Color Palette pop up at the cursor

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Svengali

Color Palette pop up at the cursor

Post by Svengali »

I've been using Mark's PPalette utility (which by the way I love and recommend) and it uses two cursor pop up gadgets for mixing paint colors in an innovative way well suited to painting... But for drawing or for cel coloring I thought it might be handier to work from a pre-defined pop up palette.

I was imagining a color palette, 16 x 16 squares containing 256 colors (as defined in the color BIN option) which could be assigned to a shortcut key to POP UP AT THE CURSOR, wait for the user to select a color, then once picked, close automatically? The palette colors could be either those currently assigned in the color BIN or some other default or custom palette selected under a new tab named POPUP added to the color picker options.

I'd give it a shot if I knew more about C but I don't (subtle hint to any coder who thinks this might be worth doing.)

Sven
masterchief

Re: Color Palette pop up at the cursor

Post by masterchief »

My practice has been to create a separate palette layer...

I turn on grid
click on rectangle select to designate area
select color for my palette
click on floodfill then mouseclick inside designated area
use panning tool to slide palette to right.. which will snap as grid is still on
select another color
rectangle selection has not moved so I now have the same area to floodfill with new color.
use panning tool to slide palette to the right
how many colors you want in the palette.

a script could be written to automate some of the steps

I just like to do it.... :)

I also like to just pull my colors off the project window as it becomes your palette after you get far enough into it.

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

This script draws the palette in a rectangle.
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2445

Maybe you can find it useful.
Manuel
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

I know that there is a contributed script to write color palette to project window... then just use Color:Pick keyboard shortcut to select... it is possible to create this script for sure

regards,
William
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

hey manuel.. YES! that is script that can help
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Thanks William,

Actually, after testing the TVP 9 demo, I found the easiest solution for me was to tear off the color palette panel and drop it right in the center of the project window. Then, assign the pen's shift-key + barrel switch shortcut key to "Interface: Toggle Palette Panel".

Anytime I want the palette visible I hold down shift-key and press the pen barrel switch and up pops the palette panel. After Choosing a color, I hold down the shift-key and press the pen barrel switch once more to hide the palette panel again.

It's almost exactly what I pictured. release 9 looks like it's going to be fantastic. :D

Sven

[edit: Specifically, I have assigned the upper barrel switch to the "i" shortcut key to initiate a "Brush:Cut Freehand" operation. With the Shift key + "i" assigned to "interface: Toggle Palette Panel", the upper barrel switch toggles the palette panel.
Last edited by Svengali on 30 Jun 2008, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

I ordered my upgrade over the weekend...

manuel's script writes palette to window, 'color:pick' command initiates selection process... just need to combine the two together... I will work on version for myself and make it public when bugs are eliminated. somebody else may beat me to it though....

regards,
William