Stream Deck Implementation Topic is solved

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Title In Large

Stream Deck Implementation

Post by Title In Large »

Hi TV Paint guys!

Every keyboard shortcut slot in my TV Paint has been completely filled up for my animation workflow. However I was wondering whether it has been taken into consideration to implement the Elgato Stream Deck in TV Paint? Envisioning the ability to macro every possible menu action and also every custom panel and it's macros/brushes /modifications at the click on a keyboard would be a phenomenal workflow asset - allowing you to bypass clicking and going through lots of hoops, but most importantly, infinite macro/shortcut commands. :D

Lots of love!
Dean
Site Admin

Re: Stream Deck Implementation

Post by Dean »

Hello Title in Large, yes native compatibility with such peripherals would be very cool for the next TVPaint version, however since it is possible to assign keyboard hotkeys to the stream deck, you can already access most tools by assigning them to keyboard keys, then to the Stream deck, even the ones from custom panels, since their names appear in the shortcut menu.
Probably a vampire
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Title In Large wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 11:00 Every keyboard shortcut slot in my TV Paint has been completely filled up for my animation workflow.
Consider using rooms
this allows you to have 4 different UI customization within your config, giving you virtually 4 keyboards to customize
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Title In Large

Post by Title In Large »

Dean wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 11:25 Hello Title in Large, yes native compatibility with such peripherals would be very cool for the next TVPaint version, however since it is possible to assign keyboard hotkeys to the stream deck, you can already access most tools by assigning them to keyboard keys, then to the Stream deck, even the ones from custom panels, since their names appear in the shortcut menu.
Of course. And I have maximised all the rooms for specific duties.

The practical issue I have though with a lot of the shortcut slots is the use of the Ctrl button and the Shift button which are both required to trigger a lot of the available custom shortcuts. When Ctrl is held down, regardless of whether it's part of a shortcut string or Ctrl on its own, if you interact with the screen the timeline will begin to "animate the stroke" in real-time as you touch the tablet. Start watching from 8:09/10:24 to see this in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oTe3Jz ... pJ&index=7
This becomes a big problem with any hotkey share shares the Ctrl button input. Could there perhaps be a way to optionally disable this feature in the future to prevent destructively force-animating on my work? If the undo/redo hotkeys use the classic Ctrl+Z buttons for example, touching the canvas sets off this unintentional problem.

Additionally with the Shift button, the interaction on screen can look somewhat dodgy due to the fact that shift is often treated as a ruler to get a perfect straight line from the last touched point to the next, it can create unwanted glitchy lines when you next animate. This tends to be common when painting. For example I use the shift+F4 to adjust the Luminosity bar in the colours, but this spasms every time I do this. See the image below for the example.
Screenshot 2021-03-17 160236.png
Screenshot 2021-03-17 160236.png (13.68 KiB) Viewed 21331 times
The ideal I assumed was that the bars of the colours can be changed flexibly while you continue painting, changing them and you go, somewhat like dabbing and mixing paints. :mrgreen: If not, again, could the straight line shift button mechanic be optionally disabled too?

I know that a work around can be to assign such buttons to all but the Ctrl and Shifts, but in all honesty close to three quarters of the shortcut slots use these buttons to trigger.

As this is a Improvements Requests section, could there possibly be an option to scrub zoom via holding a single button shortcut as an alternative to the present Alt+Right Click? Only because I'm a single button kind of guy - using my programmable keyboard to have a single button made as the right click button! :mrgreen: When doing this my pen doesn't need to make contact with the screen and I somewhat levitate my eraser function on my animations, which is far more swift and fluid that using pressure with the stylus fingers. Sort of like an airbrush without any tension.

Thank you for your time!
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Title In Large wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 18:43 When Ctrl is held down, regardless of whether it's part of a shortcut string or Ctrl on its own, if you interact with the screen the timeline will begin to "animate the stroke" in real-time as you touch the tablet. This becomes a big problem with any hotkey share shares the Ctrl button input. Could there perhaps be a way to optionally disable this feature in the future to prevent destructively force-animating on my work?
Disable that function in the Preferences > General tab by unchecking the box next to Stroke Animator.
Uncheck_Stroke_Animator_CTRL_in_Prefs.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Title In Large

Post by Title In Large »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 18:57
Title In Large wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 18:43 When Ctrl is held down, regardless of whether it's part of a shortcut string or Ctrl on its own, if you interact with the screen the timeline will begin to "animate the stroke" in real-time as you touch the tablet. This becomes a big problem with any hotkey share shares the Ctrl button input. Could there perhaps be a way to optionally disable this feature in the future to prevent destructively force-animating on my work?
Disable that function in the Preferences > General tab by unchecking the box next to Stroke Animator.

Uncheck_Stroke_Animator_CTRL_in_Prefs.png
Thank you very much, D.T! :D
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Title In Large wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 18:43 As this is a Improvements Requests section, could there possibly be an option to scrub zoom via holding a single button shortcut as an alternative to the present Alt+Right Click?
I was just browsing the forum for ways to zoom on an Android tablet and came across a very old post from a former staff member, which could be the solution to your problem too:
In the TOOLS section of the shortcuts you can find an entry called "Right Mouse Button". You can assign a key to it (for example R) and than map Alt+R to your keyboard/stream deck to get a single button for zooming. It's not a lot more comfortable, but at least you don't need to find a way to simulate a right click somehow.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM