TVPaint 11 fixes and improvements I would like to see

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Paul Fierlinger

Re: TVPaint 11 fixes and improvements I would like to see

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

This is a wonderful asset for me since between the two of us and our internal network we have multiple versions of the same project on multi hard drives. At times I would become confused about which version I had been using and start making changes to the wrong one. We always need to be able to trace the source of each project we are working on.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

I can see that being useful, but why not make it an option to choose? For me, it's visual clutter and less pleasing to use. Also, the heading of the project on screen always shows the path anyway.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, there could be something done with a bit of typography.
1. Show the filename (the thing after the last slash or backslash) in bold.
2. Align all paths in the list so the last slash or backslash line up.
This way all who need the full path still have it (I need that), all searching for just a file are able to concentrate on that easier.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

+1 __ Very good idea :idea:
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

+1 But also, a simple pref selection with a box to tick: "show full path in recent items list". Tick that box, and that's what you get. Easy.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

I just found out the the F12 hide panels command is broken on Macs. Please see this thread, which explains. http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php? ... 001#p85001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So this is another bug that needs fixing. It is often necessary to quickly hid panels so that I can see the full image, but I can't do that now. I hope this bug will be addressed soon! I hope they all will!!
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

David_Fine wrote:a simple pref selection with a box to tick: "show full path in recent items list". Tick that box, and that's what you get. Easy.
I thin kI will prefe this. I also think the recent item list is a bit hard to read with the entire path. and only need the file name.

I don't need the entire path in my workflow. (But understand others do)

-Mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Man, I wish TVPaint would open on my Cintiq every time. Why doesn't it when every other app has no problem doing this??
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

When we contact Apple support for development, they need 2 weeks to answer us with an "have you tried turning it off and on again"...

Man, I wish Apple would take more in consideration small companies' support requests. Why is that such a pain to develop on Mac when it's a piece of cake on other OS ?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:When we contact Apple support for development, they need 2 weeks to answer us with an "have you tried turning it off and on again"...
Ugh. I hate that ! :x I am surprised they use that same standard form letter jive talk with software developers that they use on the average consumer emailing or calling in to the Apple Store for support: "Have you tried turning it on and off again ? " "Is the monitor plugged in ?" "Have you updated the drivers?" , etc. ... all things that almost anyone (except maybe the newest newbie) will have tried before contacting them. I have emailed or called Apple for support and I always preface my support request by telling them that "yes, my computer is turned on , yes the monitor is plugged in to the computer, yes, I have tried re-booting in Safe Mode , yes, yes, yes ... all the standard easy fixes have been tried " .... then the first thing they respond with is : "Have you tried rebooting your computer ? " or something similar. They won't go off-script. Occasionally you'll get a conscientious tech support person who listens/reads carefully and does not automatically follow the script , but most of them are like robots. Wacom Support is the same in dealing with anyone who is not a big company. They will not help. "Send in your Cintiq for repair and we might get it back to you in 2 - 3 weeks" ("Oh, what's that you say ? You are a professional artist and you need your Cintiq to work for the next 2 - 3 weeks while we are repairing it ? Too bad ... I guess you should have purchased a spare ... :evil: " ) Whereas , if a large studio calls in for support Wacom will send someone onsite immediately to fix the problems , or have a 1 - 2 day expedited turnaround if the item must be shipped to a repair center.

Sorry for the rant ... :?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

No worries, I understand that feeling, David :roll:
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

"Have you updated the drivers?
that's exactly what happened when reporting the latest bug with wacom tablet to Apple. http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fabrice Debarge
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

D.T. Nethery wrote:Wacom Support is the same in dealing with anyone who is not a big company. They will not help. "Send in your Cintiq for repair and we might get it back to you in 2 - 3 weeks" ("Oh, what's that you say ? You are a professional artist and you need your Cintiq to work for the next 2 - 3 weeks while we are repairing it ? Too bad ... I guess you should have purchased a spare ... :evil: " ) Whereas , if a large studio calls in for support Wacom will send someone onsite immediately to fix the problems , or have a 1 - 2 day expedited turnaround if the item must be shipped to a repair center.
The wacom support in germany was extremely courteous, as I got a problem with my pretty new Cintiq 12WX. One day it didn't showed me a picture at all, cause the converter box broke. The wacom support offered me to either send in my converter and get it fixed in two weeks or to give my converter box a UPS man the next day, which will give me a refurbished one in return. So I could use my cintiq the next day.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

So to me, the end user, notwithstanding your frustrations with Apple, I just don't get why TVPaint is unique in not opening the way it should. The fact that every other app I have does this properly and TVPaint does not, still surprises me.

On another not, the audio issue still exists. When I load a sound, it has pops in it and it repeats at the end. This is a considerable flaw which I hope you might be addressing real soon. :?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

David_Fine wrote:So to me, the end user, notwithstanding your frustrations with Apple, I just don't get why TVPaint is unique in not opening the way it should.
David, it actually did open correctly : I was used to get my TVPaint opening on my second screen until I upgraded my Mac.
Please, just try to understand that we did not change something in our code. Apple did and since they just don't give a shit about us (no update report, no support, our messages are deleted from their forum because nobody should question their products), finding the source of the issue is like doing speleology without a torch lamp.
David_Fine wrote:On another not, the audio issue still exists. When I load a sound, it has pops in it and it repeats at the end. This is a considerable flaw which I hope you might be addressing real soon.
This one is different and does not come from Apple, but from FFMPEG libraries. It's already a priority, since it also affects Linux and Android users.

Actually, there is a difference between fixing an issue from TVPaint features and fixing an issue due to external elements : libraries and in / out entries are much more difficult to fix (in / out entries = managing screen, tablet, webcam, OS specifities, etc.).
When there is a bug with a TVPaint tool, usually it can be fixed in a very short time. But when there is a problem like the tablet losing information or TVPaint's interface that does not open on the good screen, it's then much more complex.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience :)