Multiplane camera wizard

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
slowtiger

Multiplane camera wizard

Post by slowtiger »

First: the multiplane tool is great. The concept was familiar to me since AnimeStudio uses the same approach, more or less. And the "wizard" is nice. Slick piece of software.

However, I'm curious about how others create this effect. What I do is this:
First I draw all the layers I need, and in the position I want to end the multiplane camera movement with. Then I use the wizard and create the planes. Now comes the hard part: for each plane I have to adjust the size! The first one with Z=0 is the reference layer, and the others need to be enlarged, the further away (negative values of Z), the more. After this I can do the camera movement.

This size adjustment causes me headaches. I wonder if it were possible to pimp the wizard in a way that it gets an additional checkbox, "Size Compensation Yes", so it not only sets the Z value for each plane but also enlarges the plane so it always fits the camera angle 100%. Of course this will only make sense as an initial setting, since any camera movement on the Z axis or any change of viewing angle (field of view) would destroy the effect. Or could this be made in a way that I can change settings, then press a button to re-calculate the compensation for a certain point?

(Alternatively I could just work out a little chart and type in the values, but since the wizard is already there and does the math, why should I bother?)
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Peter Wassink

Re: Multiplane camera wizard

Post by Peter Wassink »

good suggestion!
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
hisko

Post by hisko »

slowtiger wrote:First: the multiplane tool is great. The concept was familiar to me since AnimeStudio uses the same approach, more or less. And the "wizard" is nice. Slick piece of software.

However, I'm curious about how others create this effect. What I do is this:
First I draw all the layers I need, and in the position I want to end the multiplane camera movement with. Then I use the wizard and create the planes. Now comes the hard part: for each plane I have to adjust the size! The first one with Z=0 is the reference layer, and the others need to be enlarged, the further away (negative values of Z), the more. After this I can do the camera movement.

This size adjustment causes me headaches. I wonder if it were possible to pimp the wizard in a way that it gets an additional checkbox, "Size Compensation Yes", so it not only sets the Z value for each plane but also enlarges the plane so it always fits the camera angle 100%. Of course this will only make sense as an initial setting, since any camera movement on the Z axis or any change of viewing angle (field of view) would destroy the effect. Or could this be made in a way that I can change settings, then press a button to re-calculate the compensation for a certain point?

(Alternatively I could just work out a little chart and type in the values, but since the wizard is already there and does the math, why should I bother?)
That's a mighty good idea.
hisko

Post by hisko »

That's a very good idea!
Maybe hard to realize, I don't know.
Greg Lawson

Post by Greg Lawson »

Did this ever get realized?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Greg Lawson wrote: 13 Feb 2017, 11:51 Did this ever get realized?
Just bumping this up , re: Greg's question .

+1 . This was a good idea. Is it possible to implement in the current engine or wait for the next one ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I agree, this feature would be great, but since it's almost 10 years old, I'm afraid it would have been done if it had been possible.
But who knows ? I moved it to the right section :)
Greg Lawson

Post by Greg Lawson »

I know it's a feature in two different AfterEffects scripts Ive found, but its nice if I can just stay in TVPaint. :-) I can send links to those scripts if it's helpful.