Auto Smooth Line While You Draw

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Boomslang

Re: Auto Smooth Line While You Draw

Post by Boomslang »

Ah, so the what I reffered to as "lag" is just an inevitable side effect of having smoothing with Bitmap. Which afterwards became the butt of a "animators not having to draw at all and let the computer calculate everything" joke. :evil: :wink:

To remove any misunderstanding, I asked this, because in flash you can just draw with the smoothing effect in real time, without having the line to follow your movements slowly. In flash you make the line and it alters the smoothing afterwards. I guess I kind of expected the TVpaint 9 smooth function to be like this. I personally love Flash's smoothing (as long as it's not overly obvious), for it makes for smoother lines, but I can see why others don't like it. I think it makes animating on a computer a bit less tedious, especially without the luxury of a Cintiq.

A fine example of the great line quality a good artist can get out of vectors, without the Vectors being distractingly obvious is this animation:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/brewtv/alpha9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might say: Why not animate in Flash then? Because the rest of the animation functions in flash are inferior to the superb ones in TVpaint. If you want to do things in Flash like adding an inbetween, it's just very unhandy.

Anyway, sorry to dig this ancient question* up again , but I guess we will never see a Vector option in TVpaint? :( What is holding you guys back from implementing it? (except that it might be very hard to create and you're trying to define yourself from other animation programs as a great Bitmap program only...But it's worth a try to ask (again)!)

* viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1764&hilit=vector
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

In "Real Time" mode (In the "Shape Settings" panel) you have the lag, if you disable "Real Time" you get the smoothing afterwards.
Half the people prefer one way of doing the smoothing, the other half the other way.
It's your choice.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

When I draw TVPaint brush in first time, I thought "It is needless smooth option like FractalDesign Painter I used to be".
So my TVPaint brush setting is turn off "smooth" but go to extreme settings for "Speed" and "Limit"(*).
TVPbrush.png
(*)my draw style is "Scribble on a digital paper", not a professional.
〝稽古とは 一より習ひ 十を知り 十よりかへる もとのその一〟 利休
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

ten_zero wrote:When I draw TVPaint brush in first time, I thought "It is needless smooth option like FractalDesign Painter I used to be".
So my TVPaint brush setting is turn off "smooth" but go to extreme settings for "Speed" and "Limit"(*).
TVPbrush.png
(*)my draw style is "Scribble on a digital paper", not a professional.
that's the connection panel.
i don't fully understand all its functions but when i try setting limit to 330 like you, i have to draw impossibly fast to get a line?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Peter Wassink wrote: that's the connection panel.
i don't fully understand all its functions but when i try setting limit to 330 like you, i have to draw impossibly fast to get a line?
Some Professional Animators began inspect it here.
They knows about TVPaint very well and what is better setting and use for professional works than me (an amateur).
〝稽古とは 一より習ひ 十を知り 十よりかへる もとのその一〟 利休
CoreyAnimator

Post by CoreyAnimator »

I really love the smooth feature but I do wish that it was under brush settings instead of the popout menu because I dream of be able to save presets for the smoothness. Mainly because Im always changing the smoothness settings while I ink certain things and it gets alittle tedious constantly dragging from 0 to 100+ digits.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

The feature is now explained in the Appendix :D
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Anytime a not-much-animator visits there comes that question they all ask, sooner or later. How is TVPaint different from Flash. Now that I have this smoothing pen it's easy for me to show and everyone gets it instantly.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Scoobyx

Post by Scoobyx »

Every should check out the auto smooth setting in Manga studio 4.0 four and Illust studio 1.6....Also the way Illust especially gives you the best approach to using color thats availabel. Every new programme should have autosmooth ist just impossible to draw a smooth line on the computer freehand style without it, no matter how good an artist anyone claims to be. Its needed in TvP especially.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Every should check out the auto smooth setting in Manga studio 4.0 four and Illust studio 1.6....Also the way Illust especially gives you the best approach to using color thats availabel. Every new programme should have autosmooth ist just impossible to draw a smooth line on the computer freehand style without it, no matter how good an artist anyone claims to be. Its needed in TvP especially.

it's already in TVP Animation ^^

Windows => Shape settings :
smooth0.png
smooth0.png (11.86 KiB) Viewed 35258 times
Don't forget to update your TVP Animation.
Scoobyx

Post by Scoobyx »

tvpaint is only for roughing out ideas fast. it is far from being a pro package like Toon Boom Animate 2. Its lack of smooth lines and vector is just one more straw i have observed that has to do with bad software designer oversight, especially when 90 percent of the other designers have it. Adobe Photoshop has the same lack of smoothing lines. It seems as though some illuminati scheme is embedding itself amongst the graphics community. I say this because I and others have seen people use hidden smoothing and 3D functions in Photoshop on numerous occasions while others denied it exist. Smoothing is just one hidden feature for Photoshop that elitist non artist keep for themselves. Its a shame when someone calls themselves a artist and use a string of code to pretend to be better than others.
Scoobyx

Post by Scoobyx »

Guys the type of technology in auto smooth is unavoidably going to affect artist who dont use it , thats why its called technology, People who dont belive in its use are the stupid ones who get buried by it and cant produce faster and more effcetively to compete. Its like making a argument for riding a horse and a cart on a city street..
donbartolo

Post by donbartolo »

tvpaint is only for roughing out ideas fast. it is far from being a pro package like Toon Boom Animate 2.
Scoobix> I also wish that TV Paint would implement more vector tools, but i can't agree with you.

>For bitmap use, i don't see another animation competitor that can provide in one single package as much tools as Tvpaint. And the feeling when drawing with the pencil tool feels so amazingly natural. This soft is extremely Pro.

TB Animate (pro)2 is for sure a great vector package, but ...
>the feeling of drawing doesn't feel as natural as TvPaint
For exemple: You always draw at the same level of color transparency, which limits creativity in 'roughing out ideas'
... A very good start, isn't it... :D

> the vector tools are far from being perfect
For exemple: pencil<>brush stroke, no connection 2 strokes, cutting eraser doesn't work with pencil line, a lot of ancher points makes it a nightmare when enlarging brush stroke, ...), and the vector lines are not always 100% controlled : messy stroke width, no fade in / fade out, limited types of brushes, ...

In my opinion, Animate is the best available solution when you want to make complex flash-like animations like on cartoon network, but feels a lot more limited if you want to produce other type of animations.

Be patient, maybe TV Paint will implement vector tools in the future (i also added a vector request), but telling that Tv Paint is not pro because it's not vector-oriented is even objective as telling that TB Animate is not pro because it's not bitmap oriented. ^^;
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Scoobyx wrote:Guys the type of technology in auto smooth is unavoidably going to affect artist who dont use it , thats why its called technology, People who dont belive in its use are the stupid ones who get buried by it and cant produce faster and more effcetively to compete. Its like making a argument for riding a horse and a cart on a city street..
Cool it Scoobyx! You speak with arrogance as if you want a horse and cart to be equipped with a gas tank and an automobile come equipped with a sack of oats.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
Scoobyx wrote:Guys the type of technology in auto smooth is unavoidably going to affect artist who dont use it , thats why its called technology, People who dont belive in its use are the stupid ones who get buried by it and cant produce faster and more effcetively to compete. Its like making a argument for riding a horse and a cart on a city street..
Cool it Scoobyx! You speak with arrogance as if you want a horse and cart to be equipped with a gas tank and an automobile come equipped with a sack of oats.
Paul, Scoobyx is most likely a troll, as been established previously. By this I mean that his intention in participating in the forums is only to denigrate TVP and praise other porgrams. If you look at all of his posts he does nothing but that.