When less is probably better!!

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
angry_ookami

When less is probably better!!

Post by angry_ookami »

Hi Guyz..

Can we have a 1 bit layer ( or an 8 bit layer ) in the next TVpaint version?
You may ask: Why?
Well..
Because it is faster, and memory saving.. also.. as an animator/comic artist, the stages that requires speed is the sketching/inking stage, which can be done with one bit layer more efficiently..
Does the 1 bit layer make any sense?
When using PhotoShop, I found that drawing on a Channel is faster than drawing on the usual 32bit Layer.. cause when I draw on a channel, It’s like I am drawing on a 8 bit layer, not a 32bit Layer, which is faster and takes less space in RAM and HDD.
Also..
There is a certain Japanese software for drawing comics, which deals with 1 and 2bit layers, u can draw on a 10,000x20,000 pixels project, with any number of layers, and the software is very fast, and the project file size is merely 2MB in size.

So, even if u use aliased inks/pencils on a project with HUGE resolution, u can scale it down 2 or 4 times and get the anti-aliased edges, and while sketching/animating/inking u can have a very good amount of pixels to draw detail and fine tune ur lines.

So, in short, if I have a 1 bit or 2 bit project in TVpaint, I can make it 10,000x5,000 pixels and draw aliased stuff quickly, ink it and then reduce it, then convert it to 32 bit, then I can color , shade, and compose it.

I did some TV commercials, with AURA 2.0.. I made a project which is 1440x1152 ( PAL D1 x2 ), sketched, animated and inked (and colored), then converted it to PAL D1, I wished I had more performance, which can be obtained by a 1 bit layers/project. Please consider it.

Thanks for reading this!!
cartoonM!ke

Post by cartoonM!ke »

The Comics program I'm using for this is Manga Studio (you can get it from E-Frontier). I've created templates sized for the various screen sizes of projects that you can create in TVPaint.

The 'story' file that I create in MS has a page for each scene and each page has breakdowns in their own layer. When the penciling is done I export each page as a Photoshop file and then each layer as its own file. I then import each file into TVPaint to use for creating an anamatic (spelling).

That's a whole lot of work, as if animation isn't hard enough.

I agree with what Ookami said. Adding a bit-depth option to layers would be a boon especially if one could choose a color to replace Black for the 1,2 and 8 bit options.

Maybe the Layers palette could have two sections (and could be collasped like individual layers are now) One section could be the "finished" section and work much like the layers do now. The new section could be called "breakdowns" or "storyboarding" where roughs could be polished up, inked and then "graduated" to the "Finish" section. When exported as a movie, the Breakdown layers wouldn't be exported -- only the layers in the Finished section would be. Of course this could be changed by options when the project is exported.

Just my opinion.

mike
I don't want it all --
Where would I put it?
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

I would like to add my support to this.
If you have 1,2, or 8 bit animation process, combined with a very simplified customized toolbar, this could turn TVPaint marketable as the ultimate line-testing tool. Since you won't need the color palette, nor any pf the other toolbar, you can make a toolbar which will contain only the basic minimum, you are looking at a very appealing interface and performance package, Particularly for schools
cresshead

Post by cresshead »

yeah a slimmed down version of tv paint could do well for college/schools /uni and hobbyists which could open up people to 2d animation and they could then go and upgrade to a fullwer more feature rich version later on...

interesting idea! :)
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

I was talking more of supporting the lower bit layers. Since you can already customize the interface to be very minimal, it can appeal to institutions as it is already.
Yet, i agree, a slimmed down tvpaint will have a market.