Features and Fixes Topic is solved

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
acrookedheart

Features and Fixes

Post by acrookedheart »

There are obviously going to be duplicates in what I list vs what has already been requested in this forum. So I apologize in advance.
I bet some of what I'm requesting may already exist. One of the things I was going to mention was regarding the Filled Stroke eraser and Selection tools. Then I suddenly realized the you could use right click to erase/sub :shock: :D

1. Warp Grid fix as discussed here https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 10&t=13674 with a great addition by Peter Wassink.

2. The ability to group layers into folders instead of just changing colors.
  • I imagine this is an issue for lots of other users since the timeline can get super heavy
  • I'm basically using Photoshop as a point of reference
  • And to use an example of how it would be useful. I'll have twelve layers for one animation sequence that requires them to be split. Merging is not an option. Those twelve layers take up a lot of real estate.
3. Automatically turn on Antialiasing on for selection tools when starting TVP.
  • I'm not sure why it's off by default
4. This may be a little nit picky but I would love to see the Merge Layers option added to the right click menu.
  • When you have two layers selected and right click, the options for Delete and Duplicate are there. But adding the Merge options would be a great help in streamlining workflow.
5. Color panel
  • The ability to have two windows. One for the Palette and one for the Slider. Again, maybe this is nit picky but it's annoying not to have this ability.
6. Flipping a sequence without using the FX-Distortion-Flip.
  • This is one that I think is super important. I use the Flip FX often and it's a bit of workflow pain when I constantly have to use the FX panel.
  • It would be great to have the ability to select the sequence, right click and flip.
  • Now, this may not be possible with how TVP is programmed but I would love the addition if possible.
7. Add Layer-Exposure break to the right click menu on the Timeline.

If there's a way to participate in the beta versions, please let me know.
slowtiger

Re: Features and Fixes

Post by slowtiger »

#6: Do you mean "flip image horizontally"? That's already there.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hey there,

Thanks for the suggestions!
I'll answer them one by one.
acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:161. Warp Grid fix as discussed here https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 10&t=13674 with a great addition by Peter Wassink.
We've added this in our list.
acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:162. The ability to group layers into folders instead of just changing colors.
This has been requested for a long time, it's not possible in the current v11 engine.
But this is taken into account for the future ;)
acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:163. Automatically turn on Antialiasing on for selection tools when starting TVP.
Huh, I never noticed this.
I'll add it to the list.
acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:164. This may be a little nit picky but I would love to see the Merge Layers option added to the right click menu.
  • When you have two layers selected and right click, the options for Delete and Duplicate are there. But adding the Merge options would be a great help in streamlining workflow.
Good idea!
This looks doable, we'll see what we can do.
acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:165. Color panel
  • The ability to have two windows. One for the Palette and one for the Slider. Again, maybe this is nit picky but it's annoying not to have this ability.
Also not possible in the v11 engine. This is also taken into account for the future ;)
acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:166. Flipping a sequence without using the FX-Distortion-Flip.
  • This is one that I think is super important. I use the Flip FX often and it's a bit of workflow pain when I constantly have to use the FX panel.
  • It would be great to have the ability to select the sequence, right click and flip.
  • Now, this may not be possible with how TVP is programmed but I would love the addition if possible.
I agree with slowtiger, the Flip panel we introduced in v11 can greatly help you: https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... esentation
acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:167. Add Layer-Exposure break to the right click menu on the Timeline.
Just to be sure, what would this option do? Create a new isntance at the image where you right-click?
If so, this also seems doable for me.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Thierry wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 17:03
acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:163. Automatically turn on Antialiasing on for selection tools when starting TVP.
Huh, I never noticed this.
I'll add it to the list.
in case of the cutbrush selection tools, i want to make the case for keeping anti-aliasing off.

this is no oversight or random choice but was discussed at length a long time ago.
when picking up elements of a drawing and putting them back down again in the same spot, the anti-alias leaves unwanted edges.

by leaving the anti-alias off you get very tight seamless results.
try it yourself: picking a cutbrush and then stamp in place.
with anti-alias you can see the edge
without there is no trace.

Though I can imagine some users might prefer to have it on so
as always i plead for giving the default status as an option in the settings panel.
but because this is usually to much work i plead for leaving it off in this case.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart »

Flip
I don't mean flipping back and forth.
I mean actually changing the physical direction and output of the drawings in a sequence. So I have a ball bouncing to the right on one layer. I decide that I want to change it's direction for whatever reason. I can do that using the FX-Distortion-Flip

As for the Aliasing, I didn't realize there was a reason it was decided to be kept off by default.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

"Flip image" in the image menu.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Peter Wassink wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 22:00in case of the cutbrush selection tools, i want to make the case for keeping anti-aliasing off.

this is no oversight or random choice but was discussed at length a long time ago.
when picking up elements of a drawing and putting them back down again in the same spot, the anti-alias leaves unwanted edges.

as always i plead for giving the default status as an option in the settings panel.
but because this is usually to much work i plead for leaving it off in this case.
This is fair, and I hadn't considered that.
We'll leave it at that then.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart »

thanks everyone
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Peter Wassink wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 22:00 in case of the cutbrush selection tools, i want to make the case for keeping anti-aliasing off.

Yup, I understand your point Peter. I'm not sure how to imagine this anti-aliasing default setting : would it be only for selection ? or one default anti-aliasing setting for all tools ? in this case yes, it'd be a bit of hassle to check the setting in all the tools.
Plus I'm not sure how the users would understand this setting.

Also please remind that the tool options are saved in your preferences ; so you'd have to uncheck the antialiasing option only the very first time you use a cut-brush / selection tool in a TVPaint fresh installation (or after deleting the setting folder).

In terms of user interface :
- choose the cut brush tool + disable anti-aliasing ; choose the selection tool + disable antialiasing : 4 clicks
- menu Edit->Preferences, click on the setting checkbox to enable/disable anti-aliasing by default : 3 clicks

I'm not sure about what I should do.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

acrookedheart wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 15:167. Add Layer-Exposure break to the right click menu on the Timeline.
Is it the kind of change you mean ?
TVPaint_Insert_Instance.mp4
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 601 times
acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart »

There is audio.
Basically though, what I'm looking for is shown in the menu in the recording.
I made a button that has the command as follows
Key:Layer:Exposure:Break
This makes a copy of the previous frame where ever I'm at.
While the button is efficient, placement in the right click menu would be better.
Attachments
Exposure.mp4
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 569 times
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

acrookedheart wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:54 There is audio.
Basically though, what I'm looking for is shown in the menu in the recording.
I made a button that has the command as follows
Key:Layer:Exposure:Break
This makes a copy of the previous frame where ever I'm at.
While the button is efficient, placement in the right click menu would be better.
Hi, so the menu option to do this already exists, but it is named in a counter-intuitive way : use "Image > Instances > Break Instance".

Anyway, I spent a bit of time to cleanup the exposure-related part of the timeline menu, and I added it :
Capture d’écran_2021-08-13_17-35-06.png
Capture d’écran_2021-08-13_17-35-06.png (28.1 KiB) Viewed 12771 times
acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart »

PERFECT!!!! Thank you