Academy Award winning "If Anything Happens I Love You" animated with TVPaint

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
D.T. Nethery

Academy Award winning "If Anything Happens I Love You" animated with TVPaint

Post by D.T. Nethery »

https://www.animationmagazine.net/anima ... f-tragedy/

This year’s Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film was "If Anything Happens I Love You", which won over Pixar’s "Burrow" (Madeline Sharafian, Michael Capbarat), "Genius Loci" (Adrien Mérigeau, Amaury Ovise), "Opera" (Erick Oh), and "Yes-People" (Gísli Darri Halldórsson, Arnar Gunnarsson).

"If Anything Happens, I Love You" is a short about two grieving parents. The directors, Will McCormack and Michael Govier, dedicated the win to anyone who has lost a loved one to gun violence. The film is available to watch on Netflix.

(*of note: at least two of the other nominated short films, "Burrow" and "Opera" were also animated with TVPaint. I'm not entirely sure whether or not a fourth film , "Genius Loci", was also made with TVPaint . (the director and others who worked on that film have also worked in the past with Cartoon Saloon, who use TVPaint in their productions; UPDATE below). Also, one of the films nominated in the Best Animated Feature Film category, Cartoon Saloon's "Wolfwalkers" , was made with TVPaint. It's a bit surprising to me that the TVPaint Co. doesn't make more of this in their publicity. It seems to me that TVPaint's social media, such as Instagram and Facebook, mostly highlights student films and small independent projects made with TVPaint (which is well and good, let's not forget those!), but it seems that more could be said about some of these high-profile films made with TVPaint. )
If_Anything_Happens_I_Love_You.jpg
Lead animator Youngran Nho and director Michael Govier-
youngran_nho_michael_govier_TVP.jpg

------

UPDATE: On his Vimeo page , director of “Genius Loci” , Adrien Merigeau, confirms:

"The frames were animated with TVPaint but the final lines and colours are made manually on paper using watercolours and inks. Compositing in After Effects."

So four of the nominated short films , If Anything Happens I Love You, Burrow, Opera, and Genius Loci , were made using TVPaint.

https://vimeo.com/377076341

Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 28 Apr 2021, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Re: Academy Award winning "If Anything Happens I Love You" animated with TVPaint

Post by Peter Wassink »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 14:49 ... It's a bit surprising to me that the TVPaint Co. doesn't make more of this in their publicity. ...
i'm less surprised... unfortunately...
in the past years i have not been able to catch management taking any interest, maybe they do but then they are very good at hiding it.

I fully agree with you David, this is publicity & marketing GOLD!!!
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Academy Award winning "If Anything Happens I Love You" animated with TVPaint

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 14:49It's a bit surprising to me that the TVPaint Co. doesn't make more of this in their publicity. It seems to me that TVPaint's social media, such as Instagram and Facebook, mostly highlights student films and small independent projects made with TVPaint (which is well and good, let's not forget those!), but it seems that more could be said about some of these high-profile films made with TVPaint. )
I understand and share this view, but there is something else to consider: sometimes, studios (some Hollywood studios for example) are, as you probably know, very secretive and/or very nitpicky about the what they use. Some explicitely forbidden us to even mention the fact that TVPaint was used...
It's not that we don't want to, sometimes we just can't or don't have the rights to do so yet :|
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 14:43
D.T. Nethery wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 14:49It's a bit surprising to me that the TVPaint Co. doesn't make more of this in their publicity. It seems to me that TVPaint's social media, such as Instagram and Facebook, mostly highlights student films and small independent projects made with TVPaint (which is well and good, let's not forget those!), but it seems that more could be said about some of these high-profile films made with TVPaint. )
I understand and share this view, but there is something else to consider: sometimes, studios (some Hollywood studios for example) are, as you probably know, very secretive and/or very nitpicky about the what they use. Some explicitely forbidden us to even mention the fact that TVPaint was used...
It's not that we don't want to, sometimes we just can't or don't have the rights to do so yet :|
I understand that , but when the studios mention TVPaint in their own publicity material (interviews with directors , etc.) I think it becomes public knowledge.

Example: both directors of Pixar's recent hand drawn animated shorts, "Kitbull" and "Burrow" had used TVPaint during their art school days and wanted to use it on their short films they made at Pixar. Both mentioned TVPaint in interviews they did about their films. It was not a secret. However, the only mention that was made here on the forum or on Facebook about "Kitbull" and "Burrow" using TVPaint was from me, not from anyone at the TVPaint Co. Same with the Neflix-produced short "If Anything Happens I Love You". The filmmakers mention TVPaint in interviews they give about the making of the film. It is not a secret. I could name other examples.

I understand that during production of a film some studios may want to keep a lid on any discussion of production processes (including what software they use) , but after it becomes public knowledge through interviews with directors and animators who work on these films , I can't see any reason not to share this information. Forgive me if I am unaware of contractual obligations that prevent the TVPaint Co. from sharing this information , but I will continue to share it as I become aware of it.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello David, I can confirm what Thierry said but I also understand your point of view. Our Communication department was recently joined by Camille, who has many good ideas to improve our visibility on social media and make our content more diverse. You should see some changes in the coming months :)
Probably a vampire
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

"How Will McCormack and Michael Govier Drew Art out of Tragedy"

https://www.animationmagazine.net/anima ... f-tragedy/

I wish I could create art as an outlet for pain. Instead, it is partially crippling if the experience has any direct tie to my artistic expression and partially separate if it has nothing to do with it. It can feel like being emotionally punched in the stomach and deflated with overwhelming sadness........quite counter-productive. I switched to animation and cartooning and no longer do fine art as a result of it becoming a depressing activity.

I guess if you can be productive and use it as an outlet the sky is the limit and your outlet being nominated for an Academy Award can occupy the same universe. Congrats to TV Paint for being the tool facilitating their road to success.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro