Better Play and Stop Shortcut Options

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Padruig

Better Play and Stop Shortcut Options

Post by Padruig »

Would it be possible to improve the shortcut for playing animation back?

Currently under the shortcut options you have to have a shortcut for play and a second shortcut for stop. (preview>play and preview>stop) It would be great if there was one shortcut to toggle both play and stop so there is only a need for one keystroke.

If this isn't possible can we change the behaviour of the play shortcut? Right now when I hit play and my animation is playing back, if I hit the play shortcut again TVPaint will insert a bookmark wherever the play head is while it is playing back. I often create random bookmarks that I do not want.

I am currently using TVPaint Pro 11.0.10. I am aware of the 11.5 upgrade but had to rollback because of some of the initial problems. I think they are mostly fixed by now, but I am going to wait until I am finished with my rough animation stage before I try upgrading again in 4-6 weeks.

Thanks!

MacOS Catalina (10.15.7) 27"iMac, 16GB memory
Svengali

Re: Better Play and Stop Shortcut Options

Post by Svengali »

Try this button/script called FlipFrames.
FlipFrames.png
FlipFrames.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 14961 times
What it does: Toggles between flipping through ALL frames of the current layer until you toggle again, returning to the original current frame. IF only part of the layer is marked It should flip only the marked frames.
When/if you try it, let me know if it works for you, thanks.

Set a shortcut key to FlipFrames/FlipFrames.

sven
Attachments
FlipFrames.tvpx
(88.5 KiB) Downloaded 811 times
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Padruig

Post by Padruig »

Thanks for this Svengali. Unfortunately, isn't quite working. It works perfectly as a button to click and then to click to stop the playback. The trouble seems to come in when I assign it as a shortcut. The shortcut will start the playback but when I hit the same shortcut to stop playback, it won't stop playback but a bookmark will appear every time I hit the shortcut. It is the same behaviour I see with the preview>play command in the shortcut menu.

I find it strange that it works fine as a button but not when you assign a shortcut key to it.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Curious. It works for me, but I am running windows 8.1. Maybe one of the TVPaint coders could explain the reason for the differing results in differing OS?

Something to change: edit line one in the action button to read: Key:Preview:Play From Current Image and Return to Current Image (replacing Key : Preview: Play and Return to Current Image)
No reason this alternative shortcut should fix it, but can't hurt to try.

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Padruig

Post by Padruig »

That is interesting. Oh well, like you say, it gives an area for the coders to look into.

I tried editing that line like you suggested. It made the button inoperable altogether. It may be that I did something incorrectly. Not sure, I can't figure it out.

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate your help.
condepablo

Post by condepablo »

This is useful. I would like to get back the "w" action on tvpaint 10. Is there any way to make a script to flip X ammount of frames (using the current frame as the middle). I mean, 10 frames would flip 5 frames pre and 5 frames post the current one.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

condepablo wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 01:42 This is useful. I would like to get back the "w" action on tvpaint 10. Is there any way to make a script to flip X ammount of frames (using the current frame as the middle). I mean, 10 frames would flip 5 frames pre and 5 frames post the current one.
you can set a limit using marks (in/out marks, bookmarks or image marks)

but i agree it would be nice if you could choose to have it go one direction in time instead of always ping-pong.

Also, in 'flip manually' mode i'd like the option to let the cursor jump back after releasing the [W].
now when you stop it slowly crawls back, while displaying the remaining frames.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

Peter Wassink wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 23:13 Also, in 'flip manually' mode i'd like the option to let the cursor jump back after releasing the [W].
now when you stop it slowly crawls back, while displaying the remaining frames.

I would love to have this as well. +1
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Padruig wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 22:26 Would it be possible to improve the shortcut for playing animation back?

Currently under the shortcut options you have to have a shortcut for play and a second shortcut for stop. (preview>play and preview>stop) It would be great if there was one shortcut to toggle both play and stop so there is only a need for one keystroke.
Sorry I react lately. There a shortcut named "Preview: Play" that does play/stop and another named "Preview: Play From Current Image" that does play/pause.
Padruig

Post by Padruig »

Sorry I react lately. There a shortcut named "Preview: Play" that does play/stop and another named "Preview: Play From Current Image" that does play/pause.
No, problem. I just discovered the issue. I use the "Preview: Play" command and I have that set as a shortcut to my "enter" key on Mac OS. It starts to play but won't stop when I press the enter key again. Instead, it just fills up the timeline with bookmarks.

But today, I tried binding that same Preview: Play command to a different key (Ctrl+p) and that shortcut will work properly, both play and stop. So the issue only happens when I bind it to the enter key. Weird! It is just a bug with that specific key I guess. I will just change my shortcut for now and that solves the problem.