"Joust" Animatic--Griffin Rider v.s. Undead Dragon

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
koizu

"Joust" Animatic--Griffin Rider v.s. Undead Dragon

Post by koizu »

hello TVPaint community!

This is my first post and I wanted to share with you an animatic I made with the old Mirage program. I used the demo to create this and finished it in three weeks. It features a battle between a griffon rider and an undead dragon rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXMwpDVPaLE

When I discovered that Mirage had been discontinued I was saddened because I had hoped to purchase it to create more animated works. Recently, I learned that the developers of Mirage had created TVPaint! It looks fantastic and there seems to be many improvements since the old Mirage. I'm looking forward to testing out the demo soon and I'm sure I will be purchasing the software as well.

I hope to share more of my animation with you in the future. Everyone's work here is very inspring!
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Wow... Great work Koizu! Very dynamic sequence, solid drawing and excellent use of the modern anime conventions in a very original take on the joust battle.
:D

Strong work like this can help spread the word about our favorite animation software, maybe you want to add "TVPaint" as a tag in youtube?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

I agree. Really amazing work!

M.
koizu

Post by koizu »

thanks guys. :) And nice idea Tantalus. I went and changed the description in Youtube so now it says "made using TVP Animation." I also added a comment encouraging people to visit this website. So far, it's been getting around a hundred views a day so hopefully some of those people will come and visit.
rony

Post by rony »

Very cool ! Nice work , drawings , cam moving , characters etc ...
Congratulation.
Prekk

Post by Prekk »

This is really great ! The camera movements are amazing :D
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Wow, that's outstanding ! Beautiful animatic .

I added it to all the various YouTube links I've put up on this site:

http://paperless-animation.blogspot.com

I'm collecting all the links I can find of projects animated using TVP Animation (including "Mirage" projects) .

I send my students and other interested parties to this page to show them how versatile TVP is .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Thank you Koizu for this. I hope to see more of your work!
Ex TVPaint Team
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

la classe!

very "advanced" Animatic indeed!
some scenes are practically already (roughly) key-animated,
nice framing too! 8)

great job David,
this blog gathering tvp animations and WIPs is a wonderful idea!
:wink:
koizu

Post by koizu »

I appreciate the link David. Thank you. There are some amazing work on your site! Where do you teach?

thanks again to everyone. :)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

koizu wrote: Where do you teach?
I teach animation at The Academy of Art in San Francisco. (but I am with the Online Dept. , so I am not in San Francisco . I'm in Orlando, FL . I worked at Disney Animation Orlando until it was shut down during the last years of the Eisner regime.)

I recommend TVP Animation to my students and we're gradually working on integrating it more into the 2D Animation Program at AAU.

Are you the same Mike Koizumi who has worked on My Little World with Mike Nguyen ?
I am so eager to see that film finished. I am hoping that "our little world" of 2D animation makes more personal, intimate feature films like "My Little World" and "Persepolis" , or "The Triplets of Belleville"

koizu

Post by koizu »

hey David,

I'm the same Mike Koizumi. :)

It's been a long journey for "My Little World." Can't wait to see it finished too--looking forward to the day when we can all sit in the theater and watch it on the big screen. That'll be something special.

It's cool that your trying to integrate TVP into your classes. I haven't played around with it yet but it looks to me like a complete 2D animation and filmmaking package. That's why I'm so excited about it. You can be at home and make a really nice looking 2D animated film.

As more people here about TVP and learn it, I'm sure we're going to see a lot more personal films like you mentioned, even smaller groups of people producing features.

one more question (this is for everyone): do you know if a lot of people use TVP Animation with a Cintiq monitor or a tablet PC? I haven't done that yet but I would think I'd enjoy the whole process a lot more if I could draw on the screen.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

koizu wrote: do you know if a lot of people use TVP Animation with a Cintiq monitor or a tablet PC? I haven't done that yet but I would think I'd enjoy the whole process a lot more if I could draw on the screen.

I use a Cintiq and I really do find it more enjoyable to draw directly on the screen , especially for clean-up.

Here is my set-up, with the Cintiq retro-fitted into my traditional animation desk . (the two knobs are Griffin Powermates , used for controlling the "virtual disc" rotation , which is more precise even than physically rotating the Cintiq , and the other Powermate scrubs back-and-forth on the timeline so I can do something that resembles rolling/flipping the drawings).

The Cintiq mount for putting it into a traditional animation desk is available here: Turntablet Mount . Some people prefer to have them mounted on a movable "arm" (laptop mount) which I think would also have some advantages.
Attachments
Powermate_setup.jpg
Powermate_setup.jpg (76.53 KiB) Viewed 37048 times

Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Excellent work Koizu ! :D
Fabrice Debarge
airman

Post by airman »

great work, i didn't knew that, hope to see the final very soon.