot shows the Check background at a low-resolution (800 x 600)

lower resolution the Checkerboard_pattern_is_larger.jpg

(click images to view them full size)

the second screenshot shows the Check background at high-resolution (3750 x 3150)
The checkerboard pattern is barely visible at this high resolution.

higher resolution the Checkerboard pattern is barely visible.jpg

melanie wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 11:34 We will see how the checkerboard background can be improved according to new and bigger working resolutions. Thank you for your feedback :D

Another example:

This is in Photoshop. Resolution of the project is 6163 x 4622 . The checkerboard pattern is clearly visibly underneath the transparent image.
In Photoshop the checkerboard pattern stays a consistent size no matter what the pixel resolution of the project is set to.

(click on images to view full size)

Checkerboard display in PS.png

Here is the same image in TVPaint , resolution 6163 x 4622. The checkerboard pattern display is very small. It's hard on the eyes.

Checkerboard pattern display in TVPaint.png

Here is the same image downscaled to 1920 x 1440 in TVPaint. The checkerboard pattern is much more visible and comfortable to view at this size. This size of the checkerboard squares should be constant , whatever the project resolution is , from 640 x 480 to 1920 x 1440 to 4096 x 3072 to 6163 x 4622 or whatever the case may be.

Checkerboard pattern at lower resolution in TVPaint.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1